Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
Newbie- 21 FBRS

Hitch adjustment while stuck at home

So I have traded trucks, and figured I would check out my hitch as configured by my dealer. I watched all the YouTube videos I could find from Fastway and e-trailer. I went out and took measurements and realized two critical things: the front end of my truck was a half inch higher with the distribution bars in place, so I need to add a washer to get the front end back to starting point, 2) my driver side frame bracket was 28.5” back from the hitch and not at all level, the passenger side was only 27” . I wondered why I could always put on the passenger side bar easier. Two guys put this hitch on at the dealership and I had not checked their work. Torque was off as well. Shame on me. Now the trailer is perfectly level and weight properly distributed and even. I also Learned a lot in the process!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8EF5D84-C8BD-4639-87AE-5DA80301FF86.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	227199  
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #2

Read the instructions again. You measure the front fender height. Then you attach trailer and measure again without WDh bars. You want the WDH to bring it half way between those two measurements.

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/F...ers-Manual.pdf
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
Newbie- 21 FBRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Read the instructions again. You measure the front fender height. Then you attach trailer and measure again without WDh bars. You want the WDH to bring it half way between those two measurements.

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/F...ers-Manual.pdf
I read it very carefully and followed the instructions as written. It actually says “at least halfway”. Their videos from the manufacturer state ideal adjustment is to return the front fender to original measurement. That is what I did. Ideal is better that the minimum standard for me.
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch