Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #1

hitching/unhitching

We are new to hauling a FW. This came up yesterday when we got it home. DH put the FW right where I wanted it. But the truck was then not squared on the FW. And we thought but weren't sure if the truck had to be squared on the FW when unhitching........... is that the right word??? Anyway........... raised up the stabilizers and maneuvered the TV & FW til they were straight then unhitched...... just for future reference.......... does it have to be straight??? To either hitch or unhitch??? Thanks in advance!!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #2

It seems that I am always at a slight angle when I unhook. I would not want to be a 90 angle of course, but I do not feel as you have to be straight either. Now as for hooking up I find it easier to back straight in but there have been times a little angle is needed. I guess to really answer your question is no
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #3

You can hitch/unhitch at an angle. Just be aware of the side of the truck bed, and you have to have the camper at the right height to re-hitch. If you are hitching straight, you can push under the king pin a little. If you are hitching from a side position, you will simply push the camper sideways, instead of under the king pin. The other consideration is making sure your tailgate does not hit the camper when lowered.

It can be done, just requires a little more attention to details.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

I prefer as straight as possibleClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4530.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	11496
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

no

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post

I guess to really answer your question is no

best to be kind of straight
but
the above is the right answer --- no
where we park here at home
our rig is un-hooked and re-hooked
on a slight angle
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Just don't forget about the tailgate no matter what your angle is...also make sure you unplug.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #7

As long as you have a conventional hitch any angle is fine. We have hooked and unhooked as much as 90 degrees out for years without issue. Hitches such as the sidewinder and some of the auto sliders almost need to be inline or will be preloaded since they default to strait when unhitched
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

I would think about the frame. Typically its beefed up front to back, but not so much side to side so those hard jolts coming from the side may cause damage over time.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #9

Also the extended pin boxes out these days will act like pivot arms when hitched from the side and put a lot of torque on the point where the box mounts on the trailer.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
Also the extended pin boxes out these days will act like pivot arms when hitched from the side and put a lot of torque on the point where the box mounts on the trailer.

it does not matter at what angle you unhitch from as long as you pull STRAIGHT away .

now hitching from a side angle is a different story.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

The Pullrite hitch, due to its design, has a limit on the approach and departure angle when hitching and unhitching. 16 degrees from either side of center.

I found that my hitching issues were much less when the camper is approximately level with the truck and the height of the pin box slip plate is such that there is about 1/4 inch of "air" between them when the hitch plate is held level with the handle.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
We are new to hauling a FW. This came up yesterday when we got it home. DH put the FW right where I wanted it. But the truck was then not squared on the FW. And we thought but weren't sure if the truck had to be squared on the FW when unhitching........... is that the right word??? Anyway........... raised up the stabilizers and maneuvered the TV & FW til they were straight then unhitched...... just for future reference.......... does it have to be straight??? To either hitch or unhitch??? Thanks in advance!!!!
ES - not sure what brand of hitch you have, but the Husky manual gives a lot of instructions when coupling/uncoupling such as the preferred distance between the hitch plate and the bottom of the trailer 5W king pin before coupling. If you have an owners manual -read it and if you don't, get one and then read it.
As far as the maximun angle you can be at when coupling - I offer this advice - if the king pin is between the opening (wedge shaped) of the hitch plate when you contact the king pin when coupling the king pin should slide into the hitch plate receptable. If it is not then you need to make sure it is. As for uncoupling - if you are at a reasonable angle the king pin should slide out. Once again - read your owners manual as there are probably some instructions and tips for you to make this operation easy.in it

Just remember to raise your rear stabilizer jacks before coupling up.And the posters here offer some good advice also.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
I would think about the frame. Typically its beefed up front to back, but not so much side to side so those hard jolts coming from the side may cause damage over time.
just be smart, you dont have to crash into the pin to hook up.
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #14

Not experienced with FW's but with TT's it doesn't really matter... just do the best you can. For those with WDH's, being at a high angle (<90) can make the hitch bars a little harder to remove.

Just don't do what I once did backing my bass boat into the garage. B/c of the length, I have to back it in at almost a 45 angle which means the boat is going one way and the SUV going the other way... I had the tailgate up (to see better) and while I was watching the boat the tailgate bumped the side of the garage opening... not sure how much it will cost me as I haven't fixed the dent yet.... I've done this a hundred times with no problem but this time didn't the DW wasn't there to say stop..ha!
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote