Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Help Identifying equipment on a TOAD I am looking at

Can Anyone tell me what is on this car as a TOAD setup?

Possible the manufacture of the base plate and help identifying the other two devices?

I am considering this car as a toad and noticed these things - the dealer who has it didn't know it was set up as a TOAD and doesn't have a lot of info on it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	200026  
mparus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

First off......your dealer knows nothing about vehicles set up to be towed with four wheels down. What kind of dealer is he?
Second.....it’s possible the mileage on your odometer does not include any mileage the vehicle was towed besides the mileage when it was driven.

The connector on the left is where you insert the pin for pulling, using a Blue Ox or similar design towing mechanism.
The next flat bar with the opening is for attaching your safety cables.
The silver connector with the chrome ring is to connect your breakaway activator to the motorhome. It pulls the ring OUT....and this activates Emergency braking in case the towed vehicle disconnects from the motorhome.

Hope that helps.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Different roads....different rules for set up

By the way.....the title should read
Different toads....not roads

What year, make and model is this toad?
They’re all different and then sometimes there’s speed limits also.
The tow bar needs to tow level to these mounting points.

Lots to review if you just wanna know.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 03-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

It is a 2015 Subaru Forester - found it on line at a Ford dealer in PA.

I checked the 2015 version of the MotorHome towing guide to be sure it was flat towable
mparus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Don't tell the dealers it has several thousand dollars of towing equipment. He'll up the price.[emoji16]

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

There are others on here with Subaru toads so I know some of them work well for that purpose. However, unless someone tells me otherwise, the odometer does not record the mileage of when it was towed.....just sayin’.

The installed framework for towing the Subaru wouldn’t be a thousand dollars, and each design is specific to a make and model so it can’t be used on a vehicle other than what it’s made for.

Ken and Terry
Old 03-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #7

Should see another item on the front of that car. The electrical connection for running, brake and turn lights. Might also have an always live 12V connection for battery charging if car will draw power while being towed.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #8

This appears to have a Blue Ox base plate. There are two twist-lock pins that fit in the far outside fittings. The pins are part of the base plate kit. If there is a storage compartment under the cargo area, they may be stored there. If not, if you do purchase the toad, ask the dealer if they have the parts once the deal is done. They may have removed them when the vehicle was detailed. If not, get the previous owner information off the title. They may have them. The base plate and associated parts are separate from the tow bar. The pins would have little to no value if sold with the tow bar or to the previous owner. They may also be available thru Blue Ox. See the pictures of our Jeep toad. They are identical to your photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3290327.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	200134   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3290328.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	200135   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3290326.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	200136  
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #9

Suggest you go to Remco Towing website, it's full of information about toad requirements. This Subaru must be a standard shift if set up to tow. You didn't mention model, engine size or type of transmission. Store : Remco
Oltimer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

Appears to be a BlueOx baseplate configuration. You will need a set of adapter pins ( https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BX62-3468.html) to connect the tow bar to the baseplate. I have an extra set of pins for sale. Send me a private message if interested.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #11

I have a 2014 Subaru Outback setup for flat towing.
Only manual transmissions can be towed flat down. In fact, due to all wheel drive, you can not use a tow dolly. Flat tow or trailer, only options for Subarus.
The first key position is unlock the steering wheel only. The odometer does not record miles while towing so the car actually has more road miles that listed on the odometer. Running gear, transmission, steering etc will have more wear than you think. It would be good to contact previous owner if possible. I would want a better feel for actual and beat the dealer up on price seeing how, he is not toad savvy.
My 2014 Outback has 35k on The odometer but it has another 20k towing.
Their should be a connector for the umbilical cable from the 7 pin on your motorhome to the toad to control lights, signals etc. unless, light bars were used.
As stated, the base plates are specific to the make and model so, there was no need to remove the base plate.
hope this helps.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #12

Selling you spare pins? Wow, I wont travel without a spare. Break/misplace/thief one and you are done toading. While they are nearly indestructable, there is not a substitute for one on the road..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Selling you spare pins? Wow, I wont travel without a spare. Break/misplace/thief one and you are done toading. While they are nearly indestructable, there is not a substitute for one on the road..
You know I really never thought about that, but I doubt if they would break, they can't be stolen when hook up, without unhooking from the RV, and i could misplace them, but I always remove them and lock them in the trunk before I even start the toad, but I guess anything can happen, I'm glad etrailer can over night parts.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad