Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 06:21 AM   #1

Installing a 12v outlet on gmc terrain

When the fuse disconnect switch is flipped and the ignition key is on acc for towing it also disconnects the power to the 12 volt front outlets. Can we use a spare fuse in the engine compartment to add an 12 volt outlet for the break buddy?
In my opinion this is a poor design from gmc since the vehicle is towable.
Appreciate your help and suggestions.
Elfi
elfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #2

I have a Chevy Colorado that requires a battery disconnect.

I installed a device called Battery Brain (it's on Amazon, among others) that allows me to disconnect the battery with a remote FOB. I then installed a wire directly from the battery for 12v to power my Patriot braking system.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #3

I tow a 2011 Chev Equinox and found there is a 12v outlet in the back cargo area that is always live. I bought a heavy duty 12v extension to run up to the front seat for my brake buddy....works great.

Jaye
Old 03-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #4

Thanks, we tried that but it didn't work, possible problem with the extension cord.
elfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

Make sure you check the fuse rating for your supplementsl brake system against the outlet your using. Some of the systems require a 20 amp fuse while your outlets may only be 10 or 15 amp fuses.
Easiest way is to run a seperate, dedicated outlet with the proper fuse required, directly from the battery to the interior of your toad.
As an example only, check the 12 Volt Battery Direct Kit on the RVI2 website. It will have pic and info and you'll be able to get some idea of whats needed.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #6

Do you think running a wire to connect to the trailer plug to a separate power outlet dedicated just for the Brake Buddy/Patriot brake would be a good idea? I'm thinking of doing that baecause even with an RvI charger my toad battery keeps dying.
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #7

If I'm understand your question, NO. You do NOT want to run your outlet that powers your brake system off your rv. It must be powered by the toad battery.
Why?
Because of your brake a way switch. If your toad breaks a way for any reason, the brake system, powered by the toad battery will work
If you power it off the rv, if the connection is broken the break a way switch will not work cause there won't be any power.
You have to remember that even using the Direct Kit, everytime you hit your brakes, the supplemental brake system activates, and uses a bit of power from the toad's battery. A few days of driving, especially stop and go, will slowly drain your toads battery unless you drive it awhile daily.
The easiest way to keep your toad battery charged is by using a simple 12 volt battery charger.
Again, I'll direct you to the RVI2 web site, and look up their Towed Battery Charger.. When hooked up, it will charge your toad's battery while your driving. I have one on my Subi, powered via the hot wire in my Lexi's 7 wire factory tow harness.
If you don't have a harness, it's a simple matter of running a hot and negative wire from rv battery back to the rear and using a simple trailer plug to connect. Check their web site out...pics and vidios on how to hook up everything.
The 12 Volt Direct Kit will power your toad from the toad battery.
The Towed Battery Charger will charge the toad battery while your driving.
Only reason I direct you to RVI2 is that I have their stuff, it works, but its the only one I'm fimilar with.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical