Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

I'm still torn about a WDH - help me out

OK, I've been reading and testing feverishly and I have a lot of stuff figured out with my new truck/camper (thanks in part to everyone here!)

I'm still torn about the WDH. I dont mind spending the money if it makes sense but it's one more thing to deal with.

1. My RV dealer said I dont need it with the F-150 I bought
2. The trailer/RV supply place I bought the ball from even told me I wont need one
3. People here have told me both

I took the empty camper out for a test drive and it seemed to pull fine. There isn't a ton of sag to the setup etc.

I've been trying the calculators and checking my trucks stats and honestly it's not adding up to me.

Could use some honest arguments for pros/cons (yes Ive read MANY of the forums here)

E-Pro E20FBS - 3400 lbs empty - full would be maybe 4300ish? (A full water tank alone is around 270lbs?)

Truck is F-150 3.5L ecoboost with 3.55 gears - has a towing mode with sway control and trailer braking (is that enough for mild sway?)

Payload will be my wife, me, a dog and a full truck bed of crap - I'm guessing an average of around 800lbs...

I've lately been working through this calcualtor in my owners manual (see attached)

I've also attached my hitch sticker - which based on my rough calculations of payload and trailer puts me right at or slightly over the 5,000 lbs...

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manual.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	266266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211019_095325x.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	266267  
Old 11-30-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Using the standard percentage of 13% and the max hitch weight of the vehicle the max trailer weight is about 3900 lbs. The other consideration is sway control. With a simple ball ( only) hitch you will have no sway control.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
llr

your tongue weight will probably be over 500lbs so yes you should have one.

I like the ones with integrated sway control, Blue Ox sway pro for me. However with that weight any WDH should work well.
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #4

I have a similar size and weight Palomini TT that typically doesnít weigh over 4K when loaded(no water). I was very happy with the WDH when towing with my Frontier but, I traded for a Ram 1500 quad cab and longer bed.
The WDH was adjusted for the new TV but I feel itís overkill. Even the manual says for my setup itís not needed!
Iíve gone on some short pulls on just a ball and it feels fine. There is very little squat so the headlights arenít a problem.
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #5

I would think a WD would be in order due to the tongue weight involved. I have found actual tongue weight to be closer to 15% of trailer weight. This would put you at or above the load weight of the hitch without a WD system in place. I would error on the side of safety and make sure I was not at my max rating on any one part of the whole setup.
Just my opinion of course.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #6

I think you'll likely be fine without one but a weight distribution hitch certainly can't hurt..
If I were you I would try without one and see how your trailer and truck handles at highway speeds. If it sways at all, a weight distribution with sway control will make your towing experience a lot more safe and less nerving...

This is the hitch I would recommend you look into https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...srpt=TOW_HITCH
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:26 PM   #7

Stupid related newb question - is it common to drive with fresh water tank full or partially full? I would have guessed so but that could cause issues (sway) with that much water sloshing around?
Old 11-30-2021, 12:27 PM   #8

You will thank those who recommend one, an you will be happy that you had one during windy conditions or Semis passing you at high speeds. For the cost, it is better to have than have not. it is one of those no question I need it items.

You're sig states you're from CO, Im sure you had a chance to drive in the Midwest where wind and I mean huge wind is prevalent. a weight distribution with sway control worth every penny, even if you feel or think you dont need one
Cost is minimal vs the stress & changing your shorts evert 10 miles.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30 [/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by colomap View Post
Stupid related newb question - is it common to drive with fresh water tank full or partially full? I would have guessed so but that could cause issues (sway) with that much water sloshing around?
I don't travel with water in the tank, why carry around all that extra weight. If the site you're going to has no city water, just fill your fresh water tank when you arrive. Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon and if your tank is 50 gallons you're carrying around an extra 415 pounds... If you just plan to use it for overnight travel stops just put a few gallons in it.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #10
llr

Quote:
Carrying water is almost as devisive as which truck to use or gas vs diesel. We like our home water and always travel with a full tank.

Where is the tank located in your TT? If it is in back then it could cause sway issues and you may want to minimize the amount carried. If it is in front and your truck has the payload to handle it you will be more stable.

Edit: There are no stupid questions, just be prepared to sort through a lot of opinions to figure out what works for you
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #11

I did a recent test to see how much water we would go through on a 4 night stay at a campground. I filled my tank before leaving home using a meter on the hose. We camped at a campground, but only hooked up electric. When the wife and I got home, I drained 23 gallons of the 55 gallons we started with. As mentioned already, if you are traveling to a campground with water, I would only have about 10 gal in fresh tank to allow bathroom stops, washing hands etc. Water moving around in a tank is not a huge factor on handling, that of course is subject to the location of the tank vs the axle. In front of the axle will add tongue weight to the truck but also would help negate any sway. Behind the axle will lighten the tongue and tend to amplify the sway more.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #12

I have a G20BHS, so similar size and weight as you. I use a WDH. I'm sure I'd be "okay" without it, but my opinion is that it can only help. There are no downsides. It only takes and extra minute or two to put on the bars, so it's not a chore by any means.

As for water, I don't tow with much in my tank. Like yours, I have a 30 gallon fresh water tank, so it's quite a bit of weight. It's well forward, so at least it doesn't induce sway, but it's a big hit on tongue weight. I tend to travel with just about 5 gallons in the tank. This is enough to use the sink and toilet if we need to make a potty break along the way.

And as for tongue weight, it's going to be higher than you imagine. I think mine says something around 460 lbs of empty tongue weight. I can easily hit 800 lbs on the tongue loaded up with the bikes, a little water, and our other supplies on board.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #13

Fresh water is 30 gallon and sits in front of the axle
Old 11-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #14

A WDH will help level everything out including squat due to the payload in the back of the truck because it does not work by tongue weight - it works by the angle created between the tow vehicle and the trailer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	266271

I've used the simple WDH from Harbor Freight for $230 on two trailers. One was a Geo Pro G17RK about 3900 lbs with 500 lbs hitch weight (2 GC batteries) - pulled by a 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan (all stock).

Then I moved the hitch to a Sonic 231VRL at 5850 lbs with 650 lbs hitch weight - pulled by 2008 Dodge Durango.

It has no sway control and I've never had problems with sway yet. I use it to keep a level towing configuration. I also replaced the rear shocks on the Durango with load adjusting shocks with coil springs on them and the front shocks with heavy duty so I have very little bounce when towing.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #15

30gal = 250 #
given that the fresh water tank capacities usually include the hot water tank of say 6 gal, your tank itself would hold 24 gal = 200#

guesstimating, that would add about 80# to your tongue weight with the balance carried by the trailer axles.

Bottom line - if you have a water source at your destination, travel light. If not, then plan on the extra tongue weight in your decision on the WD hitch. - I would vote to get the WD, thus giving me the freedom to choose the load of water I need for any particular trip.

We plan on heading to Arkansas in June 22 for our daughters wedding. I plan on starting with full fresh, and empty greys and black tanks. Our four days of travel will be pretty much deadhead to Arkadelphia. We will stop at rest areas or truck stops for overnight, so no water hookups. Once there, we will have full hookups and then our return trip will be the same process. This trip will be one of the few times I will start with a full 60 gal fresh tank. I did add a brace under the middle of the tank, from frame rail to frame rail so I do not have to worry about tank sag and possible falling out due to questionable support above the coroplast sheeting.

Bottom line: You need to decide for yourself on how much water to carry to fit your plans. I do not think you will find an overall consensus on full or light. Some will say - I always carry a full tank, and others will say - I only carry 5 gal. Both are okay, for different styles and reasons.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #16

Quote:
OK, I've been reading and testing feverishly and I have a lot of stuff figured out with my new truck/camper (thanks in part to everyone here!)

I'm still torn about the WDH. I dont mind spending the money if it makes sense but it's one more thing to deal with.

1. My RV dealer said I dont need it with the F-150 I bought
2. The trailer/RV supply place I bought the ball from even told me I wont need one
3. People here have told me both

I took the empty camper out for a test drive and it seemed to pull fine. There isn't a ton of sag to the setup etc.

I've been trying the calculators and checking my trucks stats and honestly it's not adding up to me.

Could use some honest arguments for pros/cons (yes Ive read MANY of the forums here)

E-Pro E20FBS - 3400 lbs empty - full would be maybe 4300ish? (A full water tank alone is around 270lbs?)

Truck is F-150 3.5L ecoboost with 3.55 gears - has a towing mode with sway control and trailer braking (is that enough for mild sway?)

Payload will be my wife, me, a dog and a full truck bed of crap - I'm guessing an average of around 800lbs...

I've lately been working through this calcualtor in my owners manual (see attached)

I've also attached my hitch sticker - which based on my rough calculations of payload and trailer puts me right at or slightly over the 5,000 lbs...

Thanks everyone!

get the Andersen simple easy set up , takes care of any possible sway or bounce . most WDH just deal with weight and you need to add to them for sway control . the andersen is all in one . it's what i did 7 yrs ago and never looked back
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:20 PM   #17

OK, I called etrailer and went through the setup and some options and pulled the trigger on a Blue Ox with sway control - should give us some piece of mind

thanks for all the replies!
Old 11-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #18

I think you made an informed and intelligent decision. Now you can stop worrying about this issue. Gives you more time to spend on the other "What If" questions.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #19

I think we are actually going to go camping this weekend - in Denver! It's been in the 70's here - what's up with that!?
Old 11-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #20

Is your F150 setup with the higher end tow package? and is it a 2017 or newer?

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ft-233884.html

Same trailer as your 20fbs Geo Pro and E Pro

Inciter is offline   Reply With Quote