Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 11:09 PM   #1

How are commercial vehicles able to exceed payload

So I have been doing a lot of driving on I-10 lately and have seen several DWD and a few SWD trucks hauling 3-5 cars on a trailer. Virtually everyone of them basically had a car or two sitting over the tow vehicle. Being commercial trucks don’t they have to stop at weigh stations. I went to the internet for pics because I never get one while driving Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	222060Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	222061
Old 01-20-2020, 01:15 AM   #2
Always Learning

I know that in Maryland, you could register the truck for any specific weight you wanted to. As long as you're under that registered weight, I imagine you're good when you roll across the weigh stops.

BUT- I'm *guessing*.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #3

Most of those vehicles are only 5-7 thousand pounds each.
Most DRW are rated for that weight.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Most of those vehicles are only 5-7 thousand pounds each.
Most DRW are rated for that weight.
And Only a percentage of that total weight is on the vehicle per se.. So with a heavy truck loaded backed on, that rear end would be considerably lighter than the front end with the cab, motor, etc..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Failure is my business

They aren't allowed to exceed ratings and I'd wager neither of those rigs is even close. My 4x4 dually has a payload of 5650#. A comparable 2WD would be around 6k+. Those are light trailers and light loads.

Though on a different topic, I've often wondered why class 8 rigs don't have a GCWR.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
jkoenig24

Delivering trailers / vehicles / RVs etc ARE considered commercial use (as opposed to PRIVATE RV use). Being a commercial operation, they ARE subject to laws governing commercial operation. More and more weigh stations now post WEIGHT LIMITS (instead of the word "Commercial" or "Trucks") so, technically, many vehicles ARE required to pull into a weigh station. SO FAR, this does NOT seem to be strictly enforced BUT, with revenues shrinking, I can see the day where there will be greater enforcement of more Vehicle & Traffic Laws. Right now, even VERY heavy RVs are not expected (or wanted) to pull into a weigh station. As more inexperienced RVers hit the road and, don't bother to get the training needed to SAFELY operate these behemoths, the number of BAD accidents will increase and, I expect enforcement re: RVers will rise to combat those accidents. New RVers SHOULD take RV training classes. RV Boot Camp is a GREAT start as is a session booked with a PROFESSIONAL Driver Trainer. Such training WILL pay BIG dividends and make RVing MUCH more enjoyable.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

Both of the loaded trailers pictured are more than likely under 15,000 lbs or not much over. A fifth wheel camper is commonly about that as well.

Most of the hot shots like pictured drive F450 and F550s not F350s. Most of the trailers are three axle.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
New RVers SHOULD take RV training classes. RV Boot Camp is a GREAT start as is a session booked with a PROFESSIONAL Driver Trainer. Such training WILL pay BIG dividends and make RVing MUCH more enjoyable.
This is a great idea but training for RV driving / towing is rare and in this area non existent.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #9

overweight commercial

Class 8 trucks are limited to 80,000 Gcwr interstate
Intrastate (In state ) weights are administered by the state you are in and sell permits for about any overweight or oversize combination you can come up with the limiting factor is generally tire capacity which is why you may see rigs with 9 or more axles and in this case 32 tires.
Living in Wny and traveling through Canada I have never seen an Rv pulled over by police for a weight check
Canada does actively do safety checks on even small U haul trailers if needed
tonyb1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Both of the loaded trailers pictured are more than likely under 15,000 lbs or not much over. A fifth wheel camper is commonly about that as well.

Most of the hot shots like pictured drive F450 and F550s not F350s. Most of the trailers are three axle.

Both those pictures are advertised for sale as 350 both older models so the payload is not as great as newer trucks. Also I would think by the axles being so far back. That the last vehicle is not removing as much weight off the truck as the middle vehicle is adding. I had an older dodge pass me in Odessa had a rack over the cab as well. I didn’t see if it had the 5.9 or 6.7 but it sounded like a 5.9.
I asked DPS friend across street he does DOT he says they basically enforce road weight limits and not the Payload sticker in door jam
Old 01-21-2020, 01:11 AM   #11

First of all, these trucks are required to pull through weight stations, at least they were when I drove one back in 2008, the truck I drove was tagged in NC for a total weight of 30000. I had to have a CDL A drivers license to drive one. They enforce tagged weights, not payload stickers, You can also have your stock payload added on by adding springs or other items and licensed shops can issue a new payload sticker for the truck
2020 Wolfpack 25PACK12
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbunch1630 View Post
First of all, these trucks are required to pull through weight stations, at least they were when I drove one back in 2008, the truck I drove was tagged in NC for a total weight of 30000. I had to have a CDL A drivers license to drive one. They enforce tagged weights, not payload stickers, You can also have your stock payload added on by adding springs or other items and licensed shops can issue a new payload sticker for the truck

So if true and my research looking up payload stickers in state law and based on my conversation with DOT DPS. Then half of the payload conversations regarding 1/2 ton and 3/4 trucks are pointless from the “ weight police “ for being over payload
Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #13

If you are driving a pick-up truck for commerical use with a CDL. The truck displays the appropiate DOT numbers and requirements on your vehicle. Also compling with the DOT safety requirements plus the truck is license with a Flat Rate Plate paying the appropiate fees along with not exceding your tire loads than you are legal in IL.

This plate is required for anything over 10,001 LBS in vehicle weight. You simple register the pick-up truck for what every weight you want in 2,000 to 4,000 LB increments and pay the appropriate fees for the licenses plate.

That's how they can tow those loads in IL. If you are legal in your state than you are legal in all other states.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #14

Side question, what are those things on the back of the 2nd pic?
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Derailing the thread, but I was wondering that too. Some kinda gokart or park ride/vehicle?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #16

IIRC, a single axle could not exceed 20,000 when going through a scale. No doubt the F350/450/550 the Hot Shots drive are not exceeding that axle weight. Yes they are commercial drivers and must have a class A to pull that trailer. You can see the ICC and PUC numbers on the side.
I too am curious what those 3 white suvs are , no clue what they are never seen them before.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
They are VPG MV-1..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Production_Group
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vpg m1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	222158  
Old 01-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #18
jkoenig24

"This is a great idea but training for RV driving / towing is rare and in this area non existent."

Lets see; a newbie is going to spend many thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of dollars on an RV. You're saying someone who will spend that kind of money will balk at a ONE TIME expense to travel to attend a MAJOR RV rally where RV Boot Camps and Professional Driver Training WILL be available? MANY people fly or drive into a major rally and stay at a local motel JUST to get said special training which WILL make them SAFER RVers and SMARTER RV buyers (YES, spots can and should be made IN ADVANCE).

Before settling on the purchase of a Class 7, Freightliner based HDT (Heavy Duty Truck based Super-C RV, I DID drive from NY to TN to attend the HDT~ECR (Heavy Duty Truck~East Coast Rally). I stayed in a Camping Cabin and, what I learned there, enabled me to make a MUCH more informed buying decision. In addition to getting educated, I had a GREAT time!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
"This is a great idea but training for RV driving / towing is rare and in this area non existent."

Lets see; a newbie is going to spend many thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of dollars on an RV. You're saying someone who will spend that kind of money will balk at a ONE TIME expense to travel to attend a MAJOR RV rally where RV Boot Camps and Professional Driver Training WILL be available? MANY people fly or drive into a major rally and stay at a local motel JUST to get said special training which WILL make them SAFER RVers and SMARTER RV buyers (YES, spots can and should be made IN ADVANCE).

Before settling on the purchase of a Class 7, Freightliner based HDT (Heavy Duty Truck based Super-C RV, I DID drive from NY to TN to attend the HDT~ECR (Heavy Duty Truck~East Coast Rally). I stayed in a Camping Cabin and, what I learned there, enabled me to make a MUCH more informed buying decision. In addition to getting educated, I had a GREAT time!
Is there something wrong with your Caps Lock key?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #20

Many of you have hit on my points of emphasis. I know these guys have to go thru weigh stations. I also know it’s incredibly unlikely that they are under the payload sticker on the door. While I have read but highly doubt that RV are being pulled over and weighed. Only to be left on the side of road because truck doesn’t have the payload or the driver doesn’t have some obscure license to drive the truck. Living in west Texas I see heavy loaded hot shot drivers daily. If being registered as a commercial vehicle is all it takes then wouldn’t all California trucks be excepted from payload sticker. Since supposedly all trucks are registered as commercial. Anyway I have read more than one thread where someone traded in for a bigger truck because they got pounded about their lack of payload and all the laws they were breaking.