Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

High profile TT tow problems

Recently we noticed a little sway in the front end while towing our TT. We are well under the weight limit but this problem reminders me of the problems when their is too much weight in the back of the TV, which brings the front end up enough to cause a little sway problem! I was thinking that I should add some air bags to the rear springs! Would this solve my problem?
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #2

Are you using a weight distrubition hitch with intergrated sway control? That would be the first thing I tried.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Yes, using both. This is a new trailer and a little more weight than I am used to. It seems to tow ok, but for this little problem.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

High profile TT tow problems

What is the measurement of your front wheel well to the ground with the trailer and WDH and without the trailer. They should be about the same. If the height is higher with the trailer and WDH hooked up you need more tension on your WDH bars.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsails View Post
Recently we noticed a little sway in the front end while towing our TT. We are well under the weight limit but this problem reminders me of the problems when their is too much weight in the back of the TV, which brings the front end up enough to cause a little sway problem! I was thinking that I should add some air bags to the rear springs! Would this solve my problem?
First, when you say "sway", are you referring to the trailer swinging back and forth or is it that you feel like the front end of the truck is "floating" some?

Second, if the truck is light up front, air bags won't solve your problem. All they'll do is lift the rear, which will do little, if anything, to counter the lifting of your front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
What is the measurement of your front wheel well to the ground with the trailer and WDH and without the trailer. They should be about the same. If the height is higher with the trailer and WDH hooked up you need more tension on your WDH bars.
X2
Old 05-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsails View Post
I agree with others in that you should be sure that you are maximizing the WDH and sway control you have. I do this by measuring the front end height before and after hooking up, and true, weighing is better. I have weighed and the correlation of that measurement to weight on the front end. I can get all the weight back up there with my new Andersen.

Be sure your TV is not overweight.

Much of the sway I experience, which is not that bad now, but has to be due to the huge wall surfaces and the long length from axles to rear of trailer... mine is a toyhauler.

What I am dealing myself is incredible porpoising due to high weight and rough roads. I just ordered a set of Timbrens and Bilstein shocks. I also took an inventory and eliminated unnecessary weight. With my high tongue weight, and carrying things in the bed of the truck I was right at the GVWR on the truck.

Good luck figuring this out,
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice! I think I need to understand the potential of the torsion bars. Before I was adjusting the chain links to 3 links and with the new trailer, I was trying to go an extra chain length but gave up. I need to figure out how to lesion the pressure enough to adjust the links to 4.!?!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #8

To get that extra link hooked up either back the truck up on some blocks (I have Anderson levelers and use them to raise the back of the truck up) or with the trailer hooked up to the truck lower the tongue jack and raise the back of the truck to put a little angle to your hookup.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

Trailer specs? Tow vehicle?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
with the trailer hooked up to the truck lower the tongue jack and raise the back of the truck to put a little angle to your hookup.
X2 What he said ^^^ Took me a couple of times out to figure out I needed 3 links and not the two that I could get without using the jack trick.

If you have any leeway at all loading your trailer, adding a little bit of weight to the front of the TT or shifting weight from back further forward may also help. Get the weight on the tongue for easier towing.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:13 AM   #11

If you're not raising the rear of the truck/SUV up before you're snapping the chains then you're not getting much tension on them. On our previous TT I had to raise the rear of the truck when hitched about 5-6" to get the links I needed. That and the fact that I had 6 washers in the WD head made the bar ends really tilt down.
You need to study the proper way to hitch up a TT to understand how the WD works.
You may need to add washers as well as links.
Also are you using a WD with built in sway control? You should, it'll make towing much nicer.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #12

If you changed trailers or tow vehicle, I would suggest getting WDH set up accordingly to your current configuration.