Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For TT's, you need to do 3 weights:

1, truck + trailer w/ WDH engaged (like regular travel)
2, truck + trailer w/ WDH disengaged (throw the bars in the truck bed)
3, truck only

Make sure to pull off of the scale in between weighings to make all adjustments.

And then, like shared above- use this calculator with the resulting 3 weigh slips:
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

Very curious why you remove the WD from your hitch. If I did that, I would be way over on my tongue weight capacity. I would be afraid that I would break something on my truck. Cant you get the same results by following the fifth wheel weigh calculations?
jjcooler65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #42

Your practices sound perfect!

But the vehicle-makers' ratings don't seem to be conservative enough for the kind of towing I've done, and been burned by, in the past.

I started out very small--Chevy S-10 Blazers and a Trail Blazer. Four of 'em in total. The S-10's were rated to haul 3300 lbs, the Trail Blazer rated to 5000 lbs.

And I went through four transmissions over 20 years, towing trailers that weighed about 3000 lbs.

I'd added on tranny coolers if the little trucks didn't have them--but three DID come with factory tranny coolers.

I changed tranny fluid annually, did slow starts. And still had that awful smell & sound of an overheated transmission forcing the hot fluid out around the rubber seal that deformed at high heat.

I gave up on those vehicles and now I tow with a 3/4 HD pickup. I hope to never have that transmission problem again.

The point, which I'm taking too long to get to, is that the car builder said I could tow up to a certain weight. I kept below that weight, and still damaged the vehicles. Hopefully your case will show that the weight the App shows is far enough under the vehicle's rating that you won't have the issues I did.

Keep on camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm a huge proponent of staying with truck and trailer ratings. Never had truck issues, but I did buckle the frame of a trailer once. I'd like that to not happen again.

So, weigh early. And weigh often. Especially when there are big changes made. For us, that was the replacement of the crappy RV sofa with one that is super comfortable but also has 3 electric motors for the recliners.

For this weighing, I was carrying some black water, some gray water, water heater full, and less than 1/3 of my 100g freshwater tank.

So first- download the Weigh My Truck app to your smart device. Run it and configure it with credit card information.

When you get to the truck stop, fill up with fuel.
DuluthCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #43
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuluthCamper View Post
The point, which I'm taking too long to get to, is that the car builder said I could tow up to a certain weight. I kept below that weight, and still damaged the vehicles. Hopefully your case will show that the weight the App shows is far enough under the vehicle's rating that you won't have the issues I did.
The point that I often try stressing is that the "tow rating" is totally fictional and there are a series of other ratings that you'll exceed long before ever getting to the "tow rating".
Old 03-30-2021, 08:28 PM   #44

Howto: Weighing with Weigh My Truck app at CAT Scale (pics + screenshots)

I took my new Rockwood 2608bs to the CAT scales today. First time out since I bought it, and first test ride with the equalizer 10000/1000 WDH.

All the research from reading the threads here and following the instructions here seemed to pay off. As far as I can tell, everything came out perfect and it seemed to tow real nice.

TV is 2020 F-250 SRW 4X4 crew cab. Seemed an excellent match to this trailer.

3500w genny, DW and full fresh water tank were part of these weights. 2606bs is a little front heavy with the forward kitchen and two batteries, but balanced by full aft fresh water tank.

Results here:

http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...4220&w3da=3340

Thanks again everyone! We are vaccinated and itching to hit the road. First trip early May to Florida via Myrtle Beach.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #45

First time weighing on CAT scales the other day and can't make sense of numbers

unhooked: Steer Axle 4900 + drive axle 3420 = GVW 8320

hooked up: steer axle 4900 + drive axle 5500 + trailer axles 9740 = GCVW 20,140

this gives me a trailer weight of 11,820. didn't have any water but did it loaded up with everything I go camping with. thing is, the FW has a dry weight on the sticker of 11,957. How can I possibly be under the unloaded weight? and the king pin weight is labeled as 1,750, and my calculations give me king pin of 2,060 loaded, which does make sense..
smmyers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmyers84 View Post
First time weighing on CAT scales the other day and can't make sense of numbers

unhooked: Steer Axle 4900 + drive axle 3420 = GVW 8320

hooked up: steer axle 4900 + drive axle 5500 + trailer axles 9740 = GCVW 20,140

this gives me a trailer weight of 11,820. didn't have any water but did it loaded up with everything I go camping with. thing is, the FW has a dry weight on the sticker of 11,957. How can I possibly be under the unloaded weight? and the king pin weight is labeled as 1,750, and my calculations give me king pin of 2,060 loaded, which does make sense..
Seems odd the front axle didn't change one bit?
Old 04-05-2021, 07:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1_131 View Post
Seems odd the front axle didn't change one bit?
I do have a leveling kit on the front but wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference
smmyers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, truck