Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to dsagal79
Hensley Arrow worth the money?

Anyone go from using a Husky setup to a Hensley? Is it worth the money? Is it a hassle to hook up the tow vehicle? Any other concerns?
dsagal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Always Learning

I've only read glowing reviews of the Hensley and ProPride. Seem that most of those that have them wouldn't go without.

IMO, even if there are hookup hassles- the hassle is negated by the nice-ness of the tow.

But, wait for the cheerleaders.. they're coming.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #3

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

According to all the threads I've ever read about using the Hensley, the only complaint I've read is the initial cost of the unit

Old 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #5

I would not tow a TT without one, I had the Pro-Pride.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #6

Propride user. I wouldn't tow without it. Just finished a 4,000 mile trip from Illinois to Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, badlands etc. hitch was great until we were almost home after many long days of driving I forgot to check the yoke bolt. The yoke detached and for about 100 miles we towed through lacrosse, wi to Madison with a regular hitch. My wife who originally complained about the cost was grateful that I bought the propride for after experiencing towing with sway for 2 hours.

At first we couldn't figure out what happened then the next morning figure out what it was. Had to leave the rig in Wisconsin. Sean at propride shipped me the part I needed and I picked up the trailer the next weekend which once again was a pleasant towing experience.

Two takeaways, 1) propride worth every penny, and 2) make sure your bolts are secure during trips (you'll save yourself a bid headache in the end - even if you tow fro early morning until late at night.

I tow a 318bhs with a 3/4 ton yukon. Even in the mountains we could barely tell it was there.
Chfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #7

Is this (Yoke) bolt a regular maintenance item or it was (Not) torqued properly on install? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #8

Also you stated,(sway for 2 hours) was this constant sway or only when a Big truck or side wind hit ? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #9

It would not be worth the money....to me.
Trading up from my Equal-i-zer would be trying to solve a problem that I don't have.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
DDC

Been using a Hensley for a long time and I could not imagine towing without it now, was it expensive yes it was and that was back in the nineties but it has moved from trailer to trailer and allows safe relaxed driving all the time, will others argue and say theirs is ok that's fine cause mine is perfect.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #11

How easy is it to adjust the weight distribution of these hitches?
How noisy is it? I'm a pop-bang-creeeeeeak Equal-i-zer user
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Been using a Hensley for a long time and I could not imagine towing without it now, was it expensive yes it was and that was back in the nineties but it has moved from trailer to trailer and allows safe relaxed driving all the time, will others argue and say theirs is ok that's fine cause mine is perfect.

Wow... Wish I would've worn my waders today... He is laying it on thick! Perfect? I'm going to doubt that very much so! If the hensley was perfect there wouldn't have been room for the PP hitch to come out and in my eyes the PP is better anyways. Both of these hitches are GREAT hitches yes. But as it was stated earlier in some cases the Hensley or PP would be a great solution to an nonexistent problem. So spending extra money to solve/prevent nothing isn't perfect.

There is absolutely no doubt that these are some top notch hitches, but any and all of them will be far from perfect...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #13

Towing my new trailer home 600miles and my wife nearly having a panic attack and nausea I was pretty darn convinced I NEEDED A propride.....

Took a deep breath, hit the scales and adjusted, adjusted, and ADJUSTED my equalizer....once it was CORRECT the ride was beautiful...hardly knew the trailer was back there once I was up to speed. ..

Semi's would fly by and I would pucker but no sway...no bob....nothing. ..just a nice smooth ride...wife thought I had bought the' good' hitch I was telling her about....lol

So Imho if u have an adequate tv and a PROPERLY adjusted equalizer u should have decent if not great ride quality...

Ive helped a few buddys adjust their improper setups and all they say is wow...

Propide is a great product tho. ..I can also see how it would perform well even if it wasnt completely adjusted correctly...the trailer just cannot sway no matter where the bars are set to...hence why it works so well!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't knock the hitch at all; too many good reports and I've never experienced one. But, I'm not sure that everybody needs one. I have ZERO sway issues using my Reese. So, in my case, it wouldn't be worth the added cost.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to dsagal79
My current configuration isn't bad, it just isn't great. I do have sway when trucks go by and I get the porpoise affect when the roads are bad but my TV is certainly adequate for this application. I have a 2011 RAM 2500 PowerWagon and I am towing a 2013 RockWood 8311SS.

The power wagon has a taller stance than the typical RAM 2500s so I needed a drop in order to keep things level.

I have a husky sway control bar and it helps but I just think it could be better. My goal is to make sure I have the most pleasant experience so if adjusting the old hitch does it, i am ok with that but if not and buying a new hitch helps, then that will be my next step.

Anyone have any good resources on adjusting a WDH?
dsagal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Wow... Wish I would've worn my waders today... He is laying it on thick! Perfect? I'm going to doubt that very much so! If the hensley was perfect there wouldn't have been room for the PP hitch to come out and in my eyes the PP is better anyways. Both of these hitches are GREAT hitches yes. But as it was stated earlier in some cases the Hensley or PP would be a great solution to an nonexistent problem. So spending extra money to solve/prevent nothing isn't perfect.

There is absolutely no doubt that these are some top notch hitches, but any and all of them will be far from perfect...
OOps I did miss adding the pro-pride I usually group them together. but the OP did ask about Hensley!
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsagal79 View Post
My current configuration isn't bad, it just isn't great. I do have sway when trucks go by and I get the porpoise affect when the roads are bad but my TV is certainly adequate for this application. I have a 2011 RAM 2500 PowerWagon and I am towing a 2013 RockWood 8311SS.

The power wagon has a taller stance than the typical RAM 2500s so I needed a drop in order to keep things level.

I have a husky sway control bar and it helps but I just think it could be better. My goal is to make sure I have the most pleasant experience so if adjusting the old hitch does it, i am ok with that but if not and buying a new hitch helps, then that will be my next step.

Anyone have any good resources on adjusting a WDH?
You would need to weigh ur current setup and assess current weight distribution..then adjust as needed to balance out the front and rear axles of tv and make sure yhe trailer is level or slightly nose down.....we have had several in depth discussions on this just do a search...im sure you will find MORE than u care to read through...lol...good luck and I hope adjusting it solves all your woes and sways...
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #18

By looking at your setup Truck and the nice trailer. The hitch holds the two together. The best hitch on the market is the pro-pride 3 p . It worth the money if you drive over 60 miles per hour on the highway with other big truck. Safety has no price.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
By looking at your setup Truck and the nice trailer. The hitch holds the two together. The best hitch on the market is the pro-pride 3 p . It worth the money if you drive over 60 miles per hour on the highway with other big truck. Safety has no price.

I tow with the cruise set to 65 most of the time, and never ever feel unsafe....I agree safety has no price, but again, with the way I have my trailer and hitch finally set up, I feel just as comfortable and in control as when I am hauling the car hauler gooseneck.

a propride is without a doubt a awesome piece of engineering, but as so many have said before me, where does the benefit lie when there is no underlying control or sway issue to begin with? and if there is a small potential safety benefit, over my current problem free setup, is it worth the nearly 10 fold price differential.....

honestly I would think investing in some GOOD tires and a GOOD pressure monitoring system would be no only cheaper but more beneficial in that case?..

just my .02 tho......tow safe, arrive alive......that's all that matters!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsagal79 View Post
Anyone go from using a Husky setup to a Hensley? Is it worth the money? Is it a hassle to hook up the tow vehicle? Any other concerns?
Yes it worth the money!! Now if you haven't upgraded your truck and trailer tires that could be a issue also. But the hitch will over come the tires.
Mine felt like a tale on a dog. installed the hitch gone. But I could feel the hitch working in high wind 20 to 30 in the side. Upgraded tires on the trailer felt even better.
Most of the time people with a 3/4 ton don't need the best hitch. But it still worth the money. If you have a blow out on the truck or the trailer. The hitch worth it weight in gold at 65 miles per hour. In good conditions any hitch will do the job. Quick lane changes quick stops high winds bad conditions.

The power wagon being taller could be the issue. I would talk to Sean a pro-pride he could help more than any of us on this site.

http://www.propridehitch.com/

http://youtu.be/PkyPoVpTRvM

Hensley-Hitch-RVShow-Video.mpg - YouTube
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote