Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

How to find the capacities of an older truck

My sons house burned down. I told him to settle with insurance for loss of use(motels and food etc. His policy limit was $95,000. He settled for $75,000. This was to buy a used 5th wheel to put on his property while rebuilding (then have a nice vacation trailer). He stole a trailer for $62,000. Like new, 2017.

He had it delivered to my house and is temporarily living in it while he gets permits to do things (time consuming). He has to tear down first, before getting permit to rebuild. Once he gets the permit to rebuild, he can relocate the trailer to his property.

The guys will relocate the trailer for him when ready, but, Here's the question...
He wants to buy a truck so he can move it (or me) to the property. This trailer is 19,000 pounds and a 3820 pin weight. I'm figuring an F350 (he like the fords) but not every truck is the same (some will take a 3000# payload and others 5000 depending on the trim). How do we tell (or can find out) what the specks are on an older truck?

The trucks stickers only has axel weight and GVWR ratings. How do we get the gross combined weight and payload of an older vehicle without the manual.

TIA
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #2

I use
https://rv.campingworld.com/towguide

It may be more interesting than accurate.
Rubenova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #3

Thanks. Not only interesting, but wrong. I entered my vehicle and it showed half the tote capacity.

The hard thing is all three info is not on the door sticker or tag. And not all vin numbers are listed. This makes it hard if one finds a super deal on a truck but can not figure out it's tow capacity, GCVWR, and hitch weight on the spot.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #4

Google Ford Towing Guide for the model year.

-- Chuck
Old 10-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

Maybe try vindecoderz.com
I use it in the shop when I need equipment lists.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
D W

Your best bet is to subscribe to Ford Truck, GM Truck and RAM Truck Forums. Those guys have all the answers when it come to referencing VIN's. Subscribe, post your inquiry with VIN, Make & Model and ask your pertinent questions. I've used the GM Truck forum several times to get manufacture information and those guys are fantastic! One word of advice, though. If you don't like their answer, keep it to yourself, say thanks and move on. If you reply back with a response of "wrong", you will wear out your welcome in a hurry. Just sayin'.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
My sons house burned down. I told him to settle with insurance for loss of use(motels and food etc. His policy limit was $95,000. He settled for $75,000. This was to buy a used 5th wheel to put on his property while rebuilding (then have a nice vacation trailer). He stole a trailer for $62,000. Like new, 2017.

He had it delivered to my house and is temporarily living in it while he gets permits to do things (time consuming). He has to tear down first, before getting permit to rebuild. Once he gets the permit to rebuild, he can relocate the trailer to his property.

The guys will relocate the trailer for him when ready, but, Here's the question...
He wants to buy a truck so he can move it (or me) to the property. This trailer is 19,000 pounds and a 3820 pin weight. I'm figuring an F350 (he like the fords) but not every truck is the same (some will take a 3000# payload and others 5000 depending on the trim). How do we tell (or can find out) what the specks are on an older truck?

The trucks stickers only has axel weight and GVWR ratings. How do we get the gross combined weight and payload of an older vehicle without the manual.

TIA
"Payload" is just GVWR minus actual curb weight.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum total weight that the truck carries on its own 4 (6, whatever) tires. If you have the GVRW and can run the truck itself across a scale, then it's just simple math.

Gross Combined Weight should also be on the door pillar (should be on the same certification label). If you have your curb weight, then you can figure out your "max tow" number in the same way - GCVWR minus curb weight.

Also, keep in mind that any "payload" number on a sticker on the truck was only accurate at the moment that the truck left the factory. Anything that was added to the truck after that point reduces payload on a pound-for-pound basis. Running boards, bed topper, "overload springs", 5th wheel hitch, fuzzy dice hanging from your mirror, even that handful of parking tickets in the glove box.

People want to treat that payload number as gospel, but the only real gospel is the GVWR. The payload sticker is just a convenience to save you from needing to do math.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:40 PM   #9

Truck specifications

How old are you speaking of? If it has a VIN number, the manufacturer should be able to provide the specifications of a truck they built. A local dealer should be able to look that up on their reference material. If this is a 30 year old truck, the lookup might be difficult.

Forest River can reference anything about their trailers, if you provide the VIN number.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
How old are you speaking of? If it has a VIN number, the manufacturer should be able to provide the specifications of a truck they built. A local dealer should be able to look that up on their reference material. If this is a 30 year old truck, the lookup might be difficult.

Forest River can reference anything about their trailers, if you provide the VIN number.
We've tried a couple sites using vin number, but they were off.... I think he is going to have to figure out what will tow it and then just look for that truck. The problem is, he keeps seeing these trucks he likes and when we do the research, they won't work.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Maybe try vindecoderz.com
I use it in the shop when I need equipment lists.
I'll try this site. Thanks. I tried one like it that could not find the VIN.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:12 PM   #12

I have to ask because I owned a 42’ 5th wheel and the dry weight was 12 500 ish. What type trl did he buy
Old 10-17-2021, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I have to ask because I owned a 42’ 5th wheel and the dry weight was 12 500 ish. What type trl did he buy
A keystone 417. Toy hauler. 43 foot. Dry weight 15,200. GVWR 19000. Hitch weight 3655. Great trailer. With all the options. Makes mine look sick.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
Always Learning

On older trucks, the only real way to find out an accurate payload capacity is to take them to a scale. I'm not 100% certain how you would do that with buying a truck short of tell them the test drive needs to go to the nearest truck stop, agriculture supply, or dump.

I'm guessing you won't find an older truck with the 4,000+ lbs of payload capacity you're going to need even in a dually (which at 19k, you should be looking solely at duallies). At that point, you're likely going to have to focus on the rear axle + tire load capacity.

See if this article helps:
https://learntorv.com/can-i-tow-this/
Old 10-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #15
D W

X2 on the dually. At that length and that weight, it will not be an enjoyable tow with a SRW truck.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:05 PM   #16

https://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck