Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #1

Exclamation I just received a Recall Notice from Chevy

2013 Model Chevy Pickups Recalled

GM recall N212328800 pertains to Takata air bags for the passenger seat. It's the same as all other Takata recalls, the propellant degrades and explodes sending shards of metal through the air bag.

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #2

just now in 2021?better do some checking .
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
Yep. I just got it for my 2010.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:55 PM   #4

I just got one for my 2006 Tundra Crewcab even though I had it fixed a few years ago. Now I'm wondering if the fix needs to be fixed.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
Yuppers! I bought a 2013 Chevrolet crew cab Silverado last July and I just got the Recall letter!
I think that it goes all the way back to 2006 or 2007!

Someone is going to have to dig way down into their deep pockets to make good on this one!

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:30 AM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawrichard View Post
Yuppers! I bought a 2013 Chevrolet crew cab Silverado last July and I just got the Recall letter!

I think that it goes all the way back to 2006 or 2007!

Someone is going to have to dig way down into their deep pockets to make good on this one!

Dick

My 2002 Accord had that recall. Better yet, my kid's Ford Fusion just got recalled again, after the air bags were replaced. It seems some of the new replacements got built with the old parts.

Ray
Old 03-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #7

I got this recall on my 2010 Silverado about 7 years ago. Every time I check for a "Status Update" I am told "no fix available". So for 7 years we've done the Russian Roulette game every time we get in our our truck
Old 03-06-2021, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I just got one for my 2006 Tundra Crewcab even though I had it fixed a few years ago. Now I'm wondering if the fix needs to be fixed.
Yes our Ram got two recalls a month apart the dealer said since the recalls had different numbers even though they just changed it it would need replacement a second time.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:01 AM   #9

My 2007 Tahoe is at the dealer now for air bag recall.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #10

Same here for one of my fleet trucks. Except they have no parts available to fix....
Hilltophunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #11

Older Hyundais are getting recalled, too. For an uncovered relay/computer chip that controls anti-skid braking. Apparently road salt can short it out and cause a fire. I was supposed to park it outside until fixed. This after 13yrs, 235K miles on my Hyundai minivan (fixed last month). Daughter's 2016 Tuscon got recalled for the same thing.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #12
D W

Info here for GM owners:

https://www.gmtakataairbag.com/produ...call/home.html
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #13

There will be Takata airbags needing replacement for decades more.

The factories have barely enough capacity to build air bags for new production let alone replacing years and years of defective production.

Worse yet, does Takata have the financial resources to replace all the defective ones considering they have to build them with no revenue realized on them?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #14

We just got a recall notice, as-well, on our 2013 Silverado ref Takata air bag on the passenger side. They do not have the replacement as-yet. So you drive at your own risk of being injured/killed? When we purchased the 2013, little did we know that we got the death wish option at no additional charge.

When the Takata air bag issue came up, I specifically checked our Silverado by vin# and found nothing. Years later comes a notice?

The bad news is that our truck was demolished last July. The good news is that it was broadsided and the bags didn't inflate. I was in the passenger seat at the time. But, I'm not sure anyone would be safe in the cab with shrapnel flying.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:36 PM   #15

Other vehicles (aircraft, race cars) have proven that 5 point harnesses are much more effective and safer than air bags. Having worn a 5 point harness flying helicopters, I would much rather have those than the stupid single shoulder seat belts and air bags to keep me in place in an accident. But our federal government knows better and requires air bags instead, even though air bags are far less reliable.

just my opinion
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Other vehicles (aircraft, race cars) have proven that 5 point harnesses are much more effective and safer than air bags. Having worn a 5 point harness flying helicopters, I would much rather have those than the stupid single shoulder seat belts and air bags to keep me in place in an accident. But our federal government knows better and requires air bags instead, even though air bags are far less reliable.

just my opinion
Fred W
True dat Govt knows 5-point harness is way better__Govt also knows most people won't use 5-point harnesses. Most would disable them rather than use them. 99% of population is OK with air bags (no user effort at all), and that's why they are mandated. They save more lives and save us all money and loved ones.

I'm with you--I would prefer we would all use 5-pt harness. Most won't. It's the nature of Americans.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
True dat Govt knows 5-point harness is way better__Govt also knows most people won't use 5-point harnesses. Most would disable them rather than use them. 99% of population is OK with air bags (no user effort at all), and that's why they are mandated. They save more lives and save us all money and loved ones.

I'm with you--I would prefer we would all use 5-pt harness. Most won't. It's the nature of Americans.
I would not call out Americans specifically. It's any culture that wants to not take responsibility for ones actions.

There are much better airbag options available but they require you to wear your seatbelt because the airbag is in the seatbelt. When it inflates it explodes away from your face, rather than into it.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
I would not call out Americans specifically. It's any culture that wants to not take responsibility for ones actions.

There are much better airbag options available but they require you to wear your seatbelt because the airbag is in the seatbelt. When it inflates it explodes away from your face, rather than into it.
Agreed it's not only Americans that would resist wearing a 5-pt harness (you don't see many 5-pt harnesses in other countries). But in general Americans stand out in stridently demanding "freedom" to be reckless, often irresponsibly insisting "freedom" to be arrogantly dismissive of the welfare and safety of others.

I don't know anything about airbags in the restraining belts. My point is that currently mandated air bags save more lives and prevent more life-limiting injuries NOT because they are the best system, but because they are 100% passive, in that zero-consumer effort or acceptance is involved. That makes them more effective than superior restraint systems requiring consumer acceptance and effort.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #19

Having the freedom to make your own decisions and accept the consequences (good and bad) is American. Unfortunately, American society is moving away from this. Making everything someone else's fault no longer teaches us how to take educated risks or how to take care of ourselves.

As far as air bags are concerned, for those that do wear seat belts they cause injuries that would not have happened otherwise. The exception to this are side curtain air bags as the 3 point harnesses doesn't restrain as well in side impact crashes.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #20

Hate 'em or love 'em here's an interesting statistic:

Quote:
NHTSA estimates that as of 2015, 44,869 lives have been saved by frontal airbags (National Center for Statistics and Analysis, 2017). In frontal crashes, front airbags reduce driver fatalities by 29 percent and fatalities of front-seat passengers age 13 and older by 32 percent (Kahane, 2015).

What many don't consider is that every time someone is severely injured or killed in a highway accident there is a cost to all the rest. Aside from he costs associated with the accident itself, insurance rates are impacted. Uninsured are cared for at the eventual expense of everyone else who uses the healthcare system. What about disability expense placed on the Social Security Disability system? We all pay for that.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall