Old 08-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #1

Hitch pin

Just got off the highway in Arkansas with a very lucky break. Travelling through the Ozarks when my hitch came off diggigin a nice groove in the asphalt near Jean Petit State Park. The safety chains and trailer brakes worked great, kept me from some serious damage. Travel trailer is a FR Vibe, truck 2500 Chevy, hitch an equalizer load distribution with sway control. Only thing I can think of is that the wire keeper on the end of the main pin of the hitch came out due to vibration or road bounce. My power toung jack was damaged so I had to manually jack the toung up to reinstall the hitch. I was lucky enough to get a pin from a fellow traveller that stopped to help. Never thought this would happen, have a new respect for hitch pin locking devices now.

denisgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #2

Glad to hear your damage was relatively minor and no one got hurt!

Question on your hitch pin - was it the type where the locking spring in in a groove on the end of the pin or one that goes thru a hole in the pin?

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #3

It was the type with a hole on the end of the pin. The keeper was a wire pin like a cotter pin.
denisgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

Hitch pin

Last year my son and I went on a trip to the desert with our toy hauler. I have always used a locking hitch pin. Well when we arrived the locking part was gone and somehow the pin didnít come out. That scared me so I switched to a pin with a cotter pin type and always push it all the way in past the normal spot. But after reading your post Iím still a little nervous.

My brother just bought one of these off of amazon. I wonder if itís itís any safer? It has a pin and a lock. I may get one now too. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	213284
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #5

I've been using a locking pin sold under the Valley name for over 20 years. It's important to make sure the lock assy is fully seated in the end of the pin. I pull key out and push on, making sure I hear the locking "snap" and than check to make sure it's secure. A little WD-40 from time to time keeps it all working.

I know that with locks I've sometimes been in a hurry and found that padlocks have just snapped back open unless I close them firmly. Most, if not all, locking hitch pins work similar to padlocks so I double check.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Never noticed the one my son uses till the other day. Has key lock, but first the key part has to be threaded on and seated all the way before it will lock. Not sure of the brand.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
Sham183

This is what I use and works good. Keep a few on hand as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1924.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	213289
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:21 PM   #8

I use a bolt and lock nut. I don't remove my hitch until I return home.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #9
Camper

I use locking hitch pins, both in the receiver of the TV and on the latch for the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2847DAT.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	213376  

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Never noticed the one my son uses till the other day. Has key lock, but first the key part has to be threaded on and seated all the way before it will lock. Not sure of the brand.
I have that also. Screws on with the key in it, locks when seated. Can't unscrew it without the key in it. Can't find it online, but never worry about it coming undone, or being stolen.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch