Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #1

Husky hitch

Got a new vibe 26rk. Dealer insisted on one of these husky hitches. For 20 years always had a Reece with the chains. Took the camper from the dealer home, first thing I noticed was very very little sway. Problem I’m having is the pins holding the L bracket in place keeps deforming during trips. Took the camper and hitch back to dealer for them to check it out. It was level with the truck. Moving the bars in and out with their gadget is a pain. Bars are very stiff. Dealer actually checked some stuff with the hitch and didn’t like it so they replaced it! But the pins are still deforming??? Anyone else having issues with these hitches? I love the sway control. Thanks for any advice.
Ken1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Pics of the deformation?
For install/removal of the spring/load bars, use your tongue jack to lift the TT and the TV rear to make bars lift easily (sometimes slide in) into place.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #3

Are you talking about the square head bolts locking the L bracket? On mine I check them regularly and retorque them, they are just a bolt that pushes into the hole so it will deform. To ease hooking and uhooking use the tongue jack to lift both truck and trailer, should make things much easier. The square hole in the bar tool fits the bolt for tightening anytime.

And just as an after thought, do not leave the tool for the spring bars on your bumper when you head out, it won,t stay there. So I was told.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #4

My hitch pins that go through the L bracket are deforming. The L brackets hold down the bars. Sorry for the confusion. I will try and get a picture on here for better clarification. I’m wondering if I cant put a bolt in instead of the pin.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #5

Are you talking about one of these? The L brackets that go over the bars should not have force against them. Click image for larger version

Name:	metallics-hillman-pins-rings-clips-881101-64_1000.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	233450

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #6

Yes, the anti-sway / weight distribution bars are very stiff; I've positioned my spring-bar support brackets at nearly the maximum distance from the hitch ball (30 1/2"), which allows me to engage / disengage the anti-sway bars where they are slightly more tapered.

If you're referring to the "hair pin clips" (as they're called in the manual) -- the clips which hold the L retaining pin over the spring bars -- those clips should not be deforming. Except momentarily in sharper turns, there shouldn't be any load on those "hair pin clips."

The Husky Centerline is a great anti-sway, weight distribution hitch. I prefer it over my previous hitch (Hensley Arrow).

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #7

Yes those are the clips that I am referring to. I’m pretty sure with the amount of pressure on those bars that those bars are not moving up and down putting any kind of pressure on the pins. I have backed it into spots that I had to have the camper turned pretty good from the truck. Could that be causing it possibly? I love the centerline sway control as well. I contacted Husky, they told me to take it back to the dealer, but they didn’t give me any possible explanation why they might be deforming.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #8

Wow! Only way I could guess those clip pins are getting bent is from a significant upward load on the L retainers for the spring bars. They should next to never do that. The bars should almost always be putting significant downward pressure on the spring bars, pressing them into place on the frame brackets. I forgot to install one of the retainers once and had the bar pop out/off the frame bracket.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go West View Post
Yes, the anti-sway / weight distribution bars are very stiff; I've positioned my spring-bar support brackets at nearly the maximum distance from the hitch ball (30 1/2"), which allows me to engage / disengage the anti-sway bars where they are slightly more tapered.

If you're referring to the "hair pin clips" (as they're called in the manual) -- the clips which hold the L retaining pin over the spring bars -- those clips should not be deforming. Except momentarily in sharper turns, there shouldn't be any load on those "hair pin clips."

The Husky Centerline is a great anti-sway, weight distribution hitch. I prefer it over my previous hitch (Hensley Arrow).
I noticed a Very Rare comment in regards to a Dissatisfied Hensley Hitch Owner! They are very much in the Minority! Maybe it was Not installed properly? Youroo!!
Old 07-09-2020, 08:33 PM   #10

I had it back at the dealer twice to get it checked. Husky thought maybe it wasn’t level with the truck, but that’s not the case. Leaving tomorrow for Lake Erie. With new pins. Will check them periodically on the 5 hour trip to see if anything is happening.

Tags
hitch