Old 01-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #1

Help me identify WDH

Hello all,

New member here. I recently bought a 1999 Shamrock Hybrid. I noticed some attachments on the tongue of the TT that I assume are for some kind of weight distributing hitch. I have towed various trailers many thousands of miles but that has been hauling equipment on goosenecks and pull behind equipment trailers behind 1-ton dually trucks. I have never towed with a WDH. I towed our new-to-us camper home without incident. It pulled really nice at 65 mph with 15-20 mph cross winds.

My TT will be towed behind a 2019 Honda Ridgeline. Below are a couple of pictures of the tongue of my trailer. I figure if I do decide to get a WDH, I might as well get one compatible with what is already installed on the trailer. Thanks for your input!

Passenger Side:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	222257

Driver Side:

Name:	Trailer2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	222258

Tow Setup:

Name:	Trailer3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	222259
karplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by karplus2 View Post
Hello all,

New member here. I recently bought a 1999 Shamrock Hybrid. I noticed some attachments on the tongue of the TT that I assume are for some kind of weight distributing hitch. I have towed various trailers many thousands of miles but that has been hauling equipment on goosenecks and pull behind equipment trailers behind 1-ton dually trucks. I have never towed with a WDH. I towed our new-to-us camper home without incident. It pulled really nice at 65 mph with 15-20 mph cross winds.

My TT will be towed behind a 2019 Honda Ridgeline. Below are a couple of pictures of the tongue of my trailer. I figure if I do decide to get a WDH, I might as well get one compatible with what is already installed on the trailer. Thanks for your input!

Passenger Side:

Attachment 222257

Driver Side:
Attachment 222258

Tow Setup:
Attachment 222259
The ball on the side of the frame is for a friction sway control arm. There would be a similar ball on a bracket that extends off the side of the hitch bar. The sway control rides between the two balls. Here is a link to what I am trying to explain:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ese/83660.html

No experience with the various WDH designs of the past.
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold but not forgotten
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
D W

Looks to be an older style CURT Round Bar WDH system with sway control.

You can go here to match it up:

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...20Distribution
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the input and links!
Old 01-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #5

Sideball is for a friction sway controller. Any brand will be compatible (Reese, Drawtite, Harbor Freight, etc).

Hinged bracket is for a snap-up type WDH. No telling what brand, as hardly anybody buys those anymore. Unless you know exactly what was previously used, fat chance of finding a kit that will match (unless they are universal?).

If you don't have the head and bars for the WDH, and you don't have the friction sway controller itself, do yourself a favor, and just buy a WDH that has integrated sway control. Equal-i-zer is well-loved around here. You might be light enough to use the 600 lbs version. They are rated by the max tongue weight that the truck would ever see. If you will be very much over 500 lbs loaded, just get the 1000 lbs version (Equalizer doesn't make an 800).
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal! - your hitch questions have apparently been answered.

2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #7

Maybe look at Curt, Husky. The brackets for the chains should just have a bolt on the backside and can be removed as needed. The sway bracket looks to be welded on but if the sizing is not correct for whatever hitch you choose you should be able to put the sway bar on the opposite side.
You will be surprised how much a WDH will improve your towing.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #8

I sent etrailer pictures of mine as seller would not part with ball for truck. Etrailer rep emailed me back what I needed to buy. Great customer service.
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #9

Mine is an older Reese with Camloc sway control.
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

I've had good luck with etrailer service too. Ended up getting my Fastway e2 trunnion bar hitch from them. 350 bucks for whole setup.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minthillbill View Post
I sent etrailer pictures of mine as seller would not part with ball for truck. Etrailer rep emailed me back what I needed to buy. Great customer service.
That is a good idea. I imagine I am missing enough that it would make sense for me to just get a whole new WDH/sway control system.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #12
Tundra 2014

Hitch

This is not a WDH, it is one of the old friction bar anti-sway mounts. Any brand will work. Replacing it is less than $50. Remember, it has a friction setting on it. If you have it tighten down, you are suppose to get out and release the lever when backing up. I broke or bent several over the years we pulled a pop-up. A better solution would be to replace it w/ a combination WDH and anti-sway. This would make towing more enjoyable and also restore headlight height from trailer pushing the back of TV down. It would also help on braking, safety and control. Much improved experience w/ WDH, but depends on how often and how far you tow..
Tundra 2014 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #13
llr

As suggested above replacement with a WDH with integrated saw control is a better option then buying the pieces for this one. I like the Blue Ox sway pro but the equalizer 4 point or probably the Anderson would all be good choices.
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by karplus2 View Post
Hello all,

Passenger Side:

Attachment 222257

Driver Side:
Attachment 222258

Tow Setup:
Attachment 222259
Karplus
That looks exactly like the Curt hitch I have installed on my Honda Ridgeline and trailer. The small ball is for the anti-sway bar, and the other part is where the chain attaches and lifts up for tension. Works well for me.
TC
Old 01-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #15
Tundra 2014

WDH

You should have the same fixture that you show on drivers side on the passenger side. Not knowing when it was put on, I would drive to a Rv dealer and ask what brand would fit the brackets you have on your trailer.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc cruiser View Post
Karplus
That looks exactly like the Curt hitch I have installed on my Honda Ridgeline and trailer. The small ball is for the anti-sway bar, and the other part is where the chain attaches and lifts up for tension. Works well for me.
TC
Thanks! I will look into the Curt hitches! How has your Ridgeline been for towing? I only towed our camper home about 50 miles and it pulled great. I wanted a Ranger for the higher towing capacity but we were shopping for my wife and the Ridgeline fits what she wanted perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
You should have the same fixture that you show on drivers side on the passenger side. Not knowing when it was put on, I would drive to a Rv dealer and ask what brand would fit the brackets you have on your trailer.
Good call. I will go back to the storage lot and check to see if the tarp is covering up the one on the passenger side!
Old 02-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #17

Just wanted to post an update. I managed to find a WDH and friction sway control that will work with what I already have on the trailer. While this isn't necessarily the best setup it was definitely the cheapest route and fit in my budget.

Name:	WDH.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	223731
Old 02-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #18
Tundra 2014

Anti-sway friction

Be sure to loosen it when you back-up. That is what usually break the friction bars. It is in the instructions.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Be sure to loosen it when you back-up. That is what usually break the friction bars. It is in the instructions.
I did see that in the instructions. Thanks for the heads up! Now fingers crossed I don't forget to actually do it.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #20

Simply backing up with a friction sway controller engaged is not what can break something. The only way you will break (or bend) something, is if you jackknife the rig so far that you bottom out the 2 pieces. That is, you the inner piece slides into the outer piece until it bottoms out. At that point, any further rotation by the trailer, and the unit will act like a solid bar.

People used to find brackets bent, or the little ball bent or broken, but have no idea how it happened. Fact is, as long as the unit is not bottomed out, the forces involved with the 2 pieces sliding is no different forward or reverse.

We used separate WDH and friction sway controller for 7 seasons with our minivan/popup combo. I never loosened the sway controller until I was unhitching. I simply knew how far I could go (by sighting a certain reflector in my sideview mirror) and jackknifing no further.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote