Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #41

Because for the OP's trailer, an F150 is a more than adequate truck. Is buying a well matched truck to the trailer settling? Why buy overkill when you don't have to?[/QUOTE]

Considering the OP is making their first purchase on a truck to pull their first RV and you’ve read many posts including mine you’ll see most seasoned RVers typically don’t keep their first RV and step up to a bigger one real soon after buying their first. So instead of just buying for today why wouldn’t someone who’s had many years of experience express their opinions of getting something for the future instead of the needs of today?! You and I both know new trucks these days range from $50k plus. So why take it in the shorts having to either settle with a trailer when you want to upgrade knowing now you have to upgrade the truck too? See my point?

Lastly... Why if this “max tow” F-150 is this beast of a “tow” vehicle why doesn’t Ford sell it with “tow mirrors” from the factory leaving you to buy them from amazon? Hmmm seems a wee bit weird to me but what do I know some 1 ton guy might think my truck is cute [emoji41]
Old 01-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #42

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I towed a 9500 lb Fifth Wheel with a F 150 with 3.5 Ecoboost. Great truck and engine. In your case with your trailer choice it will work just fine.

I bought a huge 40 ft 13ft 3 inch tall 16,000 lb Heartland and bought a F 350 SD Diesel to tow this.

Good Luck. Ford is the Number 1 Truck for 56 years in Canada!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Considering the OP is making their first purchase on a truck to pull their first RV and you’ve read many posts including mine you’ll see most seasoned RVers typically don’t keep their first RV and step up to a bigger one real soon after buying their first. So instead of just buying for today why wouldn’t someone who’s had many years of experience express their opinions of getting something for the future instead of the needs of today?! You and I both know new trucks these days range from $50k plus. So why take it in the shorts having to either settle with a trailer when you want to upgrade knowing now you have to upgrade the truck too? See my point?

Lastly... Why if this “max tow” F-150 is this beast of a “tow” vehicle why doesn’t Ford sell it with “tow mirrors” from the factory leaving you to buy them from amazon? Hmmm seems a wee bit weird to me but what do I know some 1 ton guy might think my truck is cute [emoji41]

I think you need to go back and read the OPs statements. It seems to me this is not their first trailer, and I don't see where she said on the truck. I think you read into something there.

Sure, they could buy a rough riding 3/4 pickup to tow their 5-7k trailer, but why? I ask mostly because, it doesn't sound like that is what they want. An F150 is more than up for the task they are asking of it with either engine. If they live and plan to stay on flat ground, the 5.0 will be fine. If they are traveling large distances a 3.5 EcoBoost will run at lower RPM (ie be quieter) for those trips. Anything larger than a hill, the 3.5 rocks with that size trailer.

As for the mirrors, go look at other brands. They do the same thing. The mirrors are an option. You don't need them if you pull your dirtbikes or ATV on a flat trailer. You probably won't need them with your average bass boat. You will want them if you are pulling a TT or enclosed trailer.

The idea of buying a truck for your future is fools foley. Heck, they will probably want a Phaeton in 20 years, why not just buy that now in case that is what they end up with later? Life is a box of chocolates, you know.

Personally, I commend the OP on finding the trailer before the truck. I wish I would do that
Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 AM   #44

When I shopped for trucks last year, I got my rough riding new F250 cheaper than most every new F150 Eco Boost on the lot.

So the huge $ savings isn't there unless you opt for the diesel.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:59 AM   #45

And honestly, if I planned to tow anything, I'd buy a 3/4 ton or bigger. The weight of a 3/4 ton may save your life on the hiway.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Excuse me... but I'll be 71 in April and I got to this ripe old age by operating this personal rule:
"Never intervene in a disagreement between two spouses!"
^ -X2- ^
73.5 here, that was my first thought.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconley View Post
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forums and it is to gather opinions on a new towing vehicle.
We will be purchasing a new pick up for towing a new camper that weighs about 5500 pounds. Travel will be all over the united states (hopefully).

The husband is partial to Ford and is looking at an F150.
His first thought was to go with a V8. I have been doing a little research and I think that what I am finding is that the V6 with eco-boost (possibly the 2.7, but probably the 3.5) could deliver similar or higher power with savings on gas millage. He is in disagreement - but I fear that is because it just goes against what he has always known. This situation is similar in the Chevy trucks.

I KNOW all of you have opinions on this and would love to hear them - educate me please!!
I have 2016 SC, 4X4 with the 2.7 Ecoboost, 3:55 axle. I tow a 2016 VLite 30 WIKSS (over 8000 lbs.) Tows through the Smokey Mountains (95 degrees, 100% humidity) a/c on, 65 mph. NEVER BROKE A SWEAT. MY RV dealer towed my new trailer with my truck (he owns a 2014 F150 3.5 Ecoboost). He was amazed at the 2.7's power. The 2018's come with the new 10 spead trans.

The key to towing a travel trailer as big and heavy as mine is a good hitch. I chose the Propride.

Believe me, for a trailer as lite as the one your looking at, either of the f150's you're looking at are more than enough and you will be much happier with it as a daily driver than a 3/4 (or heavier) ton truck. I have owned diesel dually, a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel. Nice trucks but neither compare to the ride and comfort of the F150 as a daily driver....
Old 01-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #48

With the f150 3.5 ecoboost I'm getting 22mpg with mixed city/highway commute. towing a Roo 21ss ~6000lb across country and through the Rockies it was stuck at 10mpg.
do opt for the 36 gal gas tank if you can.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #49

Again, thank you all for the info! This is not our first camper or truck. We are pulling a HW pop up with a small F150 right now. The camper we are looking at is a 25 footer (do not know if that is box or bumper to hitch). Because we camp almost exclusively in state and national parks, I do not see us moving up to bigger one. We are weekend warriors with two longer trips a year.
I am more confused now than I was. Pay load - TW, and all the math! I do not have either of these pieces in my possession- so actual weights are impossible. The WDH comes with the truck I thought - some people are talking about the ones they chose, I didn’t think there were options.
More than anything I want to be safe - and without breaking the bank if possible, though that comes second to safety.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #50

Keeping it simple here. You'll be fine with the F150, get the Eco Boost 3.5, you won't be appointed. Order the truck from a dealer that knows trucks and gets you the max tow package and tow mirrors. Tell your husband that you were right, as usual, and the 3.5 Eco Boost is a better option than the 5.0 V8.

The truck comes with the hitch receiver under the bumper. What you'll need is a weight distribution hitch, usually your camper selling dealer will set you up with that.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #51

And then there is 2 or 4 wheel drive - getting the feeling that 4 wheeler drive is not really needed, though I do live in the Midwest....
Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #52

Quote:
tragusa3 - are you saying that the gas mileage in the 3.7 would be similar to that in the V8? Because the truck is driven without towing something most of the time. I would think there would be some gas savings there. Otherwise, what is so great about them, because off the lot they are more expensive than the V8's (according to my dear husband). What am I missing here?

Thank you all for your opinions - so much food for thought!

I have a dodge 1/2 ton V6 280 horsepower with a truck camper,It does really good, 15mpg with the camper @ 65 mph and 26mpg with out the camper.But if he is convinced on the V8 he'll always wonder if the right choice was made
I love my mileage both way with the V6
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #53
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Again, thank you all for the info! This is not our first camper or truck. We are pulling a HW pop up with a small F150 right now. The camper we are looking at is a 25 footer (do not know if that is box or bumper to hitch). Because we camp almost exclusively in state and national parks, I do not see us moving up to bigger one. We are weekend warriors with two longer trips a year.
I am more confused now than I was. Pay load - TW, and all the math! I do not have either of these pieces in my possession- so actual weights are impossible. The WDH comes with the truck I thought - some people are talking about the ones they chose, I didn’t think there were options.
More than anything I want to be safe - and without breaking the bank if possible, though that comes second to safety.
I won't get into the discussion about the truck because as you can see after 6 pages, there is no consensus. Everyone has an opinion but in the end it is just that, an opinion.

The weight distributing hitch doesn't come with either the truck or the trailer.
It is a device added to both the truck and the trailer to distribute the load more evenly across the two.

Your truck (properly equipped) will come with a hitch receiver (think 2" square tube on the back under bumper) and the WDH connects to that and also the trailer frame to more evenly 'distribute' weight of the trailer to the truck.

Here's a simple image...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 01-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #54

Buy anything you want. But there's so many statements made by people who do not own, and have never owned, anything but 1/2 ton trucks. I own a 1/2 ton truck, and used it to pull out 7K bumper pull previous trailer. I kept it, and bought a 3/4 ton diesel. I traded that to get the current diesel dually. Here are the facts in my current experience.

My dually gets way, WAY better highway mileage than my 1/2 ton Silverado, both unloaded.

My dually, albeit newer, has far fewer maintenance costs than the 1/2 ton, including DEF, Filters, whatever.

The 3/4 ton was such a smooth riding truck that I literally drove it with amazement every day. I drove it everywhere, just for the sheer enjoyment of driving it. It was quiet, smooth, got about 24 mpg highway unloaded, and pulled anything I had at the time, like a breeze. The 1/2 ton rides like a log wagon. If I ever get another "around town truck" it will be a 3/4 ton diesel.

Almost all truck arguments result because folks have what they have, and don't want to have to buy something else just because they got a camper. The best advice is to do what most of us did.......just drive it and pull it. It won't be long and you'll either be happy or you'll fix the situation. Telling folks what YOU have in order to convince them to follow suit, is about as helpful as telling them from 9 states away what is the best trailer insurance.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #55

Quote:
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forums and it is to gather opinions on a new towing vehicle.
We will be purchasing a new pick up for towing a new camper that weighs about 5500 pounds. Travel will be all over the united states (hopefully).

The husband is partial to Ford and is looking at an F150.
His first thought was to go with a V8. I have been doing a little research and I think that what I am finding is that the V6 with eco-boost (possibly the 2.7, but probably the 3.5) could deliver similar or higher power with savings on gas millage. He is in disagreement
- but I fear that is because it just goes against what he has always known. This situation is similar in the Chevy trucks.

I KNOW all of you have opinions on this and would love to hear them - educate me please!!
Pretty amusing following this thread but I feel it's gotten off course. The OP only asked about a F150 V8 vs F150 Ecoboost. How about if anyone has either of those vehicles and is towing a comparable size trailer they chime in with their observed data?

I'll start - I have a 2017 F150 2.7EB no tow package, and made my first trip with a 233S (5000 lb dry weight/probably 5500 lbs towed). Approx. 150 miles round trip. Commuting mpg is 16, towed mpg was 11. Truck did it no problem, consistently went 65 on the freeway.

EDIT: One more thought, every time you are driving the truck without the trailer you will get better mpg with the 2.7EB versus the 3.6EB or the V8.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #56

Lots of confusing answers to your simple question. In looking at the F150 the 3.5 ecoboost is the king of the hill. It has the most power and torque for towing and that is why the added price. It honestly feels similar in towing power to a diesel of ten years ago. But it comes at a cost. You get “eco” or “boost”. If and when you need its power the fuel economy is poor. But the power will make you grin.
The 5.0 V8 is better for economy as a daily driver, but won’t even compare in towing. I drive a 5.0 daily.

As a comparison, my camper with the 07 F150 and 5.4 V8 on this one hill would be down to 75km/hr in second gear and losing speed. Same camper same cargo same hill behind a 2011 3.5 ecoboost and the truck was in fifth gear and accelerating past 120 km/hr.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinwak View Post
The 5.0 V8 is better for economy as a daily driver, but won’t even compare in towing. I drive a 5.0 daily.
Not sure where you are getting that info from but.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...0_Pickup.shtml
Old 01-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #58

On the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton or one ton debate. The answer to that lies on the type of trips you take. When properly equipped the 1/2 ton is very capable of towing your size of trailer.
But for me it came down to our camping style. We do twice a year trips into the mountains that are minimum 500 mile drives each way. For that drive it is way more comfortable pulling our 6400 pound loaded then it is with a 1/2 ton. But if we were just going to the lake 40 miles away on weekends then a properly equipped 1/2 ton would be great. I think of it as dirt cycle, the 3/4 tons are built to tow 100% of the time. The 1/2 tons, while very able of towing your weight will wear the truck out very quickly towing 100% of the time.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #59

The F-150 is going to have a diesel option in 2018.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #60

If the weight numbers work out for the F-150 with either the 6 or 8 then go for it.
Closed Thread

Tags
truck