Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #1

Hitch Issues

Hello all, we are having a hitch issue that maybe someone can give a little advice.
We just purchased a 2018 Wildcat T311RKS. our tow vehicle is a 2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7 with tow package. unloaded weight of trailer is 6850 lbs we added a 2nd AC so i am not sure what that increased weight Guessing about 75 lbs, we had about 150 lbs in front compartment. using a 12000Lb Equalizer weigh distribution hitch. All hooked up by dealer for us.

Truck and trailer sit nice and level. We left Tampa with full tank of gas. Truck id well on highway at 60-65. No noises . Stopped in Daytona for gas, filled up tank
while leaving gas station a very loud noise coming from hitch, sounded like something digging into concrete, people were looking at us and asking it we were ok, I understand a new weight distribution hitch makes noise but this was crazy, also noise continued when straight but eventually stopped. We drove to race track a couple miles away with the noise coming and going.

When i unhooked trailer, i saw ball was really chewed up at top about 3/4 way around, receiver was also quite scratched up. Not sure what is going on, new to RV towing, very mechanical person but not sure about how distribution hitch works exactly. would like to hear any thoughts that may be causing issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch ball.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	162286   Click image for larger version

Name:	receiver hitch.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	162287  
fairpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #2

Im gonna say its something on the trailer receiver. That shouldn't happen at all, its a socket thats meant to pivot. Send pics to the dealer.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #3

Stop TOWING asap and go to an RV dealer or repair shop to get this looked at. Please consider having the trailer taken by a towing company, maybe flat decked. Let us knowing what the shop says.
calgarycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

Looks like you have an Equal-I-zer hitch and the friction points are finally doing their thing. Those hitches are quite noisy when turning at lower speeds.

Try greasing the ball to reduce wear, it is a pivot point and wear does happen.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #5

Make sure that the clamp on the trailer is properly adjusted. Not too tight, not too loose - just a small amount of play. Videos on youtube.

Don't trust the dealer set-up of the WD system. Constant complaints on RV forums about them being way off. Check it carefully yourself, or have another dealer check it. Youtube videos on this also.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #6

Dumb question but what size is the hitch ball? I can't read it in the picture with my old eyes.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarycampers View Post
Dumb question but what size is the hitch ball? I can't read it in the picture with my old eyes.

It’s 2-5/16” based on the pic.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #8

Never have seen a ball and hitch grind like that.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarycampers View Post
Never have seen a ball and hitch grind like that.

I have a newer ball that looks almost identical, cheap plating flaking off and grinding things up. Not even a WD hitch ball at that.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #10

My uneducated guess from a million miles away is that a piece of metal got trapped inside the coupler (during manufacturing?), painted over and missed during inspection. It dislodged when you pulled into the gas station and got wedged between the ball and the coupler, your wdh then did a good job turning the two parts into a millstone eventually chewing that piece of metal up.
It's a new trailer, try to get your dealer to replace both the ball and the coupler under warranty. At the same time make sure there is not something else totally different going on, my dad used to say "I've seen horses puke".
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #11

They will do that with no grease on them, get yourself some lithium works grease, a medium to high temp works great, I would replace the ball now and use grease, if you don't replace the ball it will keep grinding away at the hitch coupler. I am surprised the dealer (tech) let you hook up with no grease on the ball. You don't need a lot, Use a plastic bag to cover it when you are out camping to protect your clothes from grease.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #12

You've got more wrong there than a lack of grease or improper adjustment. Get it checked by a pro asap.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
You've got more wrong there than a lack of grease or improper adjustment. Get it checked by a pro asap.
No he doesn't, an ungreased hitch will tear it self apart, you have metal on metal, guess what happens with metal on metal and no lubricant, it will tear it self apart.

The bad part is he may have damaged his hitch coupler and may need to get it replaced. Never ever pull a trailer with out having grease on the ball.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #14

To the OP google "should I grease my hitch ball" and see what comes up.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
No he doesn't, an ungreased hitch will tear it self apart, you have metal on metal, guess what happens with metal on metal and no lubricant, it will tear it self apart.

The bad part is he may have damaged his hitch coupler and may need to get it replaced. Never ever pull a trailer with out having grease on the ball.
I have NEVER greased a ball and never had anything like this happen.......... personally I think it is the wrong ball. It looks like a cheap one even though it is rated at 10,000 lbs. Also are we 100% that it is a 2 5/16" or is it a 2"

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #16

I am having looked at by a hitch dealer all they do is hitches. I am suprised also that the dealer did no grease this. I ran my finger around in the receiver looking for a rough spot that could cause this and found nothing. I have to move it about five miles to hitch dealer I am concerned about the receiver being so scratched up or gouged. It is welded on so its not as easy as just replace it. I will be replacing ball and greasing entire WD and ball
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I have NEVER greased a ball and never had anything like this happen.......... personally I think it is the wrong ball. It looks like a cheap one even though it is rated at 10,000 lbs. Also are we 100% that it is a 2 5/16" or is it a 2"

Yes, it’s a 2-5/16”.

Name:   IMG_3952.JPG
Views: 807
Size:  25.1 KB
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #18

Yes it is a 2 5/16 and the brand was Curt
Old 02-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

That doesn't mean he didn't, personally I think you have gotten lucky, I too have pulled trailers with no grease and when I unhitched the chrome on the ball was tore up, that us why I grease everything, just a light a coat will work wonders.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #20

You are doing the right thing by taking it to a hitch shop. Greasing is not a bad thing its good, but lack of grease did not cause this you have something else going on.

Good Luck !!!! By the way please let us know what you find out it may help someone else.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch