Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #41
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVtraveller View Post
It's not a major issue to change the height and lower the truck a couple inches in the back.
Wheel size such as 20" vs 18" doesn't determine ride height. Tire diameter / profile does. But if you go with a smaller diameter tire to lower the truck. You increase the revolutions a tire makes per mile. And will effect your mpg, throw your towing power / capability out of spec, and throw your dash mpg guage and speedo out of sync. If you change the tire diameter, you could regear your axles and get an electrical device to correct the guage. But now it's getting real expensive.
IMO, the best plan would be to lower the rear a little, or buy a lower truck from Ram or Chevy. Or do an axle flip and lift the trailer.

If you go with a smaller profile tyre the dealer can reprogramme the computer for the smaller diameter. (at least with Ford vehicles).

Smaller diameter would effect the towing yes, but in a positive way, you'll have more pulling power as it will effectively give you lower gearing.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
Do the engineers not think about what people use these trucks for???
With all due respect, lots of people buy these Super Duties as a status symbol, and will never tow any trailer. I don't know what the ratio is, but I would guess more than 50 percent of Super Duties are non towing - status symbols.
Everyone knows they are expensive. And they look awesome. And the high grade ones, diesel Platinum, etc, are replacing Cadillacs and high end German cars.
Good news is, it's helping to keep Ford afloat.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #43

I was worried about the same issue when I upgraded to a 2019 F350. It is no longer an issue, my F350 had the hitch in the middle height and I was ready to move it lower but I tried it first and it fit perfectly! I am sure glad because it used to be a big problem! I know people who raised their trailer and I didn't want to raise the center of gravity of my fiver. It sure looks higher then the F250 but the truck bed floor isn't. I have 6 plus inches above the bed side walls. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
If you go with a smaller profile tyre the dealer can reprogramme the computer for the smaller diameter. (at least with Ford vehicles).

Smaller diameter would effect the towing yes, but in a positive way, you'll have more pulling power as it will effectively give you lower gearing.

Geoff
I didn't know Ford would do that. Good stuff that is.
Does it also correct the shift points on the transmission?
As for low end power, you will have more. But high speed will suffer with higher engine revs..
And to lower the truck an inch, one would have to get a tire diameter 2" lower. Now we're talking a goofy looking truck, IMO.
Just raise the trailer. Problem solved.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #45
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVtraveller View Post
I didn't know Ford would do that. Good stuff that is.
Does it also correct the shift points on the transmission?
As for low end power, you will have more. But high speed will suffer with higher engine revs..
And to lower the truck an inch, one would have to get a tire diameter 2" lower. Now we're talking a goofy looking truck, IMO.
Just raise the trailer. Problem solved.

Not sure about the shift points. It was my neighbour, his truck is a 2017 F250, factory equipped with 20" wheels, his choice of winter tyres were through the roof for pricing on 20", other brands were limited too, so the drop to 18" summer and winter gives him considerable savings in replacements. As for the drop in gearing, he loves the bit extra pulling power.

Don't know if it would affect warranty as his had run out anyway. He said they told him all they had to do was go into the computer and punch in the new tyre size, done!

Totally agree with your last, why fart around gaining an inch lower when you should be raising the trailer (assuming the pin box is already at it's lowest point).

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #46

thanks. I have exactly the same trailer. 2015 F350 4X4FX. The FX added the 4" blocks. Hitch is down all the way and still slightly nose high. Previously had a 03 F350 and a 00 Jayco. Ended up flipping the axles on the Jayco. Made for a big climb into the trailer. The rlx has 3 steps so I don't have to carry my homemade 3rd step.
fred3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred3 View Post
thanks. I have exactly the same trailer. 2015 F350 4X4FX. The FX added the 4" blocks.
One has to be careful with responses and when gathering information. The blocks are totally different 2017 and up.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #48

I realize that so I ran the compatibility check and the part # fits my truck also.
fred3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #49

To the Op see you have the pullrite superglide hitch what is your height to top of hitch from bed floor. How is your hitch connected to the truck, ford puck sys, bolt on etc. What base rails are you using with the superglide.

I have a 2017 F350 pull a CC Silverback with a ISR superglide hitch went thru same issue. With the right base rails and lowering the pin box, set the RV perfectly level. My prior truck was a 2010 F250. So I understand your concerns.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350