Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

help with sag

Hello, rookie here, got some questions. How much sag is ok after hooking up a trailer? I hooked mine up yesterday and I got 1” drop. I put new 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab to a Sport295. I’m not sure what I’m shooting for minimal sag, is 1” ok? When I bought the TT a year ago it was hooked up to a 2005 GMC Yukon LT. In which the dealer did all the setup. Do I need air suspension in the back? Also the front rise about also an 1".

All opinion's, suggestion's welcome.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafatoy View Post
Hello, rookie here, got some questions. How much sag is ok after hooking up a trailer? I hooked mine up yesterday and I got 1” drop. I put new 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab to a Sport295. I’m not sure what I’m shooting for minimal sag, is 1” ok? When I bought the TT a year ago it was hooked up to a 2005 GMC Yukon LT. In which the dealer did all the setup. Do I need air suspension in the back? Also the front rise about also an 1".

If you don't have a wdh, you need one and get the front and back of the truck and trailer level. Don't forget sway controls.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Wdh ?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #4

wdh

WDH=weight distributing hitch.
These are a great hitch and I got my Husky wdh for around $250 on Amazon for my 2012 Ram 1500 and 2013 FR Surveyor 220. It cured the sag when properly hooked up and it tows so much better now; be sure if you get one or have one put on that they match the tongue hitch weight of the trailer to the hitch.
Given a lot more pesos I would get the ProPride 1400 setup but it's really pricey but I hear well worth it.
I don't use a friction sway control with my WDH and the trailer still tracks straight and true even in wind or being passed by semi's.
Enjoy!
Pete

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

oh yes I do have a Equal-i-zer Hitch - with 4-point Sway Control. That was purchase and installed when I first bought the TT...
Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
oh yes I do have a Equal-i-zer Hitch - with 4-point Sway Control. That was purchase and installed when I first bought the TT...
Then it needs to be adjusted to get more weight on the front of the truck. Just make sure when you're finished that the truck AND trailer are level front to back.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Quote:

This should help you.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #8

OldCoot, so what you are saying is to adjust the wdh ( Equal-i-zer Hitch - with 4-point Sway Control) to get the truck level again with no sag at all? I thought that 1" drop in the rear and 1" rise in the front is ok. again I forgot to mention what I started with.
39 1/2" in front 41 1/2 in the rear. what you think?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OldCoot, so what you are saying is to adjust the wdh ( Equal-i-zer Hitch - with 4-point Sway Control) to get the truck level again with no sag at all? I thought that 1" drop in the rear and 1" rise in the front is ok. again I forgot to mention what I started with.
39 1/2" in front 41 1/2 in the rear. what you think?
I would go for getting the truck back to the original measurements and making sure the trailer is level also. Shouldn't take much adjustment, maybe another washer on the hitch head. You're pretty close now. The video is very good and he even states some may have to add a washer or raise the bars one hole.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #10

1" is no sag
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #11

I had 1.25" of sag on my Nissan Titan when hooking my 831RLSS up with my hitch setup. It towed fine but, I kept playing with the setup and was able to dial it in to where I have no sag at all. It actually feels much better towing. Speaking for my setup, getting rid of the sag and leveling it out made a difference.

With that being said, everyone's comfort level while driving and towing are different just as the vehicles.

I'd use that video and stick to manufacturer's recommendations in their manual. The manual will tell you how to properly setup the hitch and what the acceptable limits would be for raising or lowering the front or rear of the truck.

Keep playing around and see if you notice a difference. I've seen so many people towing with no WDH when they should have one or people that have one and it isn't setup at all. I'm sure everyone has seen those folks going down the road. 1" isn't that bad at all but, you might feel much better if you are able to get it level.
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

IMO, 1" down in back and 1" up in front is TOO much. As Flagstaffer said, level is better. Get it back to your original measurements and it will tow a lot better.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, 1" down in back and 1" up in front is TOO much. As Flagstaffer said, level is better. Get it back to your original measurements and it will tow a lot better.
X2 on this, it is too much, I look at it this way 1 inch lift in front is lifting design weight off your steering it needs to be adjusted back down. It's just an adjustment may as well do it right and not accept these measurements as good enough.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #14

If you refer to the installation manual for the equalizer they say to measure the front wheel well distance off the ground with truck loaded but no TT connected. Then connect TT w/o WD and re-measure. Then you want to adjust WD to split the difference. So if it was 28" before TT and 30" after TT connected w/o WD then you want to adjust for 29". See manual attached.. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #15

Thank You to all, with that being said, once I dial this in to, I guess air suspension/bags is out of the question?.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Thank You to all, with that being said, once I dial this in to, I guess air suspension/bags is out of the question?.
Heck no,put on the bags. Then you can use them to (Fine Tune) your Headlights! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

I agree with a part of this. I believe that the front SHOULD NOT move up! If the front is going up that means when you are hitched up you are taking weight off of the front steering wheels! This can cause obvious problems! But I believe the 1" in the back isn't an issue! The truck will squat some due to how the springs are designed. If you check out your leaf springs there are multiple leaves. The lowest one is called the overload spring and is the stiffest of them all. As the main pack takes weight it flattens out and applies more and more surface area to the overload to increase the spring weight to allow the truck to hold more weight. It is done this way so you don't sacrifice ride quality when un loaded!

With a stock suspension you will want the trucks rear to squat some, there is nothing wrong with this! As long as the truck isn't squatting more in the back to where it is past level you are fine... (generally 2.5")

I have installed a leveling kit on the front of my truck so my truck sits level when un loaded. I have also installed air bags in my truck to prevent any additional weight to squat the rear end of my truck at all due to this.

I love air bags and strongly recommend them, but without knowing your trailers tongue weight I wouldn't yet suggest them to you....

Just my opinion.

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If your WDH is setup correctly, then you should not need airbags.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Once your WD is setup, if you put air in the bags and change the rear height of the truck now your wd is off again. If you want to use the bags inflate them to where you want them, then set up the WD. IMO with the wdh you should not need bags. Bags, IMO, are more for those with 5ers.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #20

Before you add bags, look up Cat Scale here on the forum and make a trip out one Saturday morning, loaded for camping.

Then, once the WDH is set up, then you could add bags. They will probably make the ride smoother in the F250.