Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #21

TitanMike - Thank you. I have seen that kind of recommendation on proper towing instructions and it's important to remember.

I was just wondering where one would find this recommendation that AirDale describes as "mandatory". I can't find it in any of the literature that came with our TT or on the Forest River site. If it's mandatory, there must be a list somewhere, no?
wannabeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeowner View Post
TitanMike - Thank you. I have seen that kind of recommendation on proper towing instructions and it's important to remember.

I was just wondering where one would find this recommendation that AirDale describes as "mandatory". I can't find it in any of the literature that came with our TT or on the Forest River site. If it's mandatory, there must be a list somewhere, no?
I never worried about whether it was mandatory or not. There's two kinds of "law", the ones given us by regulatory powers and the laws of common sense. When in doubt I tend to follow the latter.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #23

I actually made a tongue scale out of a 4x4 and a bathroom scale. Just a word of caution, this thing is really sensitive to 'level'. Both the TT front/back, and the 4x4 side to side. I always weigh myself before i weigh the trailer. So far I've weighed 280lbs (before leveling 4x4), 200lbs and 240lbs (actual is 215, but I'm trying to lose weight).
Happy Camping.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
I actually made a tongue scale out of a 4x4 and a bathroom scale. Just a word of caution, this thing is really sensitive to 'level'. Both the TT front/back, and the 4x4 side to side. I always weigh myself before i weigh the trailer. So far I've weighed 280lbs (before leveling 4x4), 200lbs and 240lbs (actual is 215, but I'm trying to lose weight).
Happy Camping.
😀😀
Scales like that can be quite accurate as long as measurements on the 4x4 are accurate and contact points are focused. The instructions I saw once suggested pieces of electrical conduit on scale, support block, and even under jack foot. This keeps weight and support points focused.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight