Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

Hitch Hauler Question

I've got a 2009 Lexington and would like to put my motorcycle (~500 lbs) on a hitch hauler. Besides upgrading to a hitch that will take that sort of tongue weight, are there any concerns I should have? I already have Firestone bags installed. Thanks,
Dan
VanderDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #2

Funny you ask, I was just reading the reviews on Cabela's website about the "hitch hauler" brand, mixed reviews, most negative reviews are focused on poor strength due to the design, it is shipped in two sections and bolts together in the middle above the towbar, obviously in my opinion that split is destined for problems.

Looks to me like I could actually have one custom built for around $200-250 which could be welded without loosing tensil strength across the length. Around these parts, most everyone knows someone who has welding skills and it could probably be built with materials for aroud $60 bucks. (I am comparing the actual hitch hauler square frame)

When I read the reviews, I look strongly at the scores of 3/5, most of these are based on opinions that have knowledge of good and bad. Scores of 5/5 tend to be nauive, 1/5 or 2/5usually are venting frustrations rather than a valid review.

Best bet, decide what feature you like, then look for a local metal fabrication shop and get an estimate.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

How are you going to load the bike? I can see hauling a 200 pound dirt bike, but a 500 pound street bike? You better be strong, because you're not going to ride it up there. Also if you have a fairing or saddle bags, check for clearance of these at the back of the Lexington. Last thought, is the bike going to cover the tail lights? Not good. Could probably pick up a motorcycle trailer for what you are going to spend on a new hitch and the hitch hauler. Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote