Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
Enjoying our ride!

Smile Help with “hitch height” function on lippert Level up

We want to know the proper steps to using the “hitch height” function on our 5th wheel. Our 2018 Cardinal RLX has a Lippert Level Up with One Control touch control. When we store our 5th Wheel, we chalk the tires, we manually extend the front jacks onto wood blocks so the weight is off the hitch and we subsequently drive the truck away. When I subsequently go back to hook up the trailer, do I just hit “hitch height”? Alternatively, when we get to our camping site, we chalk the tires and we put Anderson Magnetic Jack Blocks on all jacks. We manually extend the front jacks so the weight is off the hitch and we subsequently drive the truck away. Once the truck clears, we hit auto level. When we leave our campsite, do we just hit “hitch height”?

Thanks
Rob and Sandra
B & W Goose neck Hitch in the Bed
Blue Ox Super Ride 20K hitch
sandstuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #2

i've never used that function, though the instructions say it exists. i just use the button to raise or lower the front jacks to the point that i want them. i am right there looking at the hitch and kingpin and i can adjust the kingpin as required.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Enjoying our ride!

That is what we are currently doing. However, it would be nice if my husband were to pick up the rig by himself he could just hit hitch height back up connect and hit the road.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
clr

I have this feature also, and it is more of a sales gimmick than a useful option in my book. First there are many operations that erase the unhook level, such as manual operation to get the front jacks down in the first place. Second problem it remembers the 5th wheel position while towing, of course that is not the same level as when there is no weight on the trailer. I have found that setting the 5th wheel height by eye ball is a much quicker and much more accurate method. If fact I have not used the auto height return in several years now.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

As said above.

I use the remote, even when in the vehicle. Helps.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #6

The hitch height function in mine says it returns to the height the last auto level was started at by pressing the right and left buttons simultaneously. It also says if the front was below level for the auto level start, the screen will display "function disabled".
So, as long as the front was above level when you started the auto level, it should work.
We've tried it numerous times, but it doesn't usually work for us without having to manually adjust height anyway when hooking up.
Probably because I usually don't lift the kingpin plate all the way off the truck when unhitching, and/or change the height of the RV before starting the auto level function.

Just noticed yours was a One Control. It operates exactly the same, but you have a dedicated 'hitch height' button instead of having to hit the left and right buttons.
Here's the manual link: https://support.lci1.com/documents/q...-onecontrolreg

Hitch height is on page two.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

in make rereading this why don't you just try it? if it works fine. if you have to make manual adjustments you haven't lost a thing.

i am obsessive when hooking and unhooking. i am back there looking at everything such as height, alignment, jaws, etc. one of the things a saw from others is to put a bright vertical marker on the front of the pin box right in the center where the king pin is. this stands out when looking in the mirror when backing up to engage the pin. i will get the jaws and pin aligned and very close to each other before i worry about the height. it is much easier to adjust height when the hitch is only a couple of inches from the pin and pin box.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #8

I find it gets it "close" and retracts the rears all the way. I still have to raise the front to connect.

If anyone else has the remote can you tell me what it controls? I cannot control the jacks from mine and it would certainly help if I could as I can't see the pin while operating the jacks from the main control module in the pass through, have to raise it some, then peek out and look at where it is, would be awesome to use a remote. All the remote controls is the awning in/out and light and the slides. The slide function is great when you're in a tight spot you can check clearance and extend without help from the DW.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

Mine usually works as advertised. After I unhitch I pull forward push auto level. When I get ready to leave I press hitch height or whatever it says. It retracts my rear and middle jacks. Then raises or lowers my front jacks. Now sometimes I still had more weight on hitch than I should have and I prefer to raise jacks further, sometimes I am too high or it has rained and the jacks have sunk. It’s not perfect all the time but even when off it’s close. After I hitched I hit retract all jacks then push up the rest.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #10

I try it each time I hitch and I'd say so far its worked once out of 50 or so hitches. But I remain hopeful.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #11

Rob, we also use the Andersen magnetic jack blocks and really like them. However, we are only able to use them on the 4 rear jacks. When we put them on the front landing gear, the auto level function would not work, apparently because the nose of the trailer could not go low enough at the beginning of the process. We just got Snap Pads for the front and continue to use the Andersen blocks in the rear.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #12

I've had no real problems with level up system on my 2018 Cedar Creek Silverback. When I park I raise the trailer to unhook, pull out, it the auto level and wait till it's done it's job. I have found that if you manually adjust it after you auto level you have a 50,-50 chance it will be right. If I didn't do any manual ln adjustments I just hit the hitch height and back under. Once in a great while I need to make some adjustment due to soft soil or such. Good luck and have fun.
Dodge2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:54 AM   #13

The system works very well on our 2019 CC Hathaway model. When executing the Hitch Height function the trailer returns very close to our unhitching height....sometimes a small adjustment is needed....it's not that hard using the remote. We like the system.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
Enjoying our ride!

Hi all - it seems that is works well for some and not so much for others or choose not use the function. I will try again and perhaps make adjustments with my Anderson hitches. This forum is the best!

Happy Camping all!

Tags
hitch