Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

Hitching on a Sloped Driveway

I have a 2019 Grand Design Reflection 295RL 5th Wheel and a 2019 Ford F250 6.7 Turbo Diesel with 6-3/4 bed. I also have a B&W Companion - BWRVK3300 Hitch.
Today for the first time I tried to park my RV in my driveway and the hitch jaws wouldn’t open and release the king pin. I live a sub division and I have a sloped driveway. My truck pretty much straight with the 5er. I am able to hitch/unhitch on a flat surface. Research prior to purchase from various forums indicated that this would not be a problem, however after my attempt today it appears that it is a problem. Does anyone with a similar situation (sloped driveway) able to hitch/unhitch successfully?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #2

I have a sloped driveway and the b & W hitch. Sometimes I have had it get in a bind and I just need to pull the truck forward or backwards a hair and it will release.

2016 Nights camped in wildcat(14) didn't count previous trailer
2017 Nights camped (44)
2018 Nights camped (29) that's too low. Must work on it.
maskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
I have a 2019 Grand Design Reflection 295RL 5th Wheel and a 2019 Ford F250 6.7 Turbo Diesel with 6-3/4 bed. I also have a B&W Companion - BWRVK3300 Hitch.
Today for the first time I tried to park my RV in my driveway and the hitch jaws wouldn’t open and release the king pin. I live a sub division and I have a sloped driveway. My truck pretty much straight with the 5er. I am able to hitch/unhitch on a flat surface. Research prior to purchase from various forums indicated that this would not be a problem, however after my attempt today it appears that it is a problem. Does anyone with a similar situation (sloped driveway) able to hitch/unhitch successfully?
My neighbor sits on a pretty sloped drive. I've never seen him have a problem with it. Not sure what hitch he has, but it's a 2007 Montana on a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #4

Wanted to add the slop is not that bad, the Clinometer app shows the slop is about 4 degree. The driveway length is 38' and the house sits 2' higher that street.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Presumably, your driveway slopes down toward the street, so as you are backing in, you are backing up hill. the kingpin is all the way toward the front (closed side) of the jaws. Try this: back your trailer in where you want it, and block the wheels. Then, let your truck roll slightly forward (down hill) so that your hitch and the kingpin aren't jammed up against one another and in a bind. That should allow the jaws to release a little easier.

Good luck.

Mike

BTW, not that we don't love you, or want to help when any RVer has a problem, but why are you asking a question about your Grand Design on a Forest River forum? Doesn't Grand Design have a forum similar to this one?

Anyway, hope this helps.

Happy holidays to you!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #6

I drove semi for many years and it sounds like you have forward pressure on the pin. Try setting the trailer brakes and gently back up a bit to relieve the pressure. Then put TV in park and try to pull the handle. Hope this helps I know it works on the big ones.
Daves rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Presumably, your driveway slopes down toward the street, so as you are backing in, you are backing up hill. the kingpin is all the way toward the front (closed side) of the jaws. Try this: back your trailer in where you want it, and block the wheels. Then, let your truck roll slightly forward (down hill) so that your hitch and the kingpin aren't jammed up against one another and in a bind. That should allow the jaws to release a little easier.

Good luck.

Mike

BTW, not that we don't love you, or want to help when any RVer has a problem, but why are you asking a question about your Grand Design on a Forest River forum? Doesn't Grand Design have a forum similar to this one?

Anyway, hope this helps.

Happy holidays to you!
Thanks.
I have posted this issue on the GD forum as well. I just upgraded from FR to GD and the issue is not a GD specific. This is hitching/unhitching issue. I am sure the problem is the operator. Just trying to see what others are recommending.
Happy Holiday to you back.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #8

Well, I did it. I was able to release the kin pin from the jaws. You guys were correct as usual. Thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV in Driveway.jpg
Views:	3224
Size:	784.1 KB
ID:	192821  
Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Block the rear wheels on the try both sides then back up til until u feel resistance on the rig ,lock up the brakes on you tv . That should provide a slack in the pin to pull it it make a couple of times til you find the sweet spot. When hooking up use you brake controller all the way up to stop the try from moving hit it you’ll hear the jaws lock. Good luck
thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #10

My driveway slopes downhill from street
Old 12-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
Site Team

There are plenty of SOB* owners here. Might even be one or two on the site team.

*Some Other Brand
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Well, I did it. I was able to release the kin pin from the jaws. You guys were correct as usual. Thank you all.
Nice looking rig. Must be a PITA to back in to your drive off the narrow street. However, having your 5er blocking the sidewalk would make for some annoyed neighbors.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoremilly View Post
My driveway slopes downhill from street
My driveway is opposite however my drop is 22” in 30 feet.your driveway is really nothing to worry about. Maybe just raise the pin back the tv under it then lower down on the plate. Drop it where the V starts before the lock. Lock up the try and back under. You need pressure for the jaws
Old 12-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
However, having your 5er blocking the sidewalk would make for some annoyed neighbors.
I would also assume that
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #15

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Nice looking rig. Must be a PITA to back in to your drive off the narrow street. However, having your 5er blocking the sidewalk would make for some annoyed neighbors.
My dw got a ticket for blocking the sidewalk. Years ago and in Michigan.
bcmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #16

We had the same problem at a former house. After we traded up, the RV would stick out over the sidewalk a few inches. We quickly learned while that was okay for a few days, it was not acceptable for long term.

So hopefully the OP is only blocking the sidewalk for loading/unloading.

Otherwise he might do like we did; buy a new house with RV parking
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #17
Aging Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskins View Post
I have a sloped driveway and the b & W hitch. Sometimes I have had it get in a bind and I just need to pull the truck forward or backwards a hair and it will release.

x2
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #18

Use a good pair of the X chocks. Place them before trying to unlatch and then proceed with your routine. Chances are you will have to bump your TV forwards a bit, but the 5th wheel should remain static with the X chocks.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We had the same problem at a former house. After we traded up, the RV would stick out over the sidewalk a few inches. We quickly learned while that was okay for a few days, it was not acceptable for long term.

So hopefully the OP is only blocking the sidewalk for loading/unloading.

Otherwise he might do like we did; buy a new house with RV parking
The RV is only there for 24 hours. We have 48 hours rules in our sub division. Also the sidewalk is not totally blocked people should be able to go around it.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #20

I have a Curt hitch that gives me the same problem once in a while - Bro in law told me to secure the camper with chucks or jack then put the TV in neutral to release the pressure - works every time for me.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch