Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
When you say your “experience” I have to assume you have actually towed with both a Hensley and a PP, otherwise you really don’t have any experience to share.
Nope, I spend the additional $3,000 and upgraded the truck - problem solved.
bswanney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #42

x2 on the tire deal. I am sure a "real tire person" can help more. I think the increased tire rating is very important....especially in light trucks.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #43

thanks for the replies. While I 100% believe the feedback from the actual users, I think in the end the numbers game just does not work. Here is why:

From a weight standpoint, this depends on what I put in the back of the truck. The least amount for a typical trip is 200 lbs under payload. Now I am considering bringing a propane powered firepit instead of wood, so that would save weight (because we do not always like the smoke, keeping it dry, etc). However if I add LT tires (which I will need new tires within 5k miles anyway if I keep the truck) they will add approximately 104 lbs over stock. Current tires weigh about 30 lbs each. LT range in weight, but in general about 55 lbs. each. Now I would need to add the extra 60-80 lbs for the hitch. I have already eaten up my 200 extra lbs of payload for the most part.
Tires will run just over $1k depending, and I got a quote on a refurbished Hensley for about $2600 shipped. That is now pushing $4k on investments to try and make the F150 more stable, and still be over or right at payload.
$4k goes a decent ways towards a down payment on a 3/4 ton. With Ram and Ford releasing their new 250/2500, prices of used and 2018 models will start to get discounted further. For example I have my eye on a 2018 Ram Laramie 6.4 Megacab, red with the Sport package and ramboxes. Selling price is $48k after discounts currently. Payload climbs to 2900 lbs. (and no, diesel is not a consideration, don't even bring it up!)

Somebody said I was trying to talk myself into a new truck. While I like my current truck, the best long term solution (since its possible a small 5th wheel is in our future) the numbers are not really pointing towards sticking with the F150 from a legal and weight standpoint.
gone: 2013 F150, standard Tow
2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Propride hitch
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
thanks for the replies. While I 100% believe the feedback from the actual users, I think in the end the numbers game just does not work. Here is why:

From a weight standpoint, this depends on what I put in the back of the truck. The least amount for a typical trip is 200 lbs under payload. Now I am considering bringing a propane powered firepit instead of wood, so that would save weight (because we do not always like the smoke, keeping it dry, etc). However if I add LT tires (which I will need new tires within 5k miles anyway if I keep the truck) they will add approximately 104 lbs over stock. Current tires weigh about 30 lbs each. LT range in weight, but in general about 55 lbs. each. Now I would need to add the extra 60-80 lbs for the hitch. I have already eaten up my 200 extra lbs of payload for the most part.
Tires will run just over $1k depending, and I got a quote on a refurbished Hensley for about $2600 shipped. That is now pushing $4k on investments to try and make the F150 more stable, and still be over or right at payload.
$4k goes a decent ways towards a down payment on a 3/4 ton. With Ram and Ford releasing their new 250/2500, prices of used and 2018 models will start to get discounted further. For example I have my eye on a 2018 Ram Laramie 6.4 Megacab, red with the Sport package and ramboxes. Selling price is $48k after discounts currently. Payload climbs to 2900 lbs. (and no, diesel is not a consideration, don't even bring it up!)

Somebody said I was trying to talk myself into a new truck. While I like my current truck, the best long term solution (since its possible a small 5th wheel is in our future) the numbers are not really pointing towards sticking with the F150 from a legal and weight standpoint.
Sounds like a well informed decision.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #45

Good decision. When I read the title the first thing that came to mind was

Hensley/Propride + a half ton truck does not equal a 2500
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Or...just get the right tow vehicle to begin with...
THAT picture is the PERFECT Solution
DASchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:04 AM   #47
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Don't wait too long to get a 2018 or 2019 3/4-ton model.

When the 2020's hit the dealers soon, the 2018 & 19 3/4-ton trucks will be gone in a matter of days.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #48

Just a thought when adding the weight of tires and wheels to your truck total. It is a factor when getting your gross numbers of GVW and GVCW. However it is unsprung weight so I wouldn't be too concerned about losing weight when upgrading tires or wheels.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #49

Interesting video...must see:

Trailer Crash Video Caused By Uneven Weight Distribution
Old 01-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #50
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
Just a thought when adding the weight of tires and wheels to your truck total. It is a factor when getting your gross numbers of GVW and GVCW. However it is unsprung weight so I wouldn't be too concerned about losing weight when upgrading tires or wheels.
Since you mentioned tires, he is factoring 25 lbs more per tire. When I swapped my P tires to E is was less than 10 lbs per tire.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post

I don't believe tires add on the payload just GVWR
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I don't believe tires add on the payload just GVWR
I believe the same since it is unsprung weight.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #53

Quote:
I am different... as soon as that started happening....I would have been way back.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #54
Tom

Quote:
Should have had a Hensley or Propride.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
Should have had a Hensley or Propride.
Should have had a beefier tow vehicle...
Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Should have had a beefier tow vehicle...
And a WDH with sway control.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #57

I have the larger of the two ProPride hitches.
Drive a Chevy Suburban 2500 4X4 with Anti Sway for and aft. Towing a Forest River 30' V-Lite.
Great hitch! I don't have any sway towed great.
As someone else mentioned Big Rigs will push and pull but a large amount.
Regg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #58

I am towing a Rockwood 2902WS with E2 hitch. 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 with LT tires at 50psi. No problems at all.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #59

I have towed without either on a 3/4 ton and felt fine with the same trailer. I believe it was because the 3/4ton outweighed my trailer and my 1/2ton did not. A Hensley is not necessary for every situation but it does help in all.

I get the tail wagging the dog comment but also get the fact that the hitch design just works...the trailer no longer has leverage on my truck and does not create sway. The wind will push the whole setup but not make them work against each other. I have towed with a hensley and a 1/2 ton and I will never go back to towing my TT without it on any truck.

Bottom line yes a bigger truck can solve your problems but so does the hitch (within weight limits). The hitch will make even the bigger truck safer and more stable. While I think it is a bit pricy it was way cheaper than a new truck right now. It masks nothing. It resolved my concerns and issues. I will keep the hitch and use it even when I upgrade trucks for the next larger TT. I was skeptical until I used it.

It's a bit like getting a 3/4 ton or a diesel. You think you get it before you have one...then you get one and a whole new world opens up...same with kids too.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post

Wow, good point. Can't believe I was thinking that.

I am been reading non stop about Hensley and propride hitch weights. Over at the airstream forum there is tons of info. Apparently everyone that has an AS also has a H/pp hitch....

Anyway their tickets from the cat scales are showing these heavy hitches really do not add more tw but rather more is shifted to the tt axles...
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley, propride, truck