Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #41

Tow weight recommendation

The good folks at Trailer Life magazine have been saying for years that the rig being towed should not exceed 80% of the tow vehicle's rating. You can find the accurate tow rating for nearly every vehicle imaginable on their annual Tow Guides at the trailerlife website. We are waiting for delivery of our 2021 23IKSS and bought a 2019 F150 with the Max Towing package which comes with 20" wheels to pull it. We did a LOT of research to determine the best tow vehicle for our rig.
Jodiwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
As per the Brake Controller, the CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (PIN: 146428) is taking over the market since it first came out earlier this year. It is wireless and you use your cell phone to set it. Plugs directly into your 7 pin connector between your tow vehicle and your TT. I just used mine on a 1,044 mile pull from Iowa to Long Island NY. Worked like a charm.

I purchased mine from Advanced Auto, online for $229.99. Join their club before purchase and get $25 to spend later. Use their online codes for additional discounts.

Best of luck,
SetauketJeff
My point here is that if there is a choice when purchasing a new TV, the preference would be the in-dash integrated brake controller. As stated prior, I brought the wireless style up to our son who is pretty knowledgeable and he chose to shop until he found the In-dash controller.

But, I also agree with you that wireless is a good option. We used a Blue Ox
Patriot toad brake system without issues. That is a wireless system.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiwer View Post
The good folks at Trailer Life magazine have been saying for years that the rig being towed should not exceed 80% of the tow vehicle's rating. You can find the accurate tow rating for nearly every vehicle imaginable on their annual Tow Guides at the trailerlife website. We are waiting for delivery of our 2021 23IKSS and bought a 2019 F150 with the Max Towing package which comes with 20" wheels to pull it. We did a LOT of research to determine the best tow vehicle for our rig.
The Ford, GM and Ram towing guides are WAY more accurate and useful, than the meager Trailer Life towing guide.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #44

Guess I chose right then. Max trailer weight for the 12 F350 is 15,700, 80% is 12560, my trailer wet and loaded is 12620. I'm over the trucks GVWR though by 100 pounds, so reduce the FWT by 1/3 to 1/2 and I am right on the money. I did my firs trip with a full FWT to see exactly where it weighs in since the tank is at the very front of the trailer. Now I know.

Now with the 1/2 ton, the F150 can be anywhere from 12,700 to 13,200 with Max tow. 80% of the 12,700 comes out to 10,160 pounds, however, that is a LOT of weight for the F150 and even with max tow and a lot of payload, @13% TW it is at the maximum receiver weight. It leaves NO wiggle room. IF it has the payload, it can tow within specs, but that is a lot of weight for a light duty truck. Keeping the trailer weight to 60-70% would be a more practical approach.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campjack View Post
Hi I am considering buying an older Acura Mdx for towing our new 2018 Roo 183. The dry weight is 3900 lbs and the MDX tows 5000 lbs. Does anyone have one and know of it has enough torque? We are planning on driving out west(we are from Illinois) next Summer so I want to make sure that it will make it through the mountains ok. I've had a minivan for 24 years so I dont want to get a larger truck like suv. I was hoping to downsize a little.
If you don't want to jump up to a full size SUV or 1/2 ton truck, the Dodge Durango V-6 and Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 will do the job for you on that TT.
Both rated at 6200 lbs towing and 600 lbs tongue weight, yet they will still get decent mileage on the hwy versus the Yukon or 1/2 ton trucks. Far less expensive than the Tahoe or Yukon. Stay away from the Diesel version though. Too many problems down the road. I learned the hard way purchasing a 4150 dry weight TT with 420 lbs (dry) tongue weight to pull with my Toyota Highlander, basically the same size vehicle as your MDX. 5000 lb towing and 500 lb tongue weight. After adding two 6 volt batteries, two full propane tanks, and half full water, I was way over the tongue weight at 620 lbs. TT max was over 5300 lbs.Highlander struggled in low gear on small foothill grades So not MDX. I took a hit, sold the highlander and purchased a Ford F-150 with camper shell. 3.5 Ecoboost engine. 10,700 tow rating. Pull my 5400 lb TT up the rockies with ease.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #46
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The Ford, GM and Ram towing guides are WAY more accurate and useful, than the meager Trailer Life towing guide.
Correct. I've seen 80%, 90%, 75%, and maybe one or two other rules of thumb. Meh. The rating is the rating. It's there to be used, so use it. All of it. Enjoy.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing