Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #41
Grammar Pedant

I think lengthy idle times for diesel is a traditional practice that will likely never go away.

When I used to work in a log yard in the 1990s, all of our heavy equipment (excavators, log stackers, shovels, etc.) would idle forever in the morning before use. I also see big rigs in truck stops idling forever in the mornings before departure ... and these aren't sleeper models where the driver could be microwaving himself some oatmeal.

And, in general, I was always used to seeing diesel light trucks (pickups) idling for 15 minutes or more in the morning. That is, back in the 1980s and 1990s. I don't know if those engines truly needed the morning idles, but that was the norm. And, I think that, whether it's necessary or not, the practice is ingrained into the diesel culture.

The good news is that the newer engines are quiet. My 6.7 PSD is as quiet or quieter than my 5.4L V8 F-150. The bad news is that old 7.3 and Cummins diesels tend to sound like a Kenworth warming up and last forever. My buddy has a neighbor with a 2000s Cummins next to him ... starts every morning at 5:00 AM and idles for 30 minutes. That's rough stuff.

I've also had the late-night campground arrival that takes 45 minutes+ to set up camp ... with the diesel idling the entire time. Me, I think diesel is expensive and I try not to waste it. Others seem to hate to turn off their engines.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Last weekend was our first RV park experience, had a great time, but one thing bugged me. The guy in the spot next to us, whose F950 or whatever it was, parked about a foot away from the side of our trailer, would start his truck at 0700 every morning, and it would idle at least 5 minutes before he would pull out. I'm guessing he was heading to work that early, because he would be gone all day and his woman would remain in the trailer. Temp was in the low 50's outside. The thing sounded like a diesel locomotive starting up, or maybe a destroyer.

So my question is, do enormous diesel pickups like that have to idle for several minutes before you can put it in gear and slowly drive away? There was no going back to sleep after 5 minutes of that racket.
At 7:00, I have been awake for a while. I expect some noise at that time of morning. I get impatient trying to be quiet until late morning, when lots of families just get stirring. I'll warm up my diesel a few minutes before heading out.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #43

FWIW
The local Ford service guy told me that the newer diesels should not be left idling for extended time because the particulate filter clogs at about 30,000 miles on the idlers. So those who like their sleep may get some satisfaction after all.

Mine is a 7.3 no particulate filter. No problem. If real cold I idle mine for about a minute because it will not pull when cold. Figure I don't bother the sleepers because I can never get an early start.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Hahaha, that's actually good ol' Jim Leahy (RIP), Trailer Park Supervisor at Sunnyvale Trailer Park in Nova Scotia. If you have Netflix, tune into Trailer Park Boys, no matter how crappy things are going in your life, you will feel better about yourself! (greatest thing to come out of Canada since poutine, btw, and maybe chicken chips, which I'm dying to try)

I'm actually looking for a diesel now. I have noticed that the newer ones are so much quieter than the old "stinky" diesels of yesteryear. And Kris, I always figured that avatar was you! I looked at it a few times and thought, "Geez, he sounds like a great guy, but it sure doesn't look like he takes any crap."

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #45
Lame *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
I'm actually looking for a diesel now. I have noticed that the newer ones are so much quieter than the old "stinky" diesels of yesteryear. And Kris, I always figured that avatar was you! I looked at it a few times and thought, "Geez, he sounds like a great guy, but it sure doesn't look like he takes any crap."

Yea but you ain't met his friend Randy yet.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #46
Trailer Park Supervisor

Now that you mention Randers, I do believe it's almost time for a little drinky poo. It's five o'clock somewhere!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #47
Lame *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post

You made my day. I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. Thank you.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #48
Trailer Park Supervisor

3 minutes till five....

Almost time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	474597.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	203618  
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #49

Trucks don't bother me, it's the damn people using blowers at 7am to blow off the rugs that they are not going to use until later in the day.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #50

Diesel Run Time

In 24 years of RVing that has been one of the biggest drawbacks. Someone next to you that wants to leave early runs their diesel for thirty minutes while they are packing up and there is no way to get back to sleep. It is unnecessary and inconsiderate.
vmi62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #51
Citrus County, Fl.

Never understood the idling. Sure could not imagine waiting 30 minutes to leave the fire station on a call so we could warm it up.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #52

I do agree....unless I am going to work...I also am generally UP if I get woke up. Especially after 2-3 hours sleep. I have learned I pretty much might as well get up....or at least if it’s anywhere near 5. Just part of being old.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #53
Camper

I apologize to all in advance. I have an '06 Ford 6 liter, not even close to quiet.
But I am aware of it and do my best not to disturb others as much as possible. I even get worried if I leave the campground more than once or twice because every time I do the heads turn my way.

I don't idle more than a minute or 2 when it is cold out. The most idle time I have is when i am unhooking after arriving. Heck, I even turn the engine off if I go to a drive thru because the workers can't hear me over the noise.

I do my best but I am afraid there are some that no matter how hard I try they will get upset that my truck is bothering them. Sorry.

What really bothers me noise wise is the adult who is up at 2am playing some video game on a projector screen and surround sound system OUTSIDE! The only time I called campground security. My trailer would rumble as he played Mortal Combat or the like. Come on!

Families enjoying the outdoors noises do not bother me.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #54

Good thread. Up here in Trailer Park Land the sites in our beautiful Ontario Provincial Parks tend to be pretty private but occasionally someone's loud truck can be a nuisance. I always giggle at the folks who take the truck to the shower/garbage/recycling/beach but then go for a run later.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #55

My Duramax has a fluid clutch for the radiator fan. When it is cold outside I need to idle it for 4-5 minutes or so in order to allow the fluid in that clutch to thin or I get a horrible roaring sound because the clutch is engaged by that very viscous fluid.

I do as one other poster stated and use the remote start to let it warm up to prevent this.

If I were him and you informed me how it was affecting your sleep Id be more than happy to reposition my truck to keep from disturbing you.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
I apologize to all in advance. I have an '06 Ford 6 liter, not even close to quiet.
But I am aware of it and do my best not to disturb others as much as possible. I even get worried if I leave the campground more than once or twice because every time I do the heads turn my way.

I don't idle more than a minute or 2 when it is cold out. The most idle time I have is when i am unhooking after arriving. Heck, I even turn the engine off if I go to a drive thru because the workers can't hear me over the noise.

I do my best but I am afraid there are some that no matter how hard I try they will get upset that my truck is bothering them. Sorry.

What really bothers me noise wise is the adult who is up at 2am playing some video game on a projector screen and surround sound system OUTSIDE! The only time I called campground security. My trailer would rumble as he played Mortal Combat or the like. Come on!

Families enjoying the outdoors noises do not bother me.
That's my truck, and engine. At one campground I had a snug fit. I couldn't get my slide out and also have my awning out. I wiggled around between trees trying to get things situated and to be level. It took a long time. I walked over to apologize to my neighbor camper for the noise. He had a diesel also. He said "I could listen to that machine all day".
Old 05-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #57

If you think a Diesel is loud at 7 am wait until the Waste Management Truck rolls in at 5 am to empty dumpsters, then a few minutes later the recycle truck follows and uses the automatic pick up arm to empty 10 recycle bins.

Campgrounds are no longer the quiet place we have all gotten used to, many are permanent homes and people live their everyday lives from them.

After a week you would probably sleep thru it.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #58

That's why I'm all for boondocking. Crowded CG's have less than 0% appeal to me.
After 16-1/2 years LE before stroking out I don't care to forgo peace and quiet and the lack of the village idiot convention............had enough of them on the job.........sure don't want to deal with them now
Like most circumstances all it takes is one person to ruin the experience.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #59

Just wonderful

Personally I think it's great that we can all afford our hobby / adventures and the associated equipment to go with it, See some great parts of this country and one of the few things we have to moan about is whether someone idles thier truck too long to annoy us.. Thankful indeed!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
FWIW
The local Ford service guy told me that the newer diesels should not be left idling for extended time because the particulate filter clogs at about 30,000 miles on the idlers.
The service guy is incorrect.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
diesel