Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

Hensley Trailer Saver or other air ride 5th Hitch Recommendations

Need some help. We are looking at purchasing the Hensley Trailer Saver TS3 or the BD3 hitch. We have the Cedar Creek 37RTH, w/Morryde pinbox that we tow with a 2018 Dodge 3500 4x4 Dually. The BD3 is a 2 piece for getting in/out of the truck easier, rated at 3500lb pin weight 18k gross, TS3 4500lb pin 25k total, our 37rth 3200lb pin about 17k loaded. Hensley states no problem pushing the limit on BD3. Anyone have experience with either of these hitches that can chime in with an opinion or if you have another air ride hitch that you feel is better, your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Redheaded blue tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #2

I don't have any experience with either.

However, overbuilt is never a bad thing in my book. I will admit that I'm the guy driving a 1-ton dually and pulling a 7500lb travel trailer. Some will think it's overkill. I'd thumb my nose at them and tell them to mind their own business.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #3

3500 pin weight would concern me. Mine's rated for around that or less, but in actuality it's way more. If I could get the BD5, I'd get that one.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #4

Hensley Trailer Saver or other air ride 5th Hitch Recommendations

I have a SOB fifth wheel that has a 15.5k GVWR. I tow it with a 17 F350 and the BD3. The fiver has the MorRyde kingpin which in combination with the air ride hitch makes for a very nice towing experience.

The hitch is a heavy beast! Even when taking the 2 pieces apart, each piece is still quite heavy. If I had to guess, each piece is about 80-100 pounds. With 2 people it’s not a problem but trying to muscle it alone is better left to the body builder types.
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #5

I Know You Hate to Hear!

I pull our 2014 Sandpiper 360PDEK with a less than 40# Andersen hitch and could not be happier with the towing ride, easy of use, customer service and over all experience.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #6

BandJCarm
the BD5 would be great but wasn't offered as an option by Hensley, hitch mount adapter only fits the ford/gm puck system for that hitch, doesn't make sense that they didn't make a ram puck adapter plate for that hitch, will call Hensley and see what they have planned if anything to fit the Ram puck mounts

Old 12-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #7

I have been using the Hensley Trailer Saver for a lot of years. I am now towing a Hathaway 34RL2. I love the hitch. It is an older model that I can slide. It is a heavy beast but I overcome this by using an electric hoist that I mounted in my garage ceiling and then use a dolly to move it around the garage. I got the hoist and dolly from Harbor Freight.
The air-bags in the hitch really help smooth out the road and the jaws of the hitch are the most solid of any that I have seen. The Hensley people are extremely good at supporting their products.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Always Learning

Call Hensley and ask which they recommend. Aaron was super helpful in answering all of my questions.

I have the TS3 and have never lifted it. It was put into the truck bed with a fork truck at the shipping depot and then any time I've needed to remove it, I just lock the handle closed and leave it hang from the king pin (got permission from Hensley). Admittedly, I remove my hitch a lot less than some.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
I pull our 2014 Sandpiper 360PDEK with a less than 40# Andersen hitch and could not be happier with the towing ride, easy of use, customer service and over all experience.
I went from an Andersen to the Trailer Saver and any comparison between the two is absolutely laughable.

I know I'm in the minority, but our ride was absolutely terrible and very jerky in the truck cab with the Andersen. The Trailer Saver is night and day different. (Hell, I went from a B&W Companion to the Andersen and the ride with the B&W was significantly better.)

I will say, Aaron at Hensley must have reminded me 4-5 times that the Trailer Saver is super heavy. I think he worried that I'd be aghast at the 300 lb. hitch vs. the 40 pound pyramid.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #10

just got off the phone with aaron at Hensley, the BD5 with the RAM puck mount adapter plate should be going into production very soon. we will post results as soon as we get it installed and have a CURT A24 w/ RAM mount less than yr old for sale.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #11

TS3

I bought a TS3 13 years ago it has been the best investment for towing that I have made. Most of the time you don't even know the trailer is even there. If you buy one make sure it has shock absorbers mine didn't but I got a kit from Hensley. The only thing I have done in the last 13 years is get a lift kit and lube it. Before I had the TS3 I would get a stiff neck when towing. I have had the hitch on two Chevy pickups and four 5th wheels. My current setup is a 2014 1 ton single Duramax and a 2015 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley, hitch, trailer