Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 05:42 AM   #61

See something Then Say something

With all the problems in this world does that expression just apply to our children??? If we think there could be a dangerous situation to ourselves and others shouldn’t we say something but with Love????? Not accusing the person but helping others to be aware that it could be dangerous????

Isn’t this forum for us to learn when we ask a question about things we don’t know? I saw something one time when I was young and didn’t say something because I thought I would get in trouble with the parents. The results!!! A young child drowned in a motel pool. I have to live with that for the rest of my life. Please if you see something SAY SOMETHING. But again do it with love not accusing or making them feel that they should know better.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:50 AM   #62

I've seen people tow like that for at least 40+ years. I've never seen them splatter their trailer all over the highway. Maybe they know something we don't
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #63

May be an entire family of 4, or two couples, sitting in the front of the camper having a snack. Way too many perfect people with doomsday advice on here.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #64

I agree with /alicemerrill should say something for the safety of the owners and safety of all people on the road, this is a very dangerous situation because it doesn’t look like the hitch is going to be level enough that if they hit a big speed bump it may not End up pretty ( say it with love )
mystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #65

The scary thing is he is driving with us on the road. If he wants to kill himself that is OK with me, one less knucklehead amongst us, but do not jeoprdize me and my family on the road. If he would drive something like that, I can only imagine the condition of his tow vehicle such as brakes, tires, steering components, suspension etc. YIKES...
Pop Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #66

I grow so weary of those responses. I've unsubscribed before to avoid them, but am interested in the actual law on per axle weights. Beyond that, tongue weight is good, up to the vehicle limits. Driving sleepy is likely way more dangerous than this guy.
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I grow so weary of those responses. I've unsubscribed before to avoid them, but am interested in the actual law on per axle weights. Beyond that, tongue weight is good, up to the vehicle limits. Driving sleepy is likely way more dangerous than this guy.
Agreed! I'd dread having some of these respondents as a camping neighbor. Even worse would be to have to endure living beside some of them.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Agreed! I'd dread having some of these respondents as a camping neighbor. Even worse would be to have to endure living beside some of them.
Mostly big bad internet talk, I'd imagine, but still. If we can make it "all for the children" we'd be set.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #69

You think you know but you don't know... just saying
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #70

Quote:
There is no law until or if a crash happens, then the collision investigators, insurance claims and attorneys get interested in the weights.
It would be difficult for a LEO to find a legal reason to pull it over.
I am more concerned about the epidemic of danger from texting drivers than any public danger from a hitch dragging rig like this.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #71

Quote:
This is the part......
Where do I know the "legal weight for that configuration"....

The law says look at the mfg sticker?
And every config of every mfg is different...

I'm confident I'm way under all my ratings, so I don't have a horse in the race / it doesn't really matter. But it's something I've wondered since I started reading these forums...

In Texas the sticker is merely manufacturer CYA. It’s the weight for which they are registered.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
In Texas the sticker is merely manufacturer CYA. It’s the weight for which they are registered.
Aah, thank you. That's the most believable to me. Pay more $, haul more stuff. Perhaps up to some per tire (or axle) maximum?
Old 08-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #73
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
There is no law until or if a crash happens, then the collision investigators, insurance claims and attorneys get interested in the weights. [...]
Show me one example of this being true. Point me to one article online that shows anything like what you have suggested.

I have searched high and low, but I have never seen anything like what you describe. For a decade now I've been looking for this case that people are always talking figuratively about.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Show me one example of this being true. Point me to one article online that shows anything like what you have suggested.

I have searched high and low, but I have never seen anything like what you describe. For a decade now I've been looking for this case that people are always talking figuratively about.
Are you implying if someone is hurt or killed in a crash, attorneys won't sue someone?
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post

Just because you can't find anything like wat you are asking for doesn't mean it doesn't happen regularly. Most negligence lawsuits are settled and never go to trial or verdict. Along with the settlements are confidentiality agreements.

This means there is nothing to find unless you want to research court filings. Wont really learn anything as record will merely state case was settled.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:39 AM   #76

Quote:
There is no law until or if a crash happens, then the collision investigators, insurance claims and attorneys get interested in the weights.
It would be difficult for a LEO to find a legal reason to pull it over.
I am more concerned about the epidemic of danger from texting drivers than any public danger from a hitch dragging rig like this.
Agreed.

There is no law broken if the vehicle are licensed for the weights on them. I can't say that it is dangerous to anyone other than the vehicle itself without more information.

Is it a good idea no but............................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Just because you can't find anything like wat you are asking for doesn't mean it doesn't happen regularly. Most negligence lawsuits are settled and never go to trial or verdict. Along with the settlements are confidentiality agreements.

This means there is nothing to find unless you want to research court filings. Wont really learn anything as record will merely state case was settled.
Yep, crashes are physics in action. Collisions and their energy can be recreated by collision reconstructionists using trigonometry and algebra to show what occurred.
One of the values needed in the formulas and equations are the weights of the involved vehicles.
Law enforcement, insurance and personal injury attorneys all employ reconstructionists to prove in a court of law who or what was the negligence involved in the collision.
ACTAR is reconstructionist accreditation recognized nationwide.
Also check California Highway Patrol, Multidiscplinary Accident Investigation Team (MAIT)
https://actar.org/
Old 08-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #78

Come to mind of how far and few PD or HWP are covering the roads these days.
Feba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #79

Quote:
Yep, crashes are physics in action. Collisions and their energy can be recreated by collision reconstructionists using trigonometry and algebra to show what occurred.
One of the values needed in the formulas and equations are the weights of the involved vehicles.
Law enforcement, insurance and personal injury attorneys all employ reconstructionists to prove in a court of law who or what was the negligence involved in the collision.
ACTAR is reconstructionist accreditation recognized nationwide.
Also check California Highway Patrol, Multidiscplinary Accident Investigation Team (MAIT)
https://actar.org/
Physics in action assuming you get all the variables and inputs precise. Maybe with a fatality they try to get things straight, but the average accident they don't collect enough information. Any lawyer on the other side worth their salt should be able to debunk that kind of science when a bunch of the variables are estimated. You get a huge range of accuracy of analysis on errors carried forward.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Physics in action assuming you get all the variables and inputs precise. Maybe with a fatality they try to get things straight, but the average accident they don't collect enough information. Any lawyer on the other side worth their salt should be able to debunk that kind of science when a bunch of the variables are estimated. You get a huge range of accuracy of analysis on errors carried forward.
You are correct, fatals are the only crashes that get a reconstruction investigation.
Experts in crash reconstruction are always at war with each other in the court room, depending on which side they represent.