Old 07-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

Help me make a choice

I recently purchased a Flagstaff Microlite 25BDS. Trying to decide on which WD bars to use. Over the years I ended up with a set of 750# and a set of 1000# bars (round type).

The 25BDS is supposed to have a dry tongue weight of 583 lbs. I have filled the propane tanks (+60#) and upgraded battery setup to a pair of Group 29's from a single 24. (estimated add of 100#). Loading of the trailer will be modest as I won't be carrying a 6 mo supply of canned goods, etc. I estimated my loaded tongue weight will vary from around 700 to 800 lbs.

The person who handled delivery told me to use the lowest rated WD bars possible.

My question is, should I use the 750's which will be cinched up to the point I will have only the minimum number of free links or use the 1K bars and let a little more chain show between bar and attachment point.

I used the 1K's on my old trailer but it was longer and it seemed like it had all it's weight on it's nose.

First trip is coming up and I thought I'd toss this out for some recommendations. Go with the lighter that will be fairly maxed out or go with the heavier that will have a good 250-300 lbs of "margin" at the low end of the scale and about half that at the top?

If I don't have to take the extra set of bars with me I'd love to leave them behind. BTW, the tow home was only 10 miles so I really didn't get a real feel for how it felt and the trailer was pretty much "factory weight".

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Sham183

Help me make a choice

First we would need to know what brand hitch you have. There are so many different ones out there with different ways they rate the bars. Like on my Blue ox sway pro the bars are sold with the highest weight rating that set should handle I.e. 550# bars. So my tongue weight should not exceed 550# if so I should bump up to the 750# bars. It sounds like you might have the same one I do but not sure. So fill us in on your hitch make and we can give you much better answers.

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
So fill us in on your hitch make and we can give you much better answers.

Tim
The hitch is an E-Z Lift using the round bars that fit in the hitch and flat where the chains are attached. It's about 12 years old. I use a friction sway control so there are no cams on the bars.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
Sham183

Help me make a choice

I found this on the eaz lift website. Not sure if this is exactly the model you have but it may give you a idea of how their weight ratings go as far as making a decision for the bars.

Also I would get the actual tongue weight for your trailer. You can make a simple homemade scale if you do not have one. It will help you out greatly. Keep in mind the salesperson is there to make money and a sale. Most of us here have had incorrect information given to us by the dealer. Based off what you have said so far I would say you should go to the 1000# or (1200# lbs ) if that manual is correct bars. The ratings they list are max tongue weight.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/4b6ff...d41cf8b914.pdf

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

Your initial tongue estimates seem pretty close, gear will change that somewhat, but with what you have right now, I'd be going to 1000# bars hands down. More capacity is much better than...under capacity.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #6

Get the bigger bars. They typically cover a pretty wide range. If your trailer is light fill the water tank a bit to add more weight. I have never had a problem with adding gear and I always need to lighten the load a bit.

The biggest consequence I can think of having bars that are too large but still in range (assuming you set it up right) is a bit rougher ride. If you buy the smaller ones and max them out you can damage your TV or have to buy the larger bars.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Your initial tongue estimates seem pretty close, gear will change that somewhat, but with what you have right now, I'd be going to 1000# bars hands down. More capacity is much better than...under capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Get the bigger bars. They typically cover a pretty wide range. If your trailer is light fill the water tank a bit to add more weight. I have never had a problem with adding gear and I always need to lighten the load a bit.

The biggest consequence I can think of having bars that are too large but still in range (assuming you set it up right) is a bit rougher ride. If you buy the smaller ones and max them out you can damage your TV or have to buy the larger bars.
Thank You.

My "dilemma", such as it is, was brought about by my already having both bars (one marked 750 on the round end of the bar) and the other marked 1,000 (same place). I had them from two different trailers in my past so it was just a matter of choice of which one to go with.

I was leaning toward the 1 K's but I thought I'd toss it out for recommendations. A pair of bars are a pretty hefty weight all in themselves so if I don't need the 750's I'll put them back where they were stored.

2004 Nissan Titan