Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #1

Hitch weight question

Hey guys, I have 203 slc toy hauler, the brochure says it has 661 lbs hitch weight dry and weighs 4990 lbs. well mine weighs 5200 dry( due to apliances etc. but I just weight my hitch today with a tongue scale and it showed me 950 lbs. why is there such a big difference between the brochure weight and the actual weight?
Deryll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryll1 View Post
Hey guys, I have 203 slc toy hauler, the brochure says it has 661 lbs hitch weight dry and weighs 4990 lbs. well mine weighs 5200 dry( due to apliances etc. but I just weight my hitch today with a tongue scale and it showed me 950 lbs. why is there such a big difference between the brochure weight and the actual weight?
The weights in the brochure are without options like you indicate. The increased tongue is also higher because of options in the unit and the addition of the battery and full propane tanks.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Team

that's why we always recommend NOT to go by "dry" weights, they are fictional.
no trailer weighs its "dry" weight nor its "dry" tongue weight when it leaves the factory.
those are numbers just to draw customers in, with under-capable tow vehicles.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #4

Wow, I didn't know that this would make such a big difference. Guess loading up right (some weight towards back)will help getting the number to the 12% of the total weight on the hitch what everybody recommends.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
that's why we always recommend NOT to go by "dry" weights, they are fictional.
no trailer weighs its "dry" weight nor its "dry" tongue weight when it leaves the factory.
those are numbers just to draw customers in, with under-capable tow vehicles.
I know, it's a scam, lol. But at least here in Cali they have to weigh the unit before selling it, that's why mine is 5200 instead of 4990.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryll1 View Post
Guess loading up right (some weight towards back)will help getting the number to the 12% of the total weight on the hitch what everybody recommends.
Don't think that would be an issue with a toyhauler...don't know what you're to do when towing with nothing in the garage.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Don't think that would be an issue with a toyhauler...don't know what you're to do when towing with nothing in the garage.

Dave
Yes, I have 1 atv above the axle and 1 behind with 400 lbs each. So it will bring the hitch weight down. With nothing in there I am at the limit on my truck with the equalizer hitch....
Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

remember that when your wdh is properly adjusted approx 20% of the tongue weight is transferred back to the trailer so 80% of the weight will be on your vehicle. Not the way to shop but helpful knowledge once you've bought and find you are in a tough spot on weight. Also, don't off load too much weight to the rear as a low tongue weight can result in a sway condition. A good rule of thumb is to have tongue weight of 13-15% of the loaded weight of the TT (not the drive it off the lot weight).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
remember that when your wdh is properly adjusted approx 20% of the tongue weight is transferred back to the trailer so 80% of the weight will be on your vehicle. Not the way to shop but helpful knowledge once you've bought and find you are in a tough spot on weight. Also, don't off load too much weight to the rear as a low tongue weight can result in a sway condition. A good rule of thumb is to have tongue weight of 13-15% of the loaded weight of the TT (not the drive it off the lot weight).
That was a good reply! Thanks, everything is helpful for me as a newbie ;-). I have a sway control as well, but I will keep my eye on the 13-15% ;-). I am glad I bought the scale, makes it easier to figure out the numbers.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

make sure you go to a scale (ie cat scale) and weigh your set up. Weigh your truck by itself loaded and ready to tow with all passengers, pets and gear you will have in it when towing plus full tank of fuel. Then weigh truck (same as above) plus TT loaded ready to camp. when weighing just the truck, weigh front and rear axles separately. When weighing truck plus trailer, put TV front axle on first pad, TV rear axle on second pad, and both trailer axles on third pad. These numbers will tell you everything you need to know. It will tell you if you are over on gvwr, gcwr, rawr. It will also tell you how much weight your wdh is shifting for you to your front axles. You want the front axle as close to unloaded weight as possible without going heavier.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
I always wondered this. Makes sense of course but never knew the numbers. Nice to know.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #12

A weight distribution with anti sway control hitch, and or adjustable height air bags in your truck rear suspension, and or changing your hitch ball mount to raise the hitch height will shift the weight more on to the trailer.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #13

This is a lot talked about discussion. But it's always good to read about it and get some people with experiences. There is no dumb question in order to stay safe. So thanks to everybody replying, hope stuff like that helps others too here ;-)