Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #61

As others have mentioned you could go with an older (05-'07 would be my preference) Diesel that's had all the work done to it already to make it a solid truck for under 25k. Have all the towing capacity you'll ever want or need. In a few years if you want to get something newer you'd still be able to get good money out of that truck.

For me, I made my decision knowing I couldn't afford to buy something that wouldn't work long term. Money was tight. Yes, I fully really I could have purchased a newer truck for the same money. However, I wanted to be able to drive it for 10 years or more without a bunch of issues.

So far so good with my F350. The thing is a beast and very much overkill for what I'm towing. However, it pulls it without breaking a sweat.

Going through the big rig fuel lanes with a trailer at some gas stations is a perk too. Fuel economy is double what I'd get with my old Gasser.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #62

2018 and newer 3.5 Ecoboost engines have extra port injectors to help intake valves from carboning up. Also, with newer 10 speed trannys, coolers are not really needed. They have internal thermostats to get the temp to right over 200. Apparently not good to try to run them cooler. Never seen mine over 215 even on steep climbs in the Sierra Nevada.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irobutterfly59 View Post
One thing I don't understand from reading lot of truck forums on towing, they talk about adding a transmission cooler to your truck. Also if you add while under warranty could void warranty. Do we need to do this?
Both the tow package and max tow package include a transmission oil cooler.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #64

Ok thank you for explaining.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #65

FYI..

Most of the time when folks are talking about the transmission cooler they're referring to an upgraded cooler as most trucks have a tranny cooler standard.

For example, my '10 Escalade had a stock cooler. It was relatively small (maybe 9" high and 12" wide). I upgraded to the Tru-Cool 40k and had hugely increased efficiency. The trans rarely gets above 180 when towing now (not that i tow with it anymore).
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #66

With fords max tow package there are additional loops for the transmission cooler. Went over several passes without any heat issues on my 2016 3.5L Eco-boost max tow.

It also includes the locking 3.55 differential. I pull a 7k trailer loaded. It handles it fine but at 70mph you get 6-7mpg, worse with a head wind. At 65mph you get about 8. No load and highway 20mpg but city is about 14 as a daily driver.

Only issue I had was a bolt broke on the turbo exhaust. It did not strand me but took the dealer about a week to fit me in and fix covered under warrenty. Had friend that had more significant issues on his 2017 but Ford added additional warrenty after he was out of warrenty and resolved his issues.

I looked at Toyotas in 2016 as well. They had not been updated in a while and payload was an issue for me.

I would still suggest a Ford even newer model years with the 10sp transmission. Check payload, axle ratio, tires, and cooling first so you know what you are getting into. Not all trucks are equal and they all look alike so it comes down to those little difference you can easily find by opening the door and reading the sticker (except for maybe cooling). Best of luck and happy camping.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #67

OK thank you for further explanation. We drove a 2015 F150 today EB but it was 6 speed. It was XLT and loaded. I do really want 10 trans if I can find a good deal. I know issues with every brand and year out there. We've been thru hell with our Ram 1500 Diesel. I think we would get the added warranty as well. Code on our RAM definitely points to blown injector. But still under warranty. So that is good. But we have battery, low voltage messages too, so not sure what is going on there. It goes in tomorrow for fixing. Also for the lawsuit recall on Air emmission lawsuit. We did all the paperwork and just got our lawsuit card in the mail to take to dealer to get fixed. Once we fix it and show proof we should get 3K back.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #68

All 5 1/2 ton truck manufacturers specked with an appropriate motor and gearing will do well with your smaller TT in the flatlands of Ohio & Michigan. All offer a pretty competitive product. If you have had good luck with your local dealership stick with them and have them find you something that you like with appropriate motor & gearing.

All manufacturers have mechanical issues the difference is in how both the Mfgr & dealerships stand behind their warranty and if you have a good service department with competent mechanics. You seem to be happy with yours having been through the test so to speak so I’d stick with the dealership and have them find you something. I get wanting something different and if you have the money to spare why not. Just keep in mind whatever you find can develop issues and just because your existing truck has a bad injector does not mean it’s going to be a problem child. Both routes different truck existing truck carry the risk of future repairs. Warranty as you have seen is valuable. Keep in mind most trucks you will look at have a 60k warranty and your existing truck has s 100k warranty. Not saying don’t trade only to keep it in mind.

FWIW I transport TTs for the Mfgs with an Ecodiesel. Mostly Ohio & Indiana plants to west coast dealerships then west coast plants to eastern dealerships. 557,000 miles on my Ecodiesel. Never blew a motor, turbo or injector but did develop a coolant leak in the EGR cooler (emissions) and was too slow in catching it and correcting it so it (low coolant) caused a head gasket failure. Still overall I’ve had good luck with it. Anyway what I want to say is Diesel engines with injectors & turbos are what semi trucks use for the most efficient capable & reliable setups. Unfortunately our governments have pushed truck manufacturers big & small into having emissions products that have caused a lot of issues even worse than gas engines catalytic converters & such in the past. It may just be growing pains that we eventually resolve. FWIW Myself and many others on the ram1500diesel forum have had really good luck the Green Diesel Engineering tune which has improved reliability even better fuel economy a power bump and more. If you were to keep your existing truck it’s something I would suggest you consider.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #69

With this truck we only had a year with 30K miles and the engine blew. They did put new engine in so that was great. Then over last few months sensors, modules going out. Fixed out of pockets about 1K parts and labor. Now the injector. Just feel we got a lemon. Our first time out in in our camper and it was white knuckle to get back home. I am afraid of this truck and more break downs I guess. Great to hear you have good travels with your EB. Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #70

There is a good reason that the F 150 sells more then any other vehicle for some 45 years in a row! You will be far better off with an American Truck maker. That means Ford or Chev/GMC and the Ford will be cheaper. Good Luck
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #71

I'm not fan boy...I've owned Ram/Dodge/Chevy/GMC/Nissan/Ford trucks...some were better than others but my last Ford was a joke. Ford has a door issue with the aluminum truck and they have yet to fix it. You can start reading here: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...thread-435339/

-the linked thread has been condensed/stopped/started new about every year to try and limit the amount of posts to make it usable. I've even read about a few folks getting Ford to buy their truck back so they could get a new one...and that truck had the same issue. There are many people waiting for a fix at every dealership in a northern climate every year since the first winter after the aluminum body debut.

There are many folks that just trade these in after getting tired of Ford not fixing the issue. First truck I ever had that couldn't be used in winter and frankly Ford sucked to deal with on the issue. You live in an area that has cool enough winters to make this issue show itself. Do what you want but be informed...
Old 05-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #72

Thanks for the article. I did read it. My gas door on my old 2014 Dodge Dart would freeze so I put vase line jelly around the rubber inside of the door and voila it worked. Never froze up again. It was totaled by hit and run driver in Feb and I went and got a Subaru Forester which I love love love.

But I wonder if using vase line would work on the ford doors and handles. It is concern though for folks like me that can have brutal winters. Thanks for sharing, something to think about. Might just look at a Tundra now...

It got so cold in Michigan this past winter it was -44 a few times. Husband's Diesel gelled up even being plugged in over night one particular night. Took a day or two to un-gel.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #73
Scoundrel

Just adding my .02... If I were shopping for a truck today I would give serious consideration to the F150 5.0V8 or 3.5EB.

* 2015 thru 2017 F150 5.0V8. Its worth paying a little extra for a 2016 or 2017 as the Sync-3 upgrade from 2015s is worth it;
* 2018 I would stay way from the 5.0V8 as Ford is having numerous problems with the spray-in cyclinder liners causing excessive oil consumption (TSB 19-2058).

There are plenty of F150 Ecoboost engines pushing past 150K miles with the original turbos. My preference would be the 3.5EB.

Good luck with your search.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Just adding my .02... If I were shopping for a truck today I would give serious consideration to the F150 5.0V8 or EB.

* 2015 thru 2017 F150 5.0V8. Its worth paying a little extra for a 2016 or 2017 as the Sync-3 upgrade from 2015s is worth it;
* 2018 I would stay way from the 5.0V8 as Ford is having numerous problems with the spray-in cyclinder liners causing excessive oil consumption (TSB 19-2058).

There are plenty of F150 Ecoboost engines pushing past 150K miles with the original turbos. My preference would be the 3.5EB.

Good luck with your search.
The only issue with the 2017 is that it was the first year of the 10 speed tranny and the at least for the 3.5 eco, doesn't have the extra port injectors. Also possible the 5.0V8 got them but not sure what year.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #75

Help- Need a new Tow Vehicle

We have an 11 tundra and love it. With our 31’ 7500lb unit, we made some upgrades (intake, exhaust & sumo springs) to make our experience better. We also live where ever direction is a mountain climb. Our cargo capacity is my biggest complaint due to my tongue weight. With your size unit, you should have no issues.

At 70k, we have replaced a fuel gauge, valve cover gaskets and just replaced the alternator cause I blew it up with running my power inverter at 1000 wTts.

I just wish they had a more updated powertrain. Supposed coming out with a new one but that’s at least 2 years away- a lifetime.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
ur cargo capacity is my biggest complaint due to my tongue weight.
What does your payload sticker say?
Old 05-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
My brother lives in the south and decided he would risk the door latch/unlatch/won't close door issues because the dealer is right next door to him. He got the 2018 5.0 and is in the process of getting a new motor. It uses 2 quarts in about 1500 miles driving like a grandma. -I'm not really impressed with Ford's recent quality.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #78

I have a 2016 F150 and the recall was serviced for the rear door latch already. Never had the problem. I am in KC and we get super cold but I also garage mine most of the time. The freezing nights and snow and ice storms it has spent outside were never an issue for me. Not saying it never happens just not to me.

Everyone has recalls so pick your poison and what you feel comfortable with.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
What does your payload sticker say?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #80

I owned both the Ford Eco boost and Tundra both were 2014 models. My personal opinion for towing I choose the Tundra all day only down side was small gas tank but that was fixed. While the eco boost was rated for higher hp and torque the 4:30 gearing in Tundra made up difference West Texas to Oregon and back to include Lake Tahoe never a problem. The Ford was nicer a platinum vs limited felt more agile and slightly better mpg when not towing but same when towing with the Tundra. I upgraded both with Sumo or timbren springs. Then added Roush stage two to the Ford and mpg went down but mostly because it was fun to press the pedal. Both were excellent both had strong points but wife wanted 5th wheel. So now I have this Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	204646

Tags
tow vehicle