Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 06:19 AM   #1

Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch Assembly

Hello folks,

I am purchasing a 2022 Forest River Grey Wolf Model 26RR (Toy Hauler). I plan on purchasing and attaching a Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch Assembly.

Go to https://hensleymfg.com/ and check it out if you are unfamiliar or watch this you tube video

I know the cost is a little high and have been told hooking up can be a little challenging, but to me it would be worth it if it increases being safe and the elimination of trailer sway.

I just wanted to see how many others out there are using this set-up and if you can provide some positive or negative input?

My tow vehicle is a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Trail Boss 4x4 and yes it does have a tail gate cam.

I have had some folks disagree with my decision and try to convince me to purchase a Pro-Pride 3p hitch, however, I felt that their product was over-priced and they had the rudest customer service.

I have done my research and feel the Hensley is the better product.

Thanks in advance for your input.
danlavoie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
KSH

I had a propride when I had my travel trailer, I did the same research as you. It worked incredibly. I'd assume the Hensley being the older design would work just as well.

I use to text and call the owner and he would always respond politely, this was about 5 years ago, so things may have changed.

It was also nice having the adjustable shank, since I did switch trucks a few times.

All in all, they'll both accomplish what you want.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #3

After significant research, I installed a ProPride P3v2 earlier this year. The refinements in the PP design are significant and positive. However, the mechanical principles are the same. You will like the towing and anti-sway functionality regardless which hitch you select. The hitch/unhitch sequence will challenge at first, but once learned it will be easier than mounting bars and over-center latching that other WD designs require.
RockyGBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #4

You will be happy with the Hensley Arrow hitch. An advantage of the ProPride is the adjustable assembly hitch bar. An advantage of the Hensley is that the same part - the Hensley hitch bar (otherwise known as the "stinger") is one solid piece of welded steel -- NOT an assembly. That block of steel will never, ever break. Your truck's hitch receiver will fail before the Hensley stinger will break.

If you switch tow vehicles or trailers, and require a different drop-height hitch bar, Hensley Mfg. will promptly exchange your stinger for a nominal fee. (I've done that.) I towed with a Hensley Arrow for six years and can testify: the Hensley Arrow is built like an anvil and it works exactly as advertised.

You will read many positive reports from ProPride P3 owners. I also can say without hestitation: Get the Hensley.

P.S.: I sold my Hensley Arrow when I left RV'ing for a few years. When I bought my current, relatively light Grey Wolf, I purchased another manufacturer's anti-sway hitch (very effective for my 5,500 lb trailer). If I moved to a heavier trailer, I'd go back to a Hensley.
Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
Was

I've had a Hensley for several years. One of the smartest purchases I've ever made. There is a small learning curve hooking up, but I have never had any problems, even in some really tight spots. The difference towing with it is amazing. There are a lot of people who say you don't need a Hensley or ProPride and they are correct, you could get by with something else. I did for years, but after having one, I don't want to tow with anything else. Hands down Hensley or ProPride are the safest hitches made. I love my Hensley.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #6

I bought a Hensley Arrow after reading many reviews. I am a retired tractor trailer driver. I have been on a few trips with the Hensley, I tow a Grey Wolf 26RR with a 2018 max tow F 150. It is a pleasure to tow with. The only drawback, I use more gas because I can drive faster. The customer service is top notch. You won't be sorry with a Hensley Arrow.
Wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

Hensley Hitch

Had a Hensley hitch for about a year. Hated it! Too difficult to hook up. Ended up selling my truck/trailer and going to a motorhome. It is very heavy for a woman to deal with. Just saying....
cmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go West View Post
You will be happy with the Hensley Arrow hitch. An advantage of the ProPride is the adjustable assembly hitch bar. An advantage of the Hensley is that the same part - the Hensley hitch bar (otherwise known as the "stinger") is one solid piece of welded steel -- NOT an assembly. That block of steel will never, ever break. Your truck's hitch receiver will fail before the Hensley stinger will break.

If you switch tow vehicles or trailers, and require a different drop-height hitch bar, Hensley Mfg. will promptly exchange your stinger for a nominal fee. (I've done that.) I towed with a Hensley Arrow for six years and can testify: the Hensley Arrow is built like an anvil and it works exactly as advertised.

You will read many positive reports from ProPride P3 owners. I also can say without hestitation: Get the Hensley.

P.S.: I sold my Hensley Arrow when I left RV'ing for a few years. When I bought my current, relatively light Grey Wolf, I purchased another manufacturer's anti-sway hitch (very effective for my 5,500 lb trailer). If I moved to a heavier trailer, I'd go back to a Hensley.
They do break, not the stinger but poor and missing welds is what happened to this Hensley.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	574E34FE-D4A5-470B-A1D8-45F1885A1295.png
Views:	44
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	264042  
Attached Images

aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #9

With your extensive research Iím sure you already know that the owner/designer of the Propride is the same that designed the Hensley Arrow. Jim Hensley
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #10

Hensley Arrow

I have had my Hensley Arrow on two different Travel Trailers. I traveled yearly from Arkansas to Washington State yearly. My present trailer in a LaCrosse 338RKT. I love my Hensley and would never consider towing without it! You will not feel semi's passing with one and strong cross winds are not a concern at all! I highly recommend the Hensley!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:17 AM   #11

Lifetime warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
They do break, not the stinger but poor and missing welds is what happened to this Hensley.
Both WDH (Hensley & Propride) assemblies have a lifetime warranty. If this occurred due to poor welds, I am positive that the companies would replace it. More than we could say for any other WDH.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
With your extensive research Iím sure you already know that the owner/designer of the Propride is the same that designed the Hensley Arrow. Jim Hensley
Yes, and Propride is also more expensive, takes additional time to install and customer service is rude and does nothing but criticizes Hensley Mfg.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlavoie55 View Post
Both WDH (Hensley & Propride) assemblies have a lifetime warranty. If this occurred due to poor welds, I am positive that the companies would replace it. More than we could say for any other WDH.
Maybe they would. But when you are boondocking up by Yosemite and the Airstream is on the ground, half in the road and half in a driveway the warranty doesnít help much. These people had to get it fixed on the spot. Luckily they got to where they did, as they had just gone over 25 miles of winding road with 200í plus drop offs. That hitch was never inspected before it left the factory.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #14

aircommuter, So sorry to hear that, but tell me what is a better alternative? Does it have a lifetime warranty? (Other than Hensley and Propride WDH). I have experience with a couple of other hitches and receivers, Curt and Reese and neither can compare to Hensley or Propride, JMHO.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Yes, and Propride is also more expensive, takes additional time to install and customer service is rude and does nothing but criticizes Hensley Mfg.
You are the only person I've seen post anything other than glowing comments on Propride service. Personally, my experience has been phenomenal - I've gotten responses almost instantaneously, even late at night.
In that Hensley sued Propride (and lost) early on trying to put them out of business, it's not surprising that there is little love lost between the companies.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #16

Sorry if it offended you but I based that off of personal experience, I don't like being talked down to when I am asking questions and trying to learn.
Based on my research, I am pretty sure its a good product but I just wasn't happy with customer service.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #17

Quote:
aircommuter, So sorry to hear that, but tell me what is a better alternative? Does it have a lifetime warranty? (Other than Hensley and Propride WDH). I have experience with a couple of other hitches and receivers, Curt and Reese and neither can compare to Hensley or Propride, JMHO.
Personally I donít have an RV type trailer nor do I want one. I have numerous other types like 20í deck over, a couple tilt beds, some with ball, some pintle hook. One is rated 40k lbs. One tilt bed I made in my shop.
My daughter uses a Reese on a 20í toy hauler and it seems to work fine for 15 years. If you compare it with extreme performance as the more complex hitches it may not come out on top. But the lifetime warranty didnít come out on top either. I was the person who rescued and welded that one year old hitch for a young couple and their children who were stranded.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #18
Broken Toe

Quote:
"Takes additional time to install"... Like what? 15 minutes, one time? I have a Pro-pride and looked very hard at both it and the Hensley. Both are good, and they are really just variations on a theme. But, the engineer in me liked the Pro-Pride mounting style much more than the Hensley. If it took an extra hour (it didn't) to install, I would still prefer it.

And everyone knows Pro-Pride has the hands-down best customer service. The comment about them being "rude" has proven to be baseless many, many times over. They have gone above an beyond to help a customer in need more times than any company I know.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
The comment about them being "rude" has proven to be baseless many, many times over. Tim
Your Opinion....

Like I said based on my experience.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #20
CGK
Camping with Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was View Post
I've had a Hensley for several years. One of the smartest purchases I've ever made. There is a small learning curve hooking up, but I have never had any problems, even in some really tight spots. The difference towing with it is amazing. There are a lot of people who say you don't need a Hensley or ProPride and they are correct, you could get by with something else. I did for years, but after having one, I don't want to tow with anything else. Hands down Hensley or ProPride are the safest hitches made. I love my Hensley.
X2. Have had our Hensley for many years and on each of our upgraded TTs, and love it. Worth every penny to me, and judging from comments on the Hensley Forum, I am not alone in that regard. Have no personal experience with ProPride, but have heard good things about that, too. Safe travels!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley, hitch, sway, sway control