Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 11:21 PM   #1

I am really new to the RV and have a question about towing E-Pro 19FBS with Highlander

I am going to get my very first Rv, E-Pro 19FBS 2021. My towing vehicle is Toyota Highlander 2021 platinum with towing capacity of 5000lbs. I did a bit of research and learned that the dry weight is useless and the vehicle can’t really tow at the maximum towing capacity. The yellow sticker near the door jam showed that “ the weight shouldn’t be exceeded 1225 lbs”. E pro 19FBS have UVW at 3290lbs and CCC at 1084lbs. My hitch capacity is at 5000lbs and TW at 500lbs. With my weak English skill, i really concerned that will my vehicle be able to tow this RV? I tried to understand and read a lot of forums but still didnt get it.
got156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:48 AM   #2

The combination you have will work out. I would install a brake controller in the Highlander and use a Anderson weight distribution hitch.

You can tow 5,000 Lbs
Trailer weight 3290 + 1084 max cargo = 4384 Lbs

There is nothing wrong with this combination, well within the operating limits.

The reason for the selection of the Anderson hitch is the weight of only 51lbs. along with the simplicity of use and outstanding anti sway performance.

The 1225lb figure is the maximum weight you can add to the Highlander. this includes passengers, cargo, tong weight of the trailer (reasonably loaded trailer the tong weight should be under 500lbs)

If you are new to towing, start out slowly, stay in the right lane 60/65 is OK.

Good Luck and have a good time.

2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
The combination you have will work out. I would install a brake controller in the Highlander and use a Anderson weight distribution hitch.

You can tow 5,000 Lbs
Trailer weight 3290 + 1084 max cargo = 4384 Lbs

There is nothing wrong with this combination, well within the operating limits.

The reason for the selection of the Anderson hitch is the weight of only 51lbs. along with the simplicity of use and outstanding anti sway performance.

The 1225lb figure is the maximum weight you can add to the Highlander. this includes passengers, cargo, tong weight of the trailer (reasonably loaded trailer the tong weight should be under 500lbs)

If you are new to towing, start out slowly, stay in the right lane 60/65 is OK.

Good Luck and have a good time.

I use Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III from Etrailer and it is not compatible with WDH. What if i only install brake controller but not WDH. Will it still be ok? Thank you so much for replying. I have been stressed for awhile
Old 04-20-2021, 04:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by got156 View Post
I am going to get my very first Rv, E-Pro 19FBS 2021. My towing vehicle is Toyota Highlander 2021 platinum with towing capacity of 5000lbs. I did a bit of research and learned that the dry weight is useless and the vehicle can’t really tow at the maximum towing capacity. The yellow sticker near the door jam showed that “ the weight shouldn’t be exceeded 1225 lbs”. E pro 19FBS have UVW at 3290lbs and CCC at 1084lbs. My hitch capacity is at 5000lbs and TW at 500lbs. With my weak English skill, i really concerned that will my vehicle be able to tow this RV? I tried to understand and read a lot of forums but still didnt get it.
If Toyota Engineering puts it in writing, in your operators manual, that your Highlander can pull a 5000lb trailer, it can. Let no one tell you differently.

Is it a 85mph highway queen, NO. At reasonable speeds 60/65 and weather conditions it will do fine.
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
Old 04-20-2021, 04:30 AM   #5

Quote:
I use Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III from Etrailer and it is not compatible with WDH. What if i only install brake controller but not WDH. Will it still be ok? Thank you so much for replying. I have been stressed for awhile
So you are saying the Highlander did not come with a factory installed receiver and you added one? At that point I have to ask if the Highlander came with the Trailer Tow Package? If it didn't, this changes everything. Does it really have 5,000lb capability??
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
Old 04-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #6
Member: Old Man Club

I pulled a 4,400 lb TT for eight years with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. It had a 4.0 V-6 engine and a towing capacity of 5,000 lb max. It would stuggle to get up grades sometimes and and did a lot of downshifting, especially in cross and head-on wind, but not once did it overheat or give me any transmission headaches. I always used weight distribution gear and a anti-sway control. If you are not planning to go mountain climbing with it, I think you might be ok. You have to drive sensibly though, and do serious checks on oil and other fluids, make sure tires are properly inflated on tow vehicle and trailer, and ensure all your guages are in working order. I beleive you will be fine.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
So you are saying the Highlander did not come with a factory installed receiver and you added one? At that point I have to ask if the Highlander came with the Trailer Tow Package? If it didn't, this changes everything. Does it really have 5,000lb capability??
It didnt come with hitch receiver but yes it shows on the owner manual that towing capacity is 5000lbs
Old 04-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDodger View Post
I pulled a 4,400 lb TT for eight years with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. It had a 4.0 V-6 engine and a towing capacity of 5,000 lb max. It would stuggle to get up grades sometimes and and did a lot of downshifting, especially in cross and head-on wind, but not once did it overheat or give me any transmission headaches. I always used weight distribution gear and a anti-sway control. If you are not planning to go mountain climbing with it, I think you might be ok. You have to drive sensibly though, and do serious checks on oil and other fluids, make sure tires are properly inflated on tow vehicle and trailer, and ensure all your guages are in working order. I beleive you will be fine.
I dont have weight distribution installed. Will it be ok? Since the hitch that i installed isnt compatible with weight distribution system.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

I have a 2015 Highlander Limited, it came with tow package. I installed a Toyota tow hitch assy. and E-Trailer brake controller. I pulled a 2012 FW Rockwood 2109S TT for 3 months across country, 20253 miles with out any problems (max wt 4900). I did at times go up to 70 mph but suggest keeping below 65 mph. I did have to shift down to 2 gear while climbing the Bear Tooth Mt. pass and the going down the 10% grade on the other side. Must use WD to keep vehicle level and control tung weight.
BeeBoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoB View Post
I have a 2015 Highlander Limited, it came with tow package. I installed a Toyota tow hitch assy. and E-Trailer brake controller. I pulled a 2012 FW Rockwood 2109S TT for 3 months across country, 20253 miles with out any problems (max wt 4900). I did at times go up to 70 mph but suggest keeping below 65 mph. I did have to shift down to 2 gear while climbing the Bear Tooth Mt. pass and the going down the 10% grade on the other side. Must use WD to keep vehicle level and control tung weight.
My draw tite hitch is not rated for weight contribution system. What do i do? And im not sure if my car has a tow package. Its Toyota Highlander platinum 2021 V6 engine
Old 04-20-2021, 12:33 PM   #11

Id also install aux transmission cooler on your Highlander or at least make sure it has one
Just by adding a hitch will not be enough to keep your transmission from running optimal.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 10[/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Your 19FBS is single axle, right? I'd be concerned you are over the max tongue weight of 500 lbs for that vehicle. You certainly are if you upgraded to better, heavier batteries or plan to use the bike rack. You cannot go by the 400-something lb factory sticker for your tongue weight. I have 2 bikes on the rack, a WDH weighing 80 lbs, and around 150 lbs of batteries, including the box and other hardware I used to mount it, I estimate my tongue weight is 600-700 lbs.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #13

Looking up specs for that trailer I am seeing hitch weights of nearly 500#... I have pulled a small 10x5 utility trailer 2500 miles with a 2018 Highlander with an installed hitch, and a tongue weight of 250#.

In my opinion you will NOT be happy with the Highlander towing that rig for long distances or in the mountains. You will have squat in the rear of the Highlander with your headlights aimed up to the sky with that much tongue weight.

Your towing capacity is determined MORE by the payload carrying capacity of your vehicle. That number is published on a yellow sticker on the driver side door jamb. My yellow sticker says Combined weight is 1309#. That number includes the weight on the rear bumper, and in your case is about 500#, plus the weight of the added hitch, plus any cargo and passengers in your Highlander. FInd your sticker and see what it says.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	252506  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #14

Highlander towing capacity

I had a 2010 Highlander and when looking for a TT I called Toyota and was told do not use a wdh as the Highlander was unibody construction (not body on frame) and it could not take a wdh. TOYOTA CLAIMED IF U USED A WDH IT WOULD VIOD THE WARRANTY. Do not know if 2015 is the same construction
jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Your 19FBS is single axle, right? I'd be concerned you are over the max tongue weight of 500 lbs for that vehicle. You certainly are if you upgraded to better, heavier batteries or plan to use the bike rack. You cannot go by the 400-something lb factory sticker for your tongue weight. I have 2 bikes on the rack, a WDH weighing 80 lbs, and around 150 lbs of batteries, including the box and other hardware I used to mount it, I estimate my tongue weight is 600-700 lbs.
Im not planning to add batteries or bike rack
Old 04-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Looking up specs for that trailer I am seeing hitch weights of nearly 500#... I have pulled a small 10x5 utility trailer 2500 miles with a 2018 Highlander with an installed hitch, and a tongue weight of 250#.

In my opinion you will NOT be happy with the Highlander towing that rig for long distances or in the mountains. You will have squat in the rear of the Highlander with your headlights aimed up to the sky with that much tongue weight.

Your towing capacity is determined MORE by the payload carrying capacity of your vehicle. That number is published on a yellow sticker on the driver side door jamb. My yellow sticker says Combined weight is 1309#. That number includes the weight on the rear bumper, and in your case is about 500#, plus the weight of the added hitch, plus any cargo and passengers in your Highlander. FInd your sticker and see what it says.
My sticker say 1225lbs
Old 04-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
Id also install aux transmission cooler on your Highlander or at least make sure it has one
Just by adding a hitch will not be enough to keep your transmission from running optimal.
Is there anyway to check if I have one?
Old 04-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
I dont have weight distribution installed. Will it be ok? Since the hitch that i installed isnt compatible with weight distribution system.
Seriously doubt you'll be ok, without a WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
It didnt come with hitch receiver but yes it shows on the owner manual that towing capacity is 5000lbs
The owner's manual doesn't determine if it has the factory tow package or not.
Do you not have the window sticker that lists all the equipment and options? If not, a Toyota dealer should be able to print one for you, using the VIN.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Im not planning to add batteries or bike rack
DO NOT TRAVEL WITHOUT A CHARGED BATTERY ON YOUR TRAILER. It is REQUIRED for safe towing. It's probably required by law but I can't cite one.

A charged 12V battery is the only thing that will stop the trailer if it detaches from your tow vehicle. If you don't have one and your trailer detaches (it happens) it becomes a 5,000 pound uncontrolled missile on the road. You can kill other people.

Hopefully your safety chains will prevent that but those can fail, too. Even with safety chains, YOU will have a 5000 pound uncontrolled missile chained to the back of your tow vehicle and you can't stop it.

There is a cable on the trailer that attaches to the tow vehicle while towing. If the trailer separates, the cable stays attached to the tow vehicle and pulls a pin from what is called a break-away switch. That activates the brakes which can be powered only by the onboard battery, when not connected to the tow vehicle.

Tags
tow, towing