Old 03-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #1

Hitch Ball Height ?

I’m looking at the new hitches and have a general question….The three hitches I am looking at are the Blue Ox, Equalizer and the Husky Centerline TS. I have been using an Eazlift WTD with a friction sway with 5.5 to 6 inch drop on the shank so when I started doing some research on these hitches I have seen mixed information about adding an inch or so to my hitch ball height measurement to allow for the tongue weight of the trailer this will determine the drop I need on the shank.

My previous TT had about a 700lb tongue weight my current TT is at 1068lb on my current setup I never made the adjustment and have no issues I have always towed with a ¾ ton truck……….So I guess my question is do I need a 4.5 to 5inch drop shank to allow the one inch allowance ? Can I use the washers on the Equalizer, Husky to adjust it if I need to ? The Blue OX has no hitch head adjustment.

How is everyone setting up their hitches are you allowing the one inch or so increase in hitch ball height when setting up your hitch ?
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

Normally I add an inch to the ball height to begin with. Under normal conditions, the truck WILL drop a little, which is why they're a little high in the back to begin with...to ride levelly when loaded down. 700 lbs on a 3/4 ton and you may not even notice (and may not have even needed a WDH). I pull your trailer and set mine a little high, but I'm using a 1/2 ton. If I were pulling it with a 3/4, I'd hook up without bars engaged and measure the drop. If it was less than 1.5", I'd set the ball even. More than that and I'd put the ball an inch higher.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #3

Ejs,

I have a similar TT/TV setup to your previous. Trying to figure out which shank to get for an Equal-i-zer. What receiver and tongue height measurements did you have to calculate your drop shank? I'd like to think I could get away with the 6" shank instead of the 9" so I don't have a useless 2-3" hanging down to drag. Thanks.

Rockwood 2509S
Charles in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in TN View Post
Ejs,

I have a similar TT/TV setup to your previous. Trying to figure out which shank to get for an Equal-i-zer. What receiver and tongue height measurements did you have to calculate your drop shank? I'd like to think I could get away with the 6" shank instead of the 9" so I don't have a useless 2-3" hanging down to drag. Thanks.
Charles, It's 25" to the top of my hitch receiver and 22" to the top inside of the hitch ball with the trailer sitting level.

I bought a Husky Center Line TS Hitch on rvautoparts.com for $211.54 model #33039 it's for 1K to 1.4K tongue weight

I also ordered a Husky Shank model #32554 it for the 2.5" hitch receiver and can do a 5 1/8 drop with the Centerline hitch it was only $47.78 and the shipping was only $16.95 for both items. The only problem is the shank is backordered and won't ship for about 4 weeks which was ok with me.

So for $276.27 I thought that was a great deal....The best price I could find on an Equalizer shank that would have work for me with the 2.5" receiver opening would have been model #EQ90-02-4900 that's around $150

The shank I'm currently using is an Eazlift extra drop that could do 9" of drop I had a welding shop cut off the approx 3" that I didn't need off the bottom. I would have kept that but it's for a 2" receiver and I wanted to get a 2.5"
TST 507 TPMS
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

That mirrors what I have at 23.25 to the 2" receiver and about 20.5 on the tongue. Did you end up actually needing part of the 9" drop or just bought it to be on the safe side? Every maker seems to have a different ball mount. My thought so far is to go for the 6" shank. It shouldn't make too much difference if I'm an inch high unless I can't preload the arms properly. I'll have bed cargo to help squat the bed a little too.

Rockwood 2509S
Old 03-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in TN View Post
That mirrors what I have at 23.25 to the 2" receiver and about 20.5 on the tongue. Did you end up actually needing part of the 9" drop or just bought it to be on the safe side? Every maker seems to have a different ball mount. My thought so far is to go for the 6" shank. It shouldn't make too much difference if I'm an inch high unless I can't preload the arms properly. I'll have bed cargo to help squat the bed a little too.
Charles, No I never needed part of the 9" drop I bought the shank when I had my Chevy 2500HD with a 6" lift kit and 35" tires with with the new RAM 2500 there was never any need for it so I cut it down.

I would think that you would be good to go on the 6" drop hitch. I think I remember you saying you had Equalizer hitch if so you could always add some washers to the hitch head to lower it if you need to and make some adjustments on the brackets if you had to.
TST 507 TPMS
Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #7

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I’m looking at the new hitches and have a general question….The three hitches I am looking at are the Blue Ox, Equalizer and the Husky Centerline TS.

I reviewed various hitch assemblies . A contributor to ramforumz.com suggested the ANDERSEN HITCH . Checked the info on their website . All necessary information for adjustments etc is clearly listed .
Purchased the applicable unit for my new TT ; waiting for delivery of both and will report back .
johnnyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #8

We're still more than a month from taking delivery according to the dealer. I'll have most of the accessories and needed things purchased by then. Went ahead and sprang for the 6" shank.

Rockwood 2509S

Tags
hitch