Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 PM   #1

Hauling my bike

Howdy good people :-)

The subject line says it all. We have a class C (sunseeker 3050) and because of this, unless we want to repeatedly break camp, we can’t actually go anywhere once we set up camp, and at 36’ it’s too long to drive around some small town places anyway.

I don’t want to tow a car, and I don’t want to tow my bike either.

What I’d really like to do is get a lift for the rear bumper so I can put the bike on there.

I’ve seen a couple and they are pretty pricey. Wondering if anyone has any link
To anything like this that is perhaps more manual that might cost a bit less?
Has to be beefy enough to hold my HD Fat Boy (700ish lbs)

I dont mind turning cranks or pumping levers. I DO mind paying $3500-4000
because I simply don’t have that kinda money...

Thanks for any tips or info

Chris and Juanita
Skyjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #2

I would think 700lbs on rack that rides out farther than a regular hitch would be to much weight for a class C. All these bike racks put the weight to far out and the lever action really increases the stress on the hitch and frame. Probably a light weight dirt bike would be ok, but really do your homework before you do it.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

I would agree with the above comment. I think you need to trailer the bike. The ones you see carrying something as big as a Fat Boy, are the Class "A" diesel pushers.

Adding 700+ pounds, and most likely closer to 900 pounds with everything needed, that far back, and it will have to be at least another 2'+ behind the bumper for your bars to clear, would make your front end too light, and most likely dangerous. The existing hitch, likely will also have to be replaced with a stronger one also, as it is probably only good for 500 pounds (check your manual).
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #4

Yes, an enclosed, ramp door 5x10 trailer will keep your Fat Boy looking nice when you travel..and the trailer will cost less than a heavy motorcycle rack on the back of your MH.
BTW, that much weight hanging on the back of a Class C could affect handling of your MH...check GVWR as well.

Tags
bike