Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #1

Haulin' the cart!!

Well it's August and i'm already lookin' at heading back to Florida only with my golf cart this year. I understand it's illegal to double tow(a trailer behind my fiver)but iv'e seen it so many times and I just hate having to buy a cart to leave down there when I have a perfectly good cart already. I have a Dodge ram 3500 diesel dually loaded for bear,moose and the occasional cold beer towing a beautiful CC Daydreamer with a class 3 hitch mounted on her rear,I'm considering a 6x10' enclosed cargo trailer to haul my cart and BBQ grill with a tray on the tougue for my Honda 3000 genny for layovers. Any thoughts or experiences out there?
MPI_Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Broken Toe

Some states allow two trailers. Its not automatically illegal.

Towing World Official Website

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

I've seen these swivel wheel trailers advertised but never seen one in person. I looked at the manufacturer's website and (not surprisingly) they consider this an extension of the vehicle it is mounted to and not a seperate trailer, with a disclaimer that not all states may agree with that interpretation.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Some states allow two trailers. Its not automatically illegal.

Towing World Official Website

Tim
Mallard indicated he's going back to Florida. It's definitely illegal to double-tow there. Florida has a page on it that spells it out clearly that it's illegal.

But, it appears that Mallard knows that and is looking for experiences for folks who have done it.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #5

I don't really want to break any laws in a country who Is having me as a guest so I decided to just buy a cart and leave it down there.
MPI_Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPI_Mallard View Post
Well it's August and i'm already lookin' at heading back to Florida only with my golf cart this year. I understand it's illegal to double tow(a trailer behind my fiver)but iv'e seen it so many times and I just hate having to buy a cart to leave down there when I have a perfectly good cart already. I have a Dodge ram 3500 diesel dually loaded for bear,moose and the occasional cold beer towing a beautiful CC Daydreamer with a class 3 hitch mounted on her rear,I'm considering a 6x10' enclosed cargo trailer to haul my cart and BBQ grill with a tray on the tougue for my Honda 3000 genny for layovers. Any thoughts or experiences out there?
If you are going to 'double tow', get a 'back up' camera installed on the back of your 5-er so that you can see your second towed trailer on your 'dash'......

Bad things happen and they happen fast and you will never even know it with your Dodge 3500 pulling a lighter 2nd trailer.

Had a trailer tire (mine) pass me on the road one day and it took a little bit to stop my unit. Never 'felt' nothing when it came off and I could have drove a 'long way' down the road if I did not see it with my own eyes a second after it came off.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Get a front mounted (snow plow) hitch and a swivel wheel trailer. At that point you are neither towing nor double-towing. Let's see them beat that one! Sometimes I amaze myself!!!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote