Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #1

Hitch Weight-Stupid Question of the Day

Hey Guys,
I have a dumb question for you. Can you safely exceed the recommended maximum hitch (tongue) weight of your tow vehicle by using a weight distribution hitch for your TT as long as you don't exceed the tow vehicle GVWR or maximum towing weight?
I find several TTs that I could tow as far as total towing weight, but loaded (assumming that the tongue weight ratio stays about the same) may be too much tongue weight. Hopefully this makes sense. I had rather expose myself as a moron and get an honest answer from you guys than depend on a Trailer salesman to give me a straight answer.
Thanks.

cliff
grittyoctopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #2

From what I have read on this subject, I would have to say a big NO. I'm sure some may disagree, but the weight distribution hitch is only meant to distribute the load on the rear axle to the share it with the front axle of the tow vehicle as well as the axles of the trailer. Hitch weight is hitch weight. If you have 700 pounds of weight on the ball before you apply the distribution bars, you will have 700 pounds of weight on the ball after you apply the bars too.

I actually found a really good thread on "the other forum". (rv.net) Here is the link if you are interested. It really gets into the actual physics of how a weight distribution hitch works. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/14265335.cfm

Hope it helps.

Brian
bricole1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 AM   #3

I'm going with Brian on this and say NO as well.

I've pulled a flatbed with too much tongue weight before. It wasn't pretty nor fun. Took me a looooong time to get where I was going.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Cliff, Your hitch should have two ratings (though not all do). One for WC (weight carrying) and one for WD (weight distribution) setups. My class 4 is rated for WC 6000 lbs towing, 600 lbs TW. It's also rated for WD 12000 lbs towing, 1200 lbs TW.

If you're talking about exceeding the WD TW rating. I'm going to chime in with the rest. NO!

Let us know what your TV is and we may be able make suggestions to help a little.

I made this post just to make you aware that your hitch may have two different ratings in case you weren't.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #5

My TV is a 2006 LWB Toyota Tacoma. It is rated to tow 6500# with hitch weight of 650#. I haven't been able to find a second hitch weight for using weight distribution.
There are a number of lightweight trailers out there in the range of 3500-4500# with a hitch weight of 400-600 #.
What I do is calculate the % of total weight that the hitch weight represents for the dry weight of the TT and then calculate the hitch weight (same %) assuming a 1500# load in the TT. Granted this is an inexact science, but I don't know a better way. (I hope this makes sense) Anyway when you calculate a loaded trailer it often takes the theoretical hitch weight over the rated hitch weight. For some TT's it is only a few pounds, but for others it may be 200# or more above the rated hitch weight. If there is a flaw in my thinking, let me know.
I have had several RV salesmen tell me that this wouldn't be a problem, but I have also had several tell me that I could tow a 7500# trailer with no problem. So I take anything they tell me with a grain of salt.
I am confident that I can get good advice in this forum from knowledgeable people who have been there and done that.
So any input is appreciated.

cliff
grittyoctopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #6

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but according to Toyota and the 2006 tow vehicle guide. the MAX a Tacoma (with tow package) could tow is 6500 pounds. I would assume that would be with a WD hitch.

When I was looking for a TT my wife found this site http://www.rvtowingtips.com/what-can-i-tow.htm
and it was a real eye opener for us. What we thought we could tow was not the same as what we could tow. Of course it is only guide lines but we have followed them and have been very happy campers, pun intended, with our vehicle/TT combo. If you look at the bottom of the page, you will find a link to a weight calculator (it's an Excel spreadsheet) that should help you out.

Brian
bricole1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Unfortunately I went to Tacomaworld and they say the same thing. 650lbs is the max TW.

I guess it's time for that new dually.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittyoctopi View Post
My TV is a 2006 LWB Toyota Tacoma. It is rated to tow 6500# with hitch weight of 650#. I haven't been able to find a second hitch weight for using weight distribution.
Those figures are interesting. My F150 is rated to tow 9300 lbs, but the hitch is only rated for 500 lbs. of weight carrying tongue weight, with a weight distributing tongue weight of 990 lbs. allowed, which would allow for a little over the 10% tongue weight on the maximum 9300 lb trailer. That is a really heavy duty setup for a Taco.

Chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote