Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

Help me chose a Manual slider hitch

I really need to pull the trigger soon on a new manual slider hitch for my 2018 Ram 2500. My new Cedar Creek 31IK should be here next month. I’m leaning towards a 16k manual slider since I can't get a clear consensus if a fixed hitch will give the necessary cab clearance. Not interested in an auto slide due to weight and extra cost. I’ve been pretty much debating between a Husky with the single locking jaw but they offer 2 different roller bases now. And the slide lever sure looks intricate and fragile. A Curt A16 with interlocking jaws. And the Demco Hijacker Premier. One concern I have is how does the height of the Ram bed floor and the depth of the bed rails (my bed depth is 20”) impact hitch choice? I’ll be installing bed rails for the hitch and these hitches range in height from 14”to 17” for the Husky to 17” to 21” for the Curt, Demco is in the middle. Could I end up with a hitch too tall or too short. I know every brand has their fans and critics. Hoping you can give me your experiences with your choice and likes and dislikes especially if it is one of the above listed hitches but I am open to all suggestions. Also looking for a quiet and tight hitch, if such an animal exists. Thanks
russj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #2

My favorite solution to 6.5' beds is a sidewinder pin box, then you can buy any standard hitch you want, no heavy MANUAL slider, AND never worry about hitting the cab.
Other folks have success with an Anderson which combined with the front cap cutouts, gives them almost 90° turns.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

I have the Andersen Ultimate hitch in my 2014 Ram 2500 and Prime Time Crusader with the tight turning cap and I can turn damn near 90 degrees. The Andersen pushes the connection back giving you plenty of clearance for tight turns. It is quiet, smooth, and only weighs 35 pounds. Since you said you are installing bed rails they do also offer a rail mounted option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ander1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	211685   Click image for larger version

Name:	ander2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	211686  

2006 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Air Lift 5k bags w/ onboard compressor
2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by russj View Post
I really need to pull the trigger soon on a new manual slider hitch for my 2018 Ram 2500. My new Cedar Creek 31IK should be here next month. I’m leaning towards a 16k manual slider since I can't get a clear consensus if a fixed hitch will give the necessary cab clearance. Not interested in an auto slide due to weight and extra cost. I’ve been pretty much debating between a Husky with the single locking jaw but they offer 2 different roller bases now. And the slide lever sure looks intricate and fragile. A Curt A16 with interlocking jaws. And the Demco Hijacker Premier. One concern I have is how does the height of the Ram bed floor and the depth of the bed rails (my bed depth is 20”) impact hitch choice? I’ll be installing bed rails for the hitch and these hitches range in height from 14”to 17” for the Husky to 17” to 21” for the Curt, Demco is in the middle. Could I end up with a hitch too tall or too short. I know every brand has their fans and critics. Hoping you can give me your experiences with your choice and likes and dislikes especially if it is one of the above listed hitches but I am open to all suggestions. Also looking for a quiet and tight hitch, if such an animal exists. Thanks
I'm guessing your 2018 RAM 2500 is a gasser to be able to handle the 2435 dry pin weight on the Cedar Creek 31IK ? I really like the CC but it's too much trailer for my 2015 RAM 2500 with the diesel to even consider
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

I had one of the Sidewinders on my Crusader. It is a nifty pinbox but I hated that thing with a passion. If you are not perfectly lined up, and I mean PERFECTLY lined up, you are not getting the pin locked in. Outside of that, which was frustrating, I was able to get well beyond 90 degree turn.

I was looking at the B&W Patriot slider when we acquired our Wildcat. Almost pulled the trigger until I found the truck I have now.

Everything I saw on the Patriot slider, seemed to be a good choice.

Of course, I'd rather be camping
RolnThndrCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

Reese Revolution

We have the Reese Revolution Pin on our 5th wheel. Reese hitch on the truck. Absolutely love it. Have never had a problem and you can actually move the pin box if you need to line it up. In theory I suppose you could hitch up at a 90degree angle. Not that we have tried that!!!

Rockwood ultra lite 2440ws
2014 Toyota Tundra 4wd v8 5.7
reese hitch
reese revolution on rv
Bose04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by russj View Post

I don't know where you are located at, but, if you are close to me, I will give you a Husky wrap around jaw slider. It is a good hitch, but, it is not quite. I got a new truck with pucks and got a new hitch (birthday present) lol
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

This is our first fifth wheel, so I knew nothing about fifth wheel hitches. I talked to some experienced friends and they pretty much agreed that the Curt 16K was a good bang for the buck. We got one, and it has performed perfectly. Haven't had to use the slide very often, but it works smoothly. It seems very well built. It is heavy, but does come apart easily if you need to take it out. We have an 11,600 lb Wildcat we pull with a 2018 F250 gasser.
Zeke (the Partipoodle) 8 yrs, Ginger (standard poodle) 7 mos - both rescues
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #9

I did a lot of research on hitches when I got my fifth. I liked the Anderson, which is really light weight and moves the pivot point back about 9 inches for a short bed, but finally went for a pin hitch (like a Reese Revolution) from the trailer manufacturer which moves the pivot back even more. (This was partially driven by a dealer who threw in the hitch) I can do a tight 90 with mine, without the need for a slider. If your trailer comes, with a pin hitch, I would say use it. I have had no problems hitching up with mine, and it pulls great with zero sway. I don't know about retro-fitting a pin hitch. I read somewhere that the manufacturer reinforces the frame when he supplies one. I cant therefore comment on retro fitting to a pin hitch. If I were in your position, and the RV has a conventional hookup, I would try the Anderson. It is light weight, easy to install, and moves the pivot back. I read nothing but rave reviews on it. If you ever want to clear your bed, this is the hitch to have. I went crazy trying to figure out geometries, so I think the best way is to simply set it up, and find a spot where you can tightly turn while watching for interference. You may be able to make that 90. On the manual slider, you will have a heavier hitch and the same problem. i.e how tight can I turn before I need to get out and engage the slide. I guarantee the Anderson will turn tighter than the manual slider before you engage due to the 9 inch setback. It's not my arrangement, but I vote for the Anderson. Definitely worth a try. Met a guy at a campground with a manual slider when I was looking and asked how often he had engaged it. He told me in three years, not yet. That I think says something about the added weight and expense.
richl167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #10

2018 Ram 3500 short bed with Demco auto slide 18k on factory pucks and Better Built tool box. Takes all the worries away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07AE8890-78E4-4874-A42E-E79915082A29.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	211703  
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #11

Best manual slider ~~ made in USA with USA made steel is the B&W Patriot. Just brought my new F350 dually home today. No longer need a slider but the Patriot goes in tomorrow.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My favorite solution to 6.5' beds is a sidewinder pin box, then you can buy any standard hitch you want, no heavy MANUAL slider, AND never worry about hitting the cab.
Other folks have success with an Anderson which combined with the front cap cutouts, gives them almost 90° turns.
We have the Anderson hitch and have a 6' 8" bed on a GMC 2500 towing a CC36ck2 and not had any problems. We just lowered the hitch ball to the lowest hole and face the receiver toward the trailer from the king pin. 6-8" of trailer to bed rails and the air ride hitch will stay inside of the bed sides.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, manual, slide