Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 11:31 PM   #41

Nothing beats a hensley hitch

Agreed, Hensley offers no BS in their ads or operations. We got a hensley with a used tt we purchased 8 years ago with the intention of selling it. After the tow home, I changed my mind, after 40 years of 3 pt equalizers and sway controls, bigger TV's, better tires, etc. We towed our Prime Time, a 2018 251RKS, and now our GD 2607 MKS with the hensley effortlessly with a GMC 1500 short bed crew cab 40,000+ miles (set up for 9400 LBS GVW). I'm convinced purchasing an oversized TV will not correct any type of sway or crosswind issues, my wife now has no concerns with the hensley and splits the drive with our GD2607 and hensley. Purchasing a used hensley and life time warranty for $500.00 will set you back $2,000.00. A much better deal than 60 K for a fancy TV that will still sway. The only other comment I might add is that we moved on from the culture supported by FR management and the lemon FR 251, and its perpetual build and equipment failures, shortcomings, lack of support,etc. to a GD 2607 RKS and now dont worry about sway, wind or what's going to fail, break or be not supported by FR at our next venue. We just finished a two day drive shared by my wife from northern Ohio to the lower keys, with No issues. Last summer I chose to rebuild the 25 yr old Hensley and IAW the guarantee all Ii had to do was pay the freight for the bearings seals and Misc parts supported by the warranty .
I'm not usually a supporter of Hype and ads, but Hensley describes it best when they call this hitch an arrow. All true and worth the money. You can move from a two fisteed white knuckle drive experience, to a two finger all day drive. Having just demoed a diesel pusher class A, and a Big Class C, Hensley is the answer until you can move up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I cannot recommend the Hensley or ProPride enough. These hitches are one of the few things you will ever find where all the hype you hear about it is true.

Simple truth is nothing equals the towing experience with a Hensley or ProPride. Some other hitches may even get up to "good enough". And if "good enough" is enough for some, then I'm happy for them and the money they saved. I never really got to "good enough" with my old hitch on my current camper. That's why I paid the money for a ProPride.

Which brings us to the only real decision point. Cost. You pay a lot for the difference between "good enough" and "good". Some blanch at the cost. Its a heck of a lot of money, and I was worried if it was a good investment. Till the first time passing a truck out on the highway. Then it went from "a heck of a lot of money", to "best money I have spent" in about 3 seconds.

Tim

P.S. I recommend paying attention to the guys who use one, and not so much to the nay-sayers who have never used one that tell you that it's a waste of money.
capttjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:43 PM   #42

Someone will chime in and say "not my rig or truck!" To my comment, but based on what I see at campgrounds, my pending comment holds truth...

Purchase prices:
You have a $40k + tow vehicle.
You have a $25k + camper.

This is probably the average I see. Sure there is higher and lower. Me personally have a 50k truck and a 35k camper.

So I have 85k in it. And for about 3% of that investment i have the only piece that links it all together, sway free.
In the whole scheme of things, it doesn't cost that much. Especially when you factor in you will trade your camper on average 4 years and the truck 3 years. The hitch moves from trailer to truck for the lifetime. Buy once, never buy again.

Or upgrade to a 70k diesel like many recommend and still have trailer movement.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #43

I own a Hensley

I love my Hensley. No away. Drive 15k per year. Before Hensley all over road. Owned for 4 years and eliminated all away on my half ton and also on f250. Buy it. Safety has no price.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #44
swj

capttj, tell me about the "lemon FR 251," if it's a chronic "bad tow" travel trailer, need to know. I own a 2017 251RKS, like the trailer, it sways and the placement of the spare tire is a little weird, ask the guys at Discount tire about
moving/working with spare... others have said the 251RKS sways the same way a toy hauler is prone to sway, too much weight at on the back of the trailer. Which I found to not be true when I weight the empty trailer tongue weight at 1000 lbs. Will the Hensley/propride p3 cure the sway/trailer suck on the 29 ft.,
loaded 6700 lbs, 251RKS?
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #45

The hitch will certainly help, but you still need to have a properly loaded tongue. Both hitches add about 100# to the tongue so that will help. (Note this doesn't mean it would add 100# to the truck).
Old 01-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #46

Never saw an answer on the truck tires. Did you remove the P's and add LT's? Or did it come with LT's?
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Never saw an answer on the truck tires. Did you remove the P's and add LT's? Or did it come with LT's?
I'd like to know that too. Does the truck have LT tires? If unsure, look at the tire size.. if it starts with a "P" you have passenger car tires NOT LT's. LT's feature stiffer sidewalls and will give you more stability.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I'd like to know that too. Does the truck have LT tires? If unsure, look at the tire size.. if it starts with a "P" you have passenger car tires NOT LT's. LT's feature stiffer sidewalls and will give you more stability.
If debating between a 3P and new LT tires, I would put the money towards the 3p. Been there. The LT use more gas year round driving. I noticed about a 1.5 mpg hit on mine. When using the 3p I noticed 0 added benefit with the LT tires and significantly more benefit out of the hitch. I will not be changing out my P tires in my new truck. Will probably inflate them to 45 psi however.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzerarc View Post
If debating between a 3P and new LT tires, I would put the money towards the 3p. Been there. The LT use more gas year round driving. I noticed about a 1.5 mpg hit on mine. When using the 3p I noticed 0 added benefit with the LT tires and significantly more benefit out of the hitch. I will not be changing out my P tires in my new truck. Will probably inflate them to 45 psi however.
Sorry, but I'd argue that if he's set up properly the Equal-i-zer hitch is more than sufficient. No need to spend that kind of dough in a fancy hitch.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #50

Not everybody has sway or control or weight issues . my set up with the andersen has never swayed ,bounced , and with good tires no sucking from trucks . winds are not and never have been an issue. Spend what you will to get the drive you want . but I've been 1 finger driving since day one with this set up . this is with a xlr29hsf 33'11" rear garage with a 900lbs bike and about 300lbs of other stuff . good TW proper set up 2500 truck and no need to spend $3000 on a hitch to fix problems that are not there . others seem to have a hard time getting there units set up and towing good .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Sorry, but I'd argue that if he's set up properly the Equal-i-zer hitch is more than sufficient. No need to spend that kind of dough in a fancy hitch.
Never said he needed one...just answering his question from real life experience. I towed for years with an equalizer trouble free for the most part too.
His money, do as he pleases.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Not everybody has sway or control or weight issues . my set up with the andersen has never swayed ,bounced , and with good tires no sucking from trucks . winds are not and never have been an issue. Spend what you will to get the drive you want . but I've been 1 finger driving since day one with this set up . this is with a xlr29hsf 33'11" rear garage with a 900lbs bike and about 300lbs of other stuff . good TW proper set up 2500 truck and no need to spend $3000 on a hitch to fix problems that are not there . others seem to have a hard time getting there units set up and towing good .
The assumption is there in your post that people with expensive hitches do not know how to setup a trailer. My trailer has been over scales countless times, at about 13% tw, perfectly level, proper loading to the front tires.
Tows good, but every trailer tows differently. Like I said in an earlier post, it's the difference between good and really good. I felt it was fine to pay for really good. I also don't drive an expensive 2500 truck either that costs significantly more than 3000. To each their own.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #53
I'm Lost

Quote:

That kind of mileage drop was a combination of things, the very least of which was the LT tyres.

Tyre type, design, tread pattern, driving habits, weather, all contribute to that mileage difference.

Did you buy the same manufacturer, tread design, size, etc when you upgraded; did you monitor the fuel consumption for at least a year before the tyre swap and then a year on the new LTs? Did you maintain pretty much the same driving habits and load in your truck during those tracking periods?

Or did you just calculate a couple of tankfuls each way or worse yet, just looked at your on-board display? You say your difference was "about 1.5mpg", that doesn't sound very scientific or accurate.

I can write off a portion of all three of my trucks including my personal one, my people driving them have to keep accurate log books in each one going back to when it was new, a few minutes work and we can produce mileage records for any given period, a bit of time and an average overall since the vehicles were new.

I find it very hard to believe you noticed any difference at all; ride comfort, yes, but not mileage. Now that being said, did you go oversize in width or increase the aspect ration, because both will affect your mileage?

Info source- Most of this info is from my BIL over several "get better mileage while towing" campfire meetings, he manages an OK Tire location.

Geoff

2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #54

Quote:
The assumption is there in your post that people with expensive hitches do not know how to setup a trailer. My trailer has been over scales countless times, at about 13% tw, perfectly level, proper loading to the front tires.

Tows good, but every trailer tows differently. Like I said in an earlier post, it's the difference between good and really good. I felt it was fine to pay for really good. I also don't drive an expensive 2500 truck either that costs significantly more than 3000. To each their own.
The assumption is that most people in general (including those that should know.. ie: dealers). Don't have a clue on how to properly set a WD hitch up. Going to a Hensley or Pro-Pride prior to exhausting lower cost options is a waste of money IMHO.

EDIT: I will be honest and say it does bother me when the Hensley and Pro-Pride chorus immediately picks up on the opportunity to spread the gospel of buying a $2500 hitch rather than trying to help the OP find a lower cost solution. Those same folks seem to think it's their mission to belittle and downplay others thoughts and insight (mine comes from setting up WD hitches on multiple vehicles over a 20 yr period). If the OP wants to drop that kind of change on a hitch then they are more than free to do so. Nobody is saying "Don't buy it".

Since the OP hasn't answered my question about the type of tire they're running on the truck and seems to be more than capable of answering that question I'm going to assume they're likely "P" rated tires which will be an issue. That's all I'm saying.. upgrading to an LT tire might resolve the problem. If it were me I'd rather spend a couple of hundred bucks on new tires.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #55

Different brands (Goodyear to Michelin) , exact same sizes. The LT tires were about 11# heavier each than the previous. I drive a lot of highway, so pretty consistent. All I know is the day I switched, I immediately started to see the reduced mileage. I don't need scientific records to know when it's using consistently more gas with the flip of a switch. They did take some of the slop out of turns and going over tracks for example. I did not notice any extra stability towing, but the hitch covers that up.
gone: 2013 F150, standard Tow
2018 Rockwood 2905ws Emerald Package
Propride hitch
Old 01-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #56

Quote:
The assumption is that most people in general (including those that should know.. ie: dealers). Don't have a clue on how to properly set a WD hitch up. Going to a Hensley or Pro-Pride prior to exhausting lower cost options is a waste of money IMHO.

EDIT: I will be honest and say it does bother me when the Hensley and Pro-Pride chorus immediately picks up on the opportunity to spread the gospel of buying a $2500 hitch rather than trying to help the OP find a lower cost solution. Those same folks seem to think it's their mission to belittle and downplay others thoughts and insight (mine comes from setting up WD hitches on multiple vehicles over a 20 yr period). If the OP wants to drop that kind of change on a hitch then they are more than free to do so. Nobody is saying "Don't buy it".

Since the OP hasn't answered my question about the type of tire they're running on the truck and seems to be more than capable of answering that question I'm going to assume they're likely "P" rated tires which will be an issue. That's all I'm saying.. upgrading to an LT tire might resolve the problem. If it were me I'd rather spend a couple of hundred bucks on new tires.
The OP asked a question, and I have tried all of the popular suggestions. LT tires, hitch adjustments, weighing, HD truck, ProPride. I gave my experience and that is simply answering the question based on my unique experience very few on here can give. If my trailer was less than 30', I probably would have kept the equalizer.
Have you ever considered the users of these hitches are quick to recommend them because they really work especially with longer trailers pulled with shorter wheelbases. Not everyone wants an HD truck (a very popular suggestion..."you need an HD truck for anything over 6000#!) Plus it's an significantly more expensive upgrade vs the hitch. If someone wants to spend their money it's their choice. I don't see a reason for a toy hauler and expensive bikes to go in it either like some have, but that's my choice to not buy.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #57

Quote:
The OP asked a question, and I have tried all of the popular suggestions. LT tires, hitch adjustments, weighing, HD truck, ProPride. I gave my experience and that is simply answering the question based on my unique experience very few on here can give. If my trailer was less than 30', I probably would have kept the equalizer.
Have you ever considered the users of these hitches are quick to recommend them because they really work especially with longer trailers pulled with shorter wheelbases. Not everyone wants an HD truck (a very popular suggestion..."you need an HD truck for anything over 6000#!) Plus it's an significantly more expensive upgrade vs the hitch. If someone wants to spend their money it's their choice. I don't see a reason for a toy hauler and expensive bikes to go in it either like some have, but that's my choice to not buy.
I drug a 33' 7500lb TT all over the US with an Escalade. I can't tell you how many times someone told me that I needed one of those expensive hitches. I heard about a sorts of certain doom I was going to experience pulling with that vehicle.

Truth was is that the trailer pulled just fine with my Fastway E2. Absolutely no sway. I stopped pulling with that vehicle because it was just too much with all of us in there (we have 4 kids). Weights were still in the green but I couldn't keep the engine temps down. I tried everything I could to make it work but eventually I agreed it was just too much.

Eventually, I bought an HD truck. I didn't drop 60k on a truck and instead purchased what I could afford and what worked for my family. Folks poke at my choice all the time.. you bought a 6.0 Powerstroke? Those are horrible. Yeah yeah.. I've heard it. However, if properly Bulletproofed things are much different (even the most ardent critics will eventually agree). Truth is if properly configured, those trucks are just as reliable as anything else. So far, I've got 50k on the truck and so far so good. Absolutely no issues.

At the end of the day it's your choice.. feel free to make it. Just don't put down others attempts to assist (for the record, I don't think it was you that was doing this). These forums are great..I think all of us just try and be as helpful as possible. However, sometimes multiple people can look at the same issues and come to different conclusions. Let's all just be respectful of that.

That's all.. I'm out..
Old 01-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #58
Broken Toe

Quote:
Going to a Hensley or Pro-Pride prior to exhausting lower cost options is a waste of money IMHO.

Not if you wad your unit up in a ditch before you get it dialed in on the razors edge of acceptability. If a hitch is so finicky that you have to make sure you have everything loaded just right to get it to pull decently... then I don't want it. I've been there, and got the bite marks in the seat as proof.

Not that I would, but I could blow my tongue weight into negative numbers, load everything on one side of the camper, run P-tires on my truck, AND pull thru a windstorm and I know for a fact my trailer will obediently follow my truck, straight and true like a well trained puppy. It won't sway because it simply physically can't sway.

That's worth $3000 to me any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Your mileage will most certainly vary.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:48 AM   #59
I'm Lost

Bitten

Quote:
Not if you wad your unit up in a ditch before you get it dialed in on the razors edge of acceptability. If a hitch is so finicky that you have to make sure you have everything loaded just right to get it to pull decently... then I don't want it. I've been there, and got the bite marks in the seat as proof.

Not that I would, but I could blow my tongue weight into negative numbers, load everything on one side of the camper, run P-tires on my truck, AND pull thru a windstorm and I know for a fact my trailer will obediently follow my truck, straight and true like a well trained puppy. It won't sway because it simply physically can't sway.

That's worth $3000 to me any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Your mileage will most certainly vary.

Tim

Hmm, we have a very well trained puppy, she is the free running greeter at our resort, every so often she gets a FRAP (frenetic random activity period) and goes hyper and I do have the bites on me arse to prove it!

As for your WDH being on a razors edge of adjustment, well, I've towed TTs with every thing from a Pinto sw to 3/4T Super Duty and never had a WDH that touchy, rarely had to make any adjustments once dialed in either. Towing with my bike (tent and canoe trailers) I've had no issues once the weight was properly distributed so tongue weight was right.

The only time I had to regularly make adjustments to the WDH chains was whether I was towing my boat or sled trailer or not behind my old 29 footer, again both towed behind my 99 F250 with no issues. (Our 2013 35' is too long to allow towing doubles)

The avatar photo shows our "angel" being nice for guests on a guest boat cruise last October, she's waiting for you to let your guard down!

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #60

Quote:

Tim
Thanks for the reminder of pending doom.

Can't spend a couple of hundred bucks on some better rated tires but will willingly spend 3k on a hitch.. makes sense to me. I'm sure there absolutely no danger of those overworked P-Rated tires going boom!

I've seen some really good While E. Coyote cartoons in the past.. this conversation reminds me of one of those.

Tags
equalizer, hensley