Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #1

How do you guys route your brake/lights cable?

It occurs to me that I don't really know what that cable is called but it's the one you hook up to your truck to power the lights and brakes on the TT - umbilical???

Anyway, I was just wondering how best to route it from where it emerges from the frame to the connection to the truck so that it 1) doesn't sag too much and 2) has enough slack for turns.

I don't really have a problem with mine but I just kind of snake it around the tongue jack and it lays on top of the hitch latch. In my worst case scenario mind, I can envision it hooking the hitch latch and releasing the trailer somehow (I know, rather unlikely).

Just generally wondering if I'm missing some well-known method.

Same goes for the TT brake trip wire too

Thanks
Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #2

I just wrap mine around the tongue jack to take up the excess slack. Always use a pin in the hitch latch and you won't have to worry about something flipping it up. I may just be paranoid, but I will not pull a trailer without a pin in the latch on the hitch.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
I will not pull a trailer without a pin in the latch on the hitch
Not paranoid,it's a DOT safety law.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Not paranoid,it's a DOT safety law.
Yes law up here in Caanada as well.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I used to wrap the excess cord (pigtail as I called it) around my tongue jack well. Don't wrap your emergency break away cable though. For that you can coil it up with a zip tie or better target one of the bungee break away cables. You should never haul without a pin of some sort through your hitch latch. I used youse a long skinny padlock to keep kids from messing with it when I stopped at a rest stop. I never had it happen but know it has happened to others. I also use a padlock on my fiver hitch for the same reason. You should also check all connections before pulling out at a rest stop because someone could have messed with it or tripped over it cutting across the hitch (yes I'm guilty of this).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, brakes