Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #1

Hensley Hitch

I just purchased a Hensley Arrow hitch, the main reason was I would get a little sway if the anti-sway bar was not adjusted correctly and it seemed to never be able to set in the same place twice and I am tired of pulling over on the trip to adjust trying to find the best location for setting it. Just wanting to reach out to others that the Hensley to see how you like it and any pointers you might have. I just had knee surgery so for right now it is in boxes in my garage. Thanks for any feedback.
Batjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
Norwood Auto Italia

Noticed that no one responded to your question. I have used the Cub for nearly 20 years now and swear by it. I have towed with all sorts of suitable and unsuitable vehicles and the hitch has prevented sway, truck push and overall greater security. Once the thing is set up there is virtually nothing else to do except hitch up which is the sole challenge. You need a very good camera as it requires accurate positioning to insert the drawbar into the hitch. Once you know how its like a bike but until then it can be hard work.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Noticed that no one responded to your question. I have used the Cub for nearly 20 years now and swear by it. I have towed with all sorts of suitable and unsuitable vehicles and the hitch has prevented sway, truck push and overall greater security. Once the thing is set up there is virtually nothing else to do except hitch up which is the sole challenge. You need a very good camera as it requires accurate positioning to insert the drawbar into the hitch. Once you know how its like a bike but until then it can be hard work.

Thank you for the response, I just installed last weekend and hauled for the first time just to test and so far I am very pleased.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #4

I have a ProPride and yes they are great hitches. They aren’t too popular on these forums because they are a bandaid and a waste of money, but I know first had they work and work very very well.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
I have a ProPride and yes they are great hitches. They aren’t too popular on these forums because they are a bandaid and a waste of money, but I know first had they work and work very very well.
I don't think that they aren't popular here. Almost all agree the PP and Hensley are the best WDHs made.
The disagreement is that many fans believe that everyone should have one.
Many of us are unwilling to pay that much money, when our regular WDH works just fine, for 10x less the cost.
The key is a well matched towing combo. If you have a TV easily capable of towing the trailer and have a modern WDH with integrated sway control, you'll be fine. My $400 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH has been great for the past 15 years of towing. And that's been over all the Western mountain ranges and in rain, wind, snow and ice.

I would heartily recommend the PP or Hensley to anyone towing with a marginal tow vehicle.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #6

We loved ours. Kept it until we got a 5th wheel. Great hitch. Towed cross-country with it. Tip: when you unhitch, keep loosening the jack towers until they put a little reverse pressure down on the spring bars - just enough to hold the spring bars in place when you pull the hitch bar out. Makes it easier to hitch back up, especially at weird angles.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #7

Good info guys, thanks for the feedback. I just finished the install and first test about two weeks ago. I was very pleased with the first pull down the road, I had no sway at all but just to be clear I was not all over the road with mine and when the original anti-sway was adjusted correctly it would not sway either. My main gripe was that you could never set it twice in the same place and I think the worst place to be is sitting on the side of the road. I thought hitching and un-hitching was great and I am thrilled not to have chains to lock in for the LDH. It is a little pricey but I was thinking of convenience and safety more. We are heading out on a fall camping trip next month and will be pulling through the mountains to Cherokee NC next month so I should have some more data after that. Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #8
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
We loved ours. Kept it until we got a 5th wheel. Great hitch. Towed cross-country with it. Tip: when you unhitch, keep loosening the jack towers until they put a little reverse pressure down on the spring bars - just enough to hold the spring bars in place when you pull the hitch bar out. Makes it easier to hitch back up, especially at weird angles.
Another tip to add: remember that cranking down on the bars (I usually set it at the 3 bar mark on the tower) tilts the nose of the hitch downward as a means to load share. Its that angle relative to the hitch bar that you have to match for disconnecting and reconnecting. A smear of lithium grease around the corner of the draw/hitch bar makes both connecting and disconnecting easier.
I also use a rechargeable camera mounted on the draw bar to make my hook up a lot less of a guess.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #9

I wanted to follow up on my first trip. I hauled from my house 30 miles north of Knoxville TN to Cherokee NC. You have to take 40 east through a mountain pass to get there with serious hills up and down plus tunnels. The hitch performed better than expected, there was absolutely no movement when 18 wheelers would pass, no sway no uncomfortable feelings in fact it was a pleasure to drive. When I hitched up at my house I had 0 problems lining up and it was great not dealing with the LDH chains. It did take me probably 15 minutes trying to hitch at the campground but once leveled the hitch to the pin it was ok, main issue was just as I was sliding the stinger in the hitch the front tires of the truck would come off the asphalt changing the angle. I am very pleased with the hitch and would buy or recommend to anyone. It is pricey but safety is worth every penny and since a comment was made before about liking because you paid so much does not apply here, if it sucked I would have stated it. Thanks for all the help and stay safe.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #10

A couple of suggestions based on my experience with a Propride.
1. A light spray with a dry lube is better than using grease. Grease will attract dirt and the grit will make it harder to hitch and unhitch.
2. If you have a backup camera on your TV, painting the front edge of the hitch makes it easier to line up.
3. I find it easiest to hitch and and unhitch if the WD bars are loose. When hitching up, if the stinger binds because your TV changes angles, just re-loosen the WD bars. If there is still some pressure from your TV trying to back up, a sideways push with your foot will often get things to slide farther in if the WD bars are loose. Similarly, un-hitching, once the bars are loose, a sideways push will often get a partial separation.
4. You don't need to get the stinger completely seated, just far enough to get the over center latches to engage. Locking down the latches will finish seating the hitch.
5. When un-hitching, get all the tension off the the WD bars first using your tongue jack.

Safe travels...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
A couple of suggestions based on my experience with a Propride.
1. A light spray with a dry lube is better than using grease. Grease will attract dirt and the grit will make it harder to hitch and unhitch.
2. If you have a backup camera on your TV, painting the front edge of the hitch makes it easier to line up.
3. I find it easiest to hitch and and unhitch if the WD bars are loose. When hitching up, if the stinger binds because your TV changes angles, just re-loosen the WD bars. If there is still some pressure from your TV trying to back up, a sideways push with your foot will often get things to slide farther in if the WD bars are loose. Similarly, un-hitching, once the bars are loose, a sideways push will often get a partial separation.
4. You don't need to get the stinger completely seated, just far enough to get the over center latches to engage. Locking down the latches will finish seating the hitch.
5. When un-hitching, get all the tension off the the WD bars first using your tongue jack.

Safe travels...

Nice tips, thanks. I had initially put a dry lube on but also got a can of silicon spray as suggested by Hensley.

Tags
hensley, hitch