Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
CJM

Hitches

What do people think of the B&W fifth wheel hitches? I have ordered an 18k B&W Patriot slider. . Hope it is worth it
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

I have the B&W companion slider hitch, and I think it's great. I like that you can pull it out of the truck and have full use of the bed. It doesn't pull out of the gooseneck hitch as well as I would like. I have to use a crowbar. But I am very happy with it. Longest trip was 850 miles and only stopping for gas and no issues towed great.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
GLCM Warrior

We have the B&W 20k Companion 5th wheel hitch (not the slider version) and have been extremely pleased with the hitch...other than the Ford dealer's mediocre installation job of the Turnover Ball (under bed) part of the hitch.

Hooking & unhooking has never been a problem. Chucking has been minimal during all of the towing we've done (~5k so far) and having the ability to remove the hitch completely from the pickup bed is a big plus.

The hitch is rather heavy though & I usually have to find help to safely get it to the ground. Someday, we will purchase a truck crane (MaxxTow Hydraulic Pickup Truck Crane for 2" Hitches - 1,000 lbs MaxxTow Truck Bed Accessories MT70238) & that problem will be solved.

B&W customer service has been good both times I contacted them...once by phone & once by email.

We're very happy with our B&W hitch and would certainly recommend it to others.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 AM   #4

My second hitch is the B&W companion. First was a 16K Reese for the old rails setup, and had to move up for a new camper. The ease of the B&W hookup is wonderful. Pull 2 pins and the head comes off to split the weight.. Also the Companion series can be setup from 4 inches in front of the axle to 4 inches behind the axle by which holes you use in the uprights! Mine is dead over the axle, because I have no need to put weight on the front tires from the camper, diesel front end is already 5220 lbs with and without the camper! I THINK that all their line has that flexibility, but check the fine print on the individual hitch series.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
CJM

Thanks guys. Much appreciated
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
We have the B&W 20k Companion 5th wheel hitch (not the slider version) and have been extremely pleased with the hitch...other than the Ford dealer's mediocre installation job of the Turnover Ball (under bed) part of the hitch.

Hooking & unhooking has never been a problem. Chucking has been minimal during all of the towing we've done (~5k so far) and having the ability to remove the hitch completely from the pickup bed is a big plus.

We're very happy with our B&W hitch and would certainly recommend it to others.
I have been eyeing and thinking about purchasing this hitch. Did you install it yourself? What kind of pinbox are you using? I was thinking about an airborne. My current setup is a gooseneck adapter.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #7
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
I have been eyeing and thinking about purchasing this hitch. Did you install it yourself? What kind of pinbox are you using? I was thinking about an airborne. My current setup is a gooseneck adapter.
I had Ford do the install as part of the deal when we bought our F-350. They didn't do such a bang up job the first time though...so I had to take it back and have them fix some of the bolt/washer placements.

Our pin box is the factory installed Mor/Ryde SPB72-1621LD.

I too have thought about the Airborne pin box but so far can't justify the purchase as we have been happy with how it rides/tows so far.

Safe travels.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch