Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2022, 12:50 PM   #1

In Dash GPS/Stereo

I have an older 2003 Chevy Duramax with the stock CD/Bose system in it. I'm pondering a changeover to an "In Dash" GPS/Stereo system that will also connect to my Android phones. I have all external GPS, Rear view camera, TPMS screens now. Dash is pretty full. I'm just wondering who has done a changeover, what did you buy, and how do you like it? Did you do it yourself, or was installed by somebody such as Car Toys?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:56 PM   #2

If you upgrade to a unit with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay then you can display your phone's navigation on the infotainment screen. If you go to places where there is no cell service, you can always download a nav app that doesn't need cell service.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:19 AM   #3
Camping the Natural State

Go to Crutchfield.com and put in your vehicle info. They make it easy. You can do it step by step.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Go to Crutchfield.com and put in your vehicle info. They make it easy. You can do it step by step.
I'll give it a try. I think my biggest concern is how quickly these units become outdated. It's much easier to replace an external unit than one that's built in.

Former Montana owner
Old 02-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #5
Open Space Wanted

I like having a clean dash and been using integrated radio/GPS units since the turn of the millennium. Newer models have integrated cameras and also a plus.

You can try and debate that aftermarket units may have X better than integrated but not all vehicle functions wind up working in the end, especially steering wheel controls. I update maps at about 3/4 years. I have a phone as a backup GPS and find over the decades, I've used it less.

Now since getting my RV last year, I have a cluttered window with TMPS and RV camera with wires which quickly come off after trips. The only other thing I run when on the highways is a V1.

Wanted to add satellite radio is a big plus as well. Nothing like listening to your presets throughout the country. Haven't listened to local radio in as many years and don't miss it. The death of WHFS in the DC metro area was also a factor. About the only other radio station I've come across that was good and still around is 91X. WLIR was also a decent station but didn't come in good from the city and can't stand static. A strong FM station has better audio quality than the best satellite radio channel. Some channels are awful due to lower bit rates and typically talk radio which I've never been a fan of.

If you upgrade to the manufacturer's "higher end" audio, it's more than adequate for music in a vehicle; they've come a long way in some models. A vehicle is no place for "critical" music listening if that's even a thing anymore. People are content with awful streaming quality and BT audio.

We even had Sirius TV when it came out and the timing worked out great when they discontinued the service. Unfortunately it was a handful of kid channels but could be viewed anywhere. The plus again, was integration and could control from steering wheel, dash or a remote from the rear if the little ones knew how to use.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:58 PM   #6

It's funny you mention WHFS RedRover. I grew up just a few miles from that station in Maryland in the late 60's. Used to party there with the DJ's.

I'm more interested in the GPS end of the in dash units. I just need an adequate stereo system. I went to the Crutchfield site as recommended, and they do have quite a few options. I was amazed though at how much of their stuff is out of stock. Not really very many choices out of all the different units that are made. I may need to wait awhile to see if that improves. It looks like the installation should be entirely doable. Thanks for the responses.

Former Montana owner
Old 02-13-2022, 04:16 PM   #7
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
It's funny you mention WHFS RedRover. I grew up just a few miles from that station in Maryland in the late 60's. Used to party there with the DJ's.

I'm more interested in the GPS end of the in dash units. I just need an adequate stereo system. I went to the Crutchfield site as recommended, and they do have quite a few options. I was amazed though at how much of their stuff is out of stock. Not really very many choices out of all the different units that are made. I may need to wait awhile to see if that improves. It looks like the installation should be entirely doable. Thanks for the responses.
Small world and hopefully still have that same taste in music.

Unfortunately 'electronic stores' are scarce and people are content with amazon. The later may have better prices (in some cases for some things) and need to compare with other stores to verify.

Availability of many things have been affected, especially electronics. Chip 'shortage' issues are starting to alleviate so hopefully we'll see improvements over the next half year although inflation will probably be around for at least the remainder of the year.

Not sure what local chains you have near you but here's a couple from the area that show availabiilty. You can also try Target or similar stores but your choices will be limited. Probably won't find in-dash units but worth a check. If you're looking at a new vehicle then you may want to find out what upgrades they have for that vehicle.

https://www.cabelas.com/r/shop/en/SearchDisplay#q=auto%20gps

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gps-nav...d=abcat0301014

https://www.microcenter.com/category...gps-navigation

Some people swear by niche RV GPS units and really up to you if you think it would save you from getting onto roads that make you nervous. Check out Garmin and see what they have along with pricing.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/automotive/

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/autom...motorhome-gps/

Good luck.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:31 AM   #8

Car Toys is about the only specialized Audio/GPS retailer in this part of the country that I am aware of. I am really interested in one unit I saw on Crutchfield's site.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX....html?tp=20222
Has the provisions in the GPS for vehicle size and height. Also can function through Android auto with Google Maps and other available apps. Of course those only work when you have cell phone signal. That's where the Garmin comes in handy. Also like the hands free phone and text features. Probably wouldn't use the camera features. I have a Furion wireless on my Fifth Wheel, and I doubt that would sync with this unit. It's pretty pricey, but I don't mind paying if it does all of the things I need it to do. Installing shouldn't be a problem for me.

Former Montana owner
Old 02-14-2022, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
I have an older 2003 Chevy Duramax with the stock CD/Bose system in it. I'm pondering a changeover to an "In Dash" GPS/Stereo system that will also connect to my Android phones. I have all external GPS, Rear view camera, TPMS screens now. Dash is pretty full. I'm just wondering who has done a changeover, what did you buy, and how do you like it? Did you do it yourself, or was installed by somebody such as Car Toys?

When I got my 2013 F-350 XL a few years back, it came with a basic AM/FM radio and only two crappy, stock door speakers. Any part of that Bose system you have, I would keep (speakers, sub-woofer, amps), except for the head unit. In my case, I replaced the door speakers with Pioneer 4-way speakers and added two more to the back cab. Although the back cab had speaker cutouts and mounting brackets in place, because it's an XL, they didn't install a second speaker pair.

As was already suggested, going to Crutchfield to see what fits your truck is a great start and exactly what I did when I was looking too. I ended up buying a Pioneer 7 inch touchscreen head unit with GPS, Android Auto and HD digital tuner. The unit also has connections for an amp, sub-woofer and multiple camera input sources. I ended up putting in a Pioneer 1000 watt amp and amplified sub-woofer. Since my XL didn't already have one, I installed a backup camera and added a second cargo light camera, both of which are plugged into the head unit. It all works together with this setup nicely and is a huge improvement over what was installed before.

Part of the installation I did myself and the rest was done professionally. It wasn't all that bad replacing the head unit once the mess of wires in the wiring harness is properly mapped out with your current CD Bose system wiring. Other than purchasing a wiring harness, I also got a head unit frame kit, so you may need one too. This is just my experiences with a Ford replacement. Not sure how much easier or difficult it may be with your Chevy.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:29 AM   #10

GPs37FLH, which part of the install did you have professionally done? From what I can see, most of the head install is about matching the unit wiring to the truck wiring and just plugging it in. Looks like attaching to the ebrake signal wiring is the only real wire cutting required on the truck itself. I'm thinking the rear view camera would have to be tapped into the reverse lights to activate when shifting into reverse. Was the rear view camera you bought a specific accessory to the head unit you bought, or was it something generic that was added?

Former Montana owner
Old 02-16-2022, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
GPs37FLH, which part of the install did you have professionally done? From what I can see, most of the head install is about matching the unit wiring to the truck wiring and just plugging it in. Looks like attaching to the ebrake signal wiring is the only real wire cutting required on the truck itself. I'm thinking the rear view camera would have to be tapped into the reverse lights to activate when shifting into reverse. Was the rear view camera you bought a specific accessory to the head unit you bought, or was it something generic that was added?

I installed the head unit and speakers myself. Those are really easy to do once you've mapped out which wires from the wiring harness get spliced with those in your dashboard. I have quite a few features on my Pioneer head unit I could've installed, had the factory wiring been in place. But, because mine is an XL, it was a bare bones truck, and I didn't really "need" all the features anyway. As I said earlier, although there were speaker cutouts and mounting screws for the back cab, there was no wiring, so I installed that as well, but that was it.

My truck didn't have any factory cameras either, but I had those installed professionally, along with the amp and subwoofer. There was quite a bit more wiring needed for the amp and subwoofer that I just didn't want to deal with. The cameras I had them install on the tailgate and cargo light are in the links below. There is also an option for tailgate cameras embedded into the truck tailgate emblem for the big three, but they'll cost a bit more. Pop off the old truck tailgate emblem, and throw on the one with the camera in it. It definitely gives it a nice factory look, but I liked the one below because it sits higher on the tailgate and gets a better and slightly wider view, in my opinion.

You're correct you'll need to tap into the wiring of one of the two rear backup lights for the tailgate camera. The installer who put mine in told me as such, but I don't recall him saying anything about needing to cut the ebrake wiring. You should double check on that before cutting anything if you're doing it yourself.

Lemme know if there's any other questions. Good luck!

Tailgate Camera
https://www.thewireszone.com/product...150-f550-04-14

Ford Tailgate Emblem Camera
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-meA8Ge...em-Camera.html

Cargo Light Camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #12

In my research for units to install I was very interested in a Kenwood unit that has the Garmin RV GPS as a feature. In reading the reviews, some complained that the GPS is already outdated and that Garmin doesn't provide map updates for that type of unit. Is that the case with most of the "InDash" units? My portable Garmin comes with a "Lifetime" maps feature that allows regular upgrading, keeping the unit current. I can get a unit without a GPS that has all of the other features, like Android Auto, etc. at substantially cheaper cost if I don't make GPS a priority. Cost is not necessarily an issue, but I'm not into wasting money. Thanks in advance for your opinions, and experiences.

Former Montana owner

Tags
stereo