Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #1

Installed Curt 4" offset goose ball with Andersen

I have the Andersen Ultimate for my TV and was using the adapter in the rear facing position. Had to set it up that way to keep from hitting the sides of the bed because I have the pin box as low as it will go on the 5er to try to get to level. If I faced the adapter forward, the pin box would hit the side of the bed.

Having it set facing aft means the 5er is closer to the back of the truck and would hit past 60 deg or so. So I went nuts and ordered a Curt 4" offset gooseball. This moves the Andersen back 4". Now I have enough clearance so that the 5er can never hit the back window. I was worried it would move the pivot point too far aft but that actually worked out ok. The Andersen ball was 2" forward of the rear axles before the offset and now it is 2" aft. Will make a trip to the scales to see what impact that has on weight distribution, but not today. 50mph winds.

I'd post pics, but the aren't very interesting and I forgot to take some. Here's an image of the Curt offset:

1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:01 AM   #2

Thanks for the post but please help me understand. I have the Anderson Ultimate also and backed up tight enough that the back of the pin box hit the side of the bed before I was even close to hitting the rear window of the truck. How does the offset gooseball prevent hitting the side of the bed? Thanks again.
NorCalBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:52 AM   #3
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I have a video showing this set up. By adding the 4" offset it it helps mine a lot as the camper has a bottom nose piece that sticks out. This moves the camper back but keeps the weight over the axle still. It adjusts the pivot point.
https://youtu.be/ADm9WFwVIvg
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:12 AM   #4

Talking

Thanks much for the reply and the video. Got it through my head now
NorCalBird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led