Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
So I am trying to phrase this without being confrontational, bait, or agitate. I am on record as saying that I believe people towing with the same TV and trailer were unsatisfied with performance or handling. However not only on this thread but on others I see where people complain about gas engines/ half ton trucks going up hills not mountains just hills. Now I have owned 3 diesel motors and I have also towed with gas engines. This is not a gas verses diesel statement. It’s a SAE J 2807 question when the results don’t meet our views.

So according to 2807 in order for any vehicle to get a tow rating they must be able to tow up a very steep mountain, on a very hot day. They must be able to meet a certain speed in a certain time. It must be repeated several times, without overheating, or mechanical breakdown. The test requires a minimum hitch/ pin weight that is considered within the ranges mentioned here. The test also requires certain frontal area on the trailer being pulled. So why do I read that people saying that their trucks can’t do it. The op is within all specs
I think you have a very good point there. I think in general that some people just get uncomftorable with what they percieve as a strain on engine/ drivetrain components, regardless of what the tow vehicle is rated for.
I know I fell into that with my 2500 Ram 6.4 we bought new in 2016.
Great truck but towing even 2500 lbs less than its max tow rating you could feel the struggle in certaiin driving situations.. And 40 years of wrenching on cars, trucks, bikes and everything in between told me, that kind of struggle no matter what the manufacturer says is not good for the longevity of the motor and or transmission. Now maybe it still would have went 150K with no major issues, but the point being it would have been able to go further with less strain.

Now I am of the mindset, for this particular case, that in no way does the OP need a 3/4 ton truck or a disel engine for that load. There are many configurations of 1/2 tons that are more than capable of towing that. I think the OP is just not happy with his towing experince and would like a little more oomph when towing.. I mean afterall I can move my wood trailer with a riding lawnmower, but its certainly a better experince with something a lil more capable to do the job.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #122

Similar TT - Ram 1500 Hemi w/ 3.92 gears

I'm on my second TT and 3rd Tow vechical in 15 years. Both TT have been the "light weight" 26'-27' types.

I can tell you that dry wheight is definatly misleading for a new to the RV industry. By the time you add all your stuff, batteries/propane it is easy to be +500 lbs (Ok I'm an eagal scout, like my cast iron and don't leave much at home). We often haul our water - there is another 350# or so. At one point I put my TT on a scale with bikes on the hitch (lesson learned, don't do that) full of our gear and fresh water. Our 5200# listed dry weight camper was now just under 7000#.

Started towing with a 2005 Grand Cherokee with Hemi (7500# rated if I recall). Plenty of power, but the smaller wheel base and lighter suspension and wheight meant for slower going (60 maybe 65 with a tail wind) and both hands on the wheel. And also no cruise control - I felt more comfortable being able to vary my speed to the road/wind and hills. FYI using a top end brake controller, sway hitch and heavier A/T sidewall tires.

2nd tow vechical was a 2010 Ram 1500 with Hemi and 3.92 gears. Wow what a differance. Then driving was 65+ and even 70-72 in good conditions. One hand on the steering wheel and could use cruise control. Much more confident. Did do a cold air intake (that made for alot of noise while towing) and again A/T tires to help with the sidewall strength

Now have a 2018 Ram 1500 again Hemi & 3.92 gears. The new 8sp transmision is really nice for towing. Love the built in break controller. Also love how these Ram 1500 ride as all of these tow vechical are my every day transportation. Getting 17.5mpg driving to work and 11.5-12 when we are towing (but who care, we get to go camping). Believe Tow rating on this is just over 10K.

I was about to go to the standard gears in my second truck - until - we were coming home from very northern MN and had a 25+ head wind to drive into. The 2010 with the 5-spd was down shifting a bunch and was reving higher than I like - even just 55 was too much - had to slow to 50. But 50+25 is like driving 75 as far as power needed, just at lower RPM & MPH. Then there was no more doubt about wanting (needing) the lower gearing.

As a daily driver and 3-6 weekend camping trips of 6 or less hours each way - I can't justify a 3/4 ton for this size camper. I really like the ride quality of these Ram 1500 when not towing (coil rear springs). My next truck will also be a Ram 1500 (only reason I have a 2018 is that the 2019 is 4" longer and won't fit well in the garage - flew to Nashville to drive it back to MN, just to get the 2018 Laramie with 3.92/Hemi in Dark Red).

My advice - upgrade to a Hemi with the 3.92 gears.
mncampnhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #123

spot on!

Great response!

I also have a Ram 1500, 5.7l HEMI, 3.92 axle. I'm very new to towing a TT, but this truck is handling it great! It does also have the air suspension which I'm assuming does help as well. I'm even at the upper end of the towing capacity (8600 dry weight). Towing capacity is just over 11k. I haven't done any major mountain hills yet but did some hills in central Pennsylvania without issue. Cruising at 60-70MPH highway and averaging around 10-12mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncampnhunt View Post
I'm on my second TT and 3rd Tow vechical in 15 years. Both TT have been the "light weight" 26'-27' types.

I can tell you that dry wheight is definatly misleading for a new to the RV industry. By the time you add all your stuff, batteries/propane it is easy to be +500 lbs (Ok I'm an eagal scout, like my cast iron and don't leave much at home). We often haul our water - there is another 350# or so. At one point I put my TT on a scale with bikes on the hitch (lesson learned, don't do that) full of our gear and fresh water. Our 5200# listed dry weight camper was now just under 7000#.

Started towing with a 2005 Grand Cherokee with Hemi (7500# rated if I recall). Plenty of power, but the smaller wheel base and lighter suspension and wheight meant for slower going (60 maybe 65 with a tail wind) and both hands on the wheel. And also no cruise control - I felt more comfortable being able to vary my speed to the road/wind and hills. FYI using a top end brake controller, sway hitch and heavier A/T sidewall tires.

2nd tow vechical was a 2010 Ram 1500 with Hemi and 3.92 gears. Wow what a differance. Then driving was 65+ and even 70-72 in good conditions. One hand on the steering wheel and could use cruise control. Much more confident. Did do a cold air intake (that made for alot of noise while towing) and again A/T tires to help with the sidewall strength

Now have a 2018 Ram 1500 again Hemi & 3.92 gears. The new 8sp transmision is really nice for towing. Love the built in break controller. Also love how these Ram 1500 ride as all of these tow vechical are my every day transportation. Getting 17.5mpg driving to work and 11.5-12 when we are towing (but who care, we get to go camping). Believe Tow rating on this is just over 10K.

I was about to go to the standard gears in my second truck - until - we were coming home from very northern MN and had a 25+ head wind to drive into. The 2010 with the 5-spd was down shifting a bunch and was reving higher than I like - even just 55 was too much - had to slow to 50. But 50+25 is like driving 75 as far as power needed, just at lower RPM & MPH. Then there was no more doubt about wanting (needing) the lower gearing.

As a daily driver and 3-6 weekend camping trips of 6 or less hours each way - I can't justify a 3/4 ton for this size camper. I really like the ride quality of these Ram 1500 when not towing (coil rear springs). My next truck will also be a Ram 1500 (only reason I have a 2018 is that the 2019 is 4" longer and won't fit well in the garage - flew to Nashville to drive it back to MN, just to get the 2018 Laramie with 3.92/Hemi in Dark Red).

My advice - upgrade to a Hemi with the 3.92 gears.
DoogMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #124

Yes majority of accidents do happen close to home. Why because most travel happens close to home. Especially in metropolitan areas where the majority of the world lives.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #125

I guess all of those trucks pulling 80,000 lbs up a hill @ 35mph are overloaded then.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #126

F150 Twin Turbo V6 - No Problem Towing 4500 lbs

We have the truck described in the title and pull a Dutchmen Kodiak 3950 lbs dry. Loaded TT and Truck we have about 4500-4700 lbs. We have the right gearing, 10 speed transmission and use cruise control. We average 15-17 mpg traveling at 65 mph when pulling the TT. Hills are no problem and the ride is comfortable. So, my suggestion is ensure you have the right gearing for the load you are pulling. I would suggest that you upgrade a 3/4 ton for the trailer you describe. If turbo boost is available get it.
kjlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #127

Need more truck

What a truck can tow is limited by the "Weakest link in the chain". Three quarter tons have bigger chains so generally can tow more obviously. Links in this chain include things like torque,horsepower, cooling, transmissions, transmission cooling, braking,tires,suspension etc etc. Any one of which can be the weak link.,. I have a half ton ram ecodiesel that I routinely tow a 10000 lb Rockwood with. That's about 2500 lbs OVER it's rating. However, the ecodiesel and 8 spd transmission are not the weak link. I added air bags to boost the rear suspension capacity by 1000 lbs.i added e-range truck tires, and heavy duty brake kit (powestop). I have the tow package which included a transmission cooler. I rotinely go back and forth to Florida from upstate New York and have not yet had any problems with overheating or a lack of pulling power. The diesel provides plenty of torque. I get between 11 and 14 mpg pulling this trailer, and about 24 to 29 when not towing. I bought the truck used with 24k on it and it has been the best vehicle I ever owned. It now has 78k on it and the only problem I had was a cracked turbo manifold whick was covered under warranty.
pottsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispie0206 View Post
So I bought a 2019 ram1500 (v6) last summer with the thought of maybe buying a travel trailer at some point. I knew we would have to have a somewhat light trailer with that truck. Bought a rockwood mini light 2509s in October of 2019. 5130 dry weight. Only took it out once last year and now have taken it out once so far this year. Last trip was about 4 hours away to the hocking hills region in Ohio. I have now quickly realized this truck should not be towing this size camper. Driving straight into a headwind on the expressway was zero fun and went through gas at an insane rate. Then we got to the hills and wondering if we were gonna make it to the top of some of them was pretty sketchy. Now trying to figure out if I should bother with another 1/2 ton truck that is better equppied or go straight to the 3/4 ton truck. Of course the trailer dealer said I was fine with this truck! I have a blue ox sway pro hitch. This is the first thing I have towed other than a small utility trailer and a very small popup camper years ago. Take it easy on me!
How fast were you driving?
What made you feel like you weren't going to get to the top of the road?
What do you consider insane rate, and or acceptable rate while going up a hill in the wind?

Honestly you were going up hill in the head wind towing... of course your going to drink fuel. And I believe your tow rating is 7730 lbs, and your trailer is 5500 so to me your within your ratings, buy a decent margin.

Nothing you said was directed towards safe handling, swaying, inability to stop ETC.

Sure maybe you didn't clear the mountain at 75 MPH while towing, but who cares, your camping not racing. Semi trucks clear mountain passes sometimes at 20 MPH. To me you purchsasd within your turcks means so I fail to see the issue... now if you want a bigger turck or you don't like it go get a bigger truck but then I suspect you might go bigger trailer.

imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:03 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottsda View Post
What a truck can tow is limited by the "Weakest link in the chain". Three quarter tons have bigger chains so generally can tow more obviously. Links in this chain include things like torque,horsepower, cooling, transmissions, transmission cooling, braking,tires,suspension etc etc. Any one of which can be the weak link.,. I have a half ton ram ecodiesel that I routinely tow a 10000 lb Rockwood with. That's about 2500 lbs OVER it's rating. However, the ecodiesel and 8 spd transmission are not the weak link. I added air bags to boost the rear suspension capacity by 1000 lbs.i added e-range truck tires, and heavy duty brake kit (powestop). I have the tow package which included a transmission cooler. I rotinely go back and forth to Florida from upstate New York and have not yet had any problems with overheating or a lack of pulling power. The diesel provides plenty of torque. I get between 11 and 14 mpg pulling this trailer, and about 24 to 29 when not towing. I bought the truck used with 24k on it and it has been the best vehicle I ever owned. It now has 78k on it and the only problem I had was a cracked turbo manifold whick was covered under warranty.
Air bags don't "boost suspension capacity." They don't increase the capability of the axles or the springs, or the wheels or the tires. They only jack up the back of the truck.

2500 lbs overweight!!! Good grief.

Glad I don't live in your vicinity.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Air bags don't "boost suspension capacity." They don't increase the capability of the axles or the springs, or the wheels or the tires. They only jack up the back of the truck.

2500 lbs overweight!!! Good grief.

Glad I don't live in your vicinity.
I found it interesting the GVW of the turck is limited to 6900 lbs, yet the axle ratings are 1100 more. I suspect there is some legal requirement to be called a 1/2 ton.

I agree airbags do nothing in terms of rating but they do help stabilize.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #131
Now a "Top Member"

So Crispie, have we run you off? What do you think??
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #132
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
So Crispie, have we run you off? What do you think??

Last Activity: 05-28-2020 08:15 PM

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #133
Predator59

My rule of thumb was under 5k a 6cyl will do. Under 8k a properly equipped 1/2 ton will do. Anything over 8k should be a Diesel 3/4 ton at least. But now most these 1/2 tons get stupid high tow ratings but not great payloads. Not all 1/2 tons are equal. Some Rams and Ford's under 1500lb payload. I have a Chevy Silverado 1/2 5.3 liter Max trailer package with a 1910lbs payload,10,100 tow cap. I Tow a 6600lbs Hemisphere 29bhs. About 31 feet of trailer. E rated tires, air bags, Hellwig sway bar, powers stop brakes and adjustable shocks. Air up the tires to 65 when towing, level the truck with the bags after correct equalizer setting and Viola, tows like a dream uphills (Cascades)or in the wind (Columbia Gorge). Blows by my buddy's 3/4 ton gasser yet rides great empty. No white knuckle. Good luck, but some 1/2 tons should easily tow your trailer. Just not the light duty 1/2 tons
Dwjackson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #134
Site Team

Air bags have a place in the RV world.
My previous Silverado 1500 was used to pull a little 18' TT. It weighed around 4200 loaded with food water etc. I didn't use a WD hitch but did have slide bar friction anti sway which worked well.
Some of our trips we hauled my Suzuki Intruder motorcycle in the back of the truck and even a couple large bags of fire wood. On those times I could add a little air to my air bags and get nice and level.
Without the motorcycle I left the air bags at the minimum 10 PSI.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Air bags have a place in the RV world................................I could add a little air to my air bags and get nice and level.
This is where the help us too. After hitching up the 5er the rear squats about 2.5". At night this causes my low beams to be as high beams, blinding oncoming traffic.......,

The air bags allow me to take the squat out by lifting the rear. This also acts as a WDH shifting a small amount of weight to the front axle.

It also improves the ride inside the cab, so it is a triple win.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
So as I read your post here anything that does increase the capacity of say the axle, or the springs, or the wheels or tires would in fact "Boost Suspension Capacity" (I read that load carrying capacity)?

In fact I agree with that statement. In my year range of PU the only differences between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton SRW trucks were:

1. an additional helper spring added to the the spring stack that did not come into play til the rear had squatted significantly.
2. one size larger tires as standard.

ALL other suspension and drive train components were identical and interchangeable between the 2500 & 3500 series trucks

So by adding that helper spring and larger tires I can effectively safely carry the rated load of a 1 ton even though my door sticker does not reflect this.

We are talking safe operation here, nothing more..
Old 06-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
So as I read your post here anything that does increase the capacity of say the axle, or the springs, or the wheels or tires would in fact "Boost Suspension Capacity" (I read that load carrying capacity)?

In fact I agree with that statement. In my year range of PU the only differences between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton SRW trucks were:

1. an additional helper spring added to the the spring stack that did not come into play til the rear had squatted significantly.
2. one size larger tires as standard.

ALL other suspension and drive train components were identical and interchangeable between the 2500 & 3500 series trucks

So by adding that helper spring and larger tires I can effectively safely carry the rated load of a 1 ton even though my door sticker does not reflect this.

We are talking safe operation here, nothing more..
When you put on larger tires, was there a need to change rims too? What size/weight tire did you go from -> to?

I added Timbrens in place of an additional helper spring to reduce the squat but am close to max of tires.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #138

Another RAM V6 Owner

Just thought I would weigh in. Appears I was extremely late to this post. I have a 2016 Ram V6 4x4 Crew cab 5.5 bed with 3:21 gears. I pull a 2015 Coachmen Catalina 213BH. It weighs 4246lbs and it pulls it just fine. I realize we are talking close to 750lbs more but thought I would chime in if anyone else was considering a TT my size. I do have the RAM brake controller. I was considering buying a 5000 lb Shasta 25RS but now this discussion has me second guessing.

Did I see someone suggest to changing the gears to 3:55 for $600? Where can I get that done?!?
WKUalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
I used my 2016 V6 Chevy Colorado (7,000 Lbs towing capacity) to pull my Rockwood 2306 Mini Lite. Is about 3800 Lbs, pulled the guy up to the Eisenhower Tunnel at 13,000 Ft at 45 MPH at 4,500 RPMs with room to spare. Could push to 55 MPH but did not wanted to hotdog the engine. Traded the camper last weekend and pulling with my 2020 2500HD Duramax W/T. I can say, this truck is a beast when it comes to towing. Can keep up with traffic hauling a 10,000+Lbs empty weight camper like is not back there. Also, can keep up at 75MPH on the hwy at any grade so far. MPGs are around 11 if I stay at 75MPH. On the Colorado, saw it once drop to 4 MPGs on a very strong headwind, like a 25 MPH head wind and driving at 65 MPH, combined, an Aero Drag as if I was driving 90 MPH. Could not get off 3rd gear unless I drafting a Semi and was able to get up at about 8 to 10 MPGs. Worse mileage I ever saw.
Must have been flying high to hit 13,000 ' at the tunnels since the max elevation is 11158' but hey what's a couple thousand feet lol
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:16 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
When you put on larger tires, was there a need to change rims too? What size/weight tire did you go from -> to?

I added Timbrens in place of an additional helper spring to reduce the squat but am close to max of tires.
I went from 265-75R16 to 285-75R16 tires. No need to change the rim at all. The rim is capable of handling the additional weight, so the tire was a net gain.

Tags
truck