Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I've seen this several times due to backing up with out loosening the brake Handel. When I had this system was told by dealer never to back up without first releasing the brake tension. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #22

We had to RECEIVERS get broken !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #23

The way the Tongue bracket is bent can only be caused from a Drivers side "Jack Knife "be Foward or Backwards "! Most of the time the Friction Slide Bracket is also Bent! Youroo! !
Old 09-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5mhb View Post
Someone mentioned welding to the frame. Voids your warranty if the camper is new. I'd suggest moving away from all of that to a 4 point hitch or something better. Those friction ez-sway bars are not the best anymore.
welding to the frame may void the frame warranty but nothing else . and i doubt it would void the frame warranty at all . only way it could is if the weld caused the frame to break at that point . so if someone weld the anti-sway ball to the front a-frame and a failure occurred let's say a spring hanger comes off the warranty would not be void because of the weld up front
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #25

After one experience of a sway bar snapping off the mounting point of a brand new tt within one block after leaving the dealer that was enough for me. Switch to a Reese WD w/ dual cam sway control rated for 12,000lb our TT is 8,900lb loaded. Have been using this system since 2002, this is third TT it has moved to. Never need to unhook for backing or sharp turns, over the years have hear many sad stories about problems with friction sway bars. The dealers don't like to sell this setup because inital setup is more involved and the system costs about $200 more. Many RVers aready have the WD bars but don't know about the cams. This is a good explaination about it.

strgrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #26

Had same thing happen to me. No bolts pulled out however, just ball pulled forward. System had been working for many trips before that, about a year. Think in my case the sway bar had been in a little rain while camping. When I put it on it was in the exact same angle as when I pulled it off so I didn't need to pull it in or out to adjust. If rusted in place I wouldn't have been able to witness this. Also possibly too tight. Found sway bar hanging loose when we got home. The ball mount bracket was put in last year. Maybe bad weld on the ball.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #27

My sway bar now rides along in a storage compartment. I converted to the Straptec system. Hate chains and all the jacking involved with them.

First trip I actually forgot to put the sway bar on. On the way home I did install it. Towing was smoother and no sway issues without the bar.. No tendency to have delayed steering when friction bar installed. No need to worry about adjusting or backing. Was a little skeptical about mfr's claims it was also a sway controll system, due to short connection at end of load bars, but after 5,000 miles of towing since I'm a believer. Interstates, state highways, mountains, trucks passing, all the normal issues are handled. Best of all, a long handled ratchet or breaker bar is all that's needed to adjust. No more extra wear and tear, along with battery discharge, to jack truck up high enough to easily pry chain anchor in place.

BT W, the Straptec "winches" can be welded to the frame. Since since Lippert makes both I'd assume welding to a frame is no big deal if done right. Then again that applies to installing screws as well.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My sway bar now rides along in a storage compartment. I converted to the Straptec system. Hate chains and all the jacking involved with them.

First trip I actually forgot to put the sway bar on. On the way home I did install it. Towing was smoother and no sway issues without the bar.. No tendency to have delayed steering when friction bar installed. No need to worry about adjusting or backing. Was a little skeptical about mfr's claims it was also a sway controll system, due to short connection at end of load bars, but after 5,000 miles of towing since I'm a believer. Interstates, state highways, mountains, trucks passing, all the normal issues are handled. Best of all, a long handled ratchet or breaker bar is all that's needed to adjust. No more extra wear and tear, along with battery discharge, to jack truck up high enough to easily pry chain anchor in place.

BT W, the Straptec "winches" can be welded to the frame. Since since Lippert makes both I'd assume welding to a frame is no big deal if done right. Then again that applies to installing screws as well.
Looks interesting but on Amazon lots of reports of defective parts. Then a new design that has it's own drawbacks. According to reports on Amazon, Lippert apparently doesn't help or stand by it's products.

Total 239
Old 09-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Looks interesting but on Amazon lots of reports of defective parts. Then a new design that has it's own drawbacks. According to reports on Amazon, Lippert apparently doesn't help or stand by it's products.
I read the same reviews but went ahead anyway. The unit I received had none of the issues some made a big deal out of.
Installed following directions and it's fine.

If i did have an issue I'd be dealing with the seller first. They usually have different people to contact than in a call center.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #30

The bolts on my Harbor Fright anti-sway were totally useless.
One More Time Around: Wolf Pup - Anti Sway
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #31

I believe there was an installation problem. It looks like the missing bolts were over tightened and stripped out the holes in the frame. With no rear bolts it wouldn't take much to bend the plate.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
The bolts on my Harbor Fright anti-sway were totally useless.
One More Time Around: Wolf Pup - Anti Sway
Oooo! Like that boat / trailer. Tell me about it. Who makes it?

Total 239
Old 09-24-2018, 07:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
I believe there was an installation problem. It looks like the missing bolts were over tightened and stripped out the holes in the frame. With no rear bolts it wouldn't take much to bend the plate.
The 2 balls MUST be set @ the proper distance,,,
Ours were to close,,, and the Cast Iron Receiver got broken TWICE !!!
Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #34

question. the wdh that I have is a husky with chains and sway bar. the problem is the right side spring bar keeps bending the 1/4" pin every trip, checked adjustments and measured every part, I have tried switching every part left to right and still bends the pin, any ideas.
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
question. the wdh that I have is a husky with chains and sway bar. the problem is the right side spring bar keeps bending the 1/4" pin every trip, checked adjustments and measured every part, I have tried switching every part left to right and still bends the pin, any ideas.
I am sorry if this question was ask earlier but,,,
Any chance who ever installed this can help ???
Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw View Post
Just made our “maiden” voyage in out new 33.5 foot Salem 241 RKSS-having just traded in our 26 foot 2017 QBXL Cruise Lite. After a 2.5 hour drive down very straight highways and freeways, I arrive to find my anti-sway bar handging off the hitch attach point. The frame attach point was bent almost 45 degrees out, with the 2 aft heavy self tapping screws pulled. The only turn I made was a left hand at our storage lot, which was somewhat tight but not close to jackknifing.

I’ll get this fixed, but can someone help me understand how this might have happened so I can avoid a repeat? Did I have the bar too tight? That is the only thing I consciously changed due to increases weight and the fact we were on I-75 with a 75 MPH limit and lots of trucks. Same hitch as before.

Thanks.
i sounds like it was way too tight. i have the same setup and if my bar is too tight makes allot of noise. I hate to be nosey but Im in the same position as you where, I have a wolf pup 18TO limited 23' and wanting to trade off for a 30' Vibe West 257DBI , was the value of your trade hard too swallow ? How was the deal? PM me if needed, any pointers would be helpful
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Oooo! Like that boat / trailer. Tell me about it. Who makes it?
It's a '72 Land N Sea. There were 250 made. Here's the story on mine.
One More Time Around: Houseboat - 2,000 Miles to Lake Powell
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
i sounds like it was way too tight. i have the same setup and if my bar is too tight makes allot of noise. I hate to be nosey but Im in the same position as you where, I have a wolf pup 18TO limited 23' and wanting to trade off for a 30' Vibe West 257DBI , was the value of your trade hard too swallow ? How was the deal? PM me if needed, any pointers would be helpful
$34,564 MSRP, I paid $21,250 and got $10,600 for the trade (original dealer offered $10,900). I had to beat the guy up pretty badly, but I think I got an excellent deal. Only down side is the dealer is 2.5 hours away in SW Michigan.

New sway bar is on the way. $50 for the whole kit, but at least I have a spare bar for next time.
planecrashlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I am sorry if this question was ask earlier but,,,
Any chance who ever installed this can help ???

Well..being a lawyer, the first question is always "who can I get to pay for my mistakes...?"

Actually the dealer changed the hitch and the back-up camera for free and is a 5 hour round trip.

Lesson learned.
planecrashlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #40
Site Team

After reading this thread, I'm sure glad that I have a 4pt Equal-i-zer!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway