Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

Insurance Driving monitor issues.

Just thought I would share a significant issue I had with the Progressive insurance Snapshot device. I have learned that they do not like Toyota Tundras and in my case cause severe issues with operability 3 months after installing it.

We were on vacation in Colorado when I noticed the Tundra not wanting to pull steep inclines and at one point got to the top of the pass with no more power and just lucked out we broke over the top before it completely stopped, later that week I had parked on a hill with the emergency brake on. When I got ready to leave I started the truck, released the brake and it did not want to go. Finally got it up the hill, (checked the parking brake and it was released) turned off the engine restarted it and it seemed to have cleared. One block later the truck did it again. This time nothing worked and I was stuck pulling out across traffic when it locked down. The computer would not let the vehicle move, shift gears, anything.

I did quickly figure out that if i gave it full throttle it would move about 3 feet then stop like the brakes or transmission was locking up, I managed to get it out of traffic and on the right shoulder. I shut it off and got out to see if the brakes were smoking or something obvious was wrong underneath, I happen to notice the lights on the Snapshot device were making odd signs so I unplugged it and tried it again. The Turdra started operating pretty much normal again, it still didn't feel like it should but it did see to operate ok.

Moral of the story, there appears to be several law suits against the Snapshot company regarding issues with these devices. I saw at least one other Toyota with similar issues. The device is intended to be passive and not affect the vehicle. I can tell you from personal experience that is not the case, at least for me anyway and Progressive insurance do not clearly tell you it can effect your vehicle.
Lazyboy Recliner replaced Back two chairs.....
J-N-D Wtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
GnS

Those devices often cause too much disruption to the normal operating routines by requesting too much data.

I would NEVER put one of those things on my vehicle. The insurance company is not doing this for your benefit.
GnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post
Those devices often cause too much disruption to the normal operating routines by requesting too much data.

I would NEVER put one of those things on my vehicle. The insurance company is not doing this for your benefit.
Bingo!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

Sounds like a huge lawsuit when a vehicle stalls and gets their occupants killed.

But yeah, even if they did work, I would never allow this. I just shake my head at the liberties people give up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

NEVER EVER EVER put those things on your vehicle. Like somebody said, they aren't benefitting you at all. Insurance companies calculate annual mileage to determine how much to charge you. Those things track your every movement and report back to the company. Not to mention the mechanical problems it is causing.

Andrew

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

My insurance company sends me questionaires in which they want to know annual mileage and other crap. Never filled one out ,just tossed it in the trash. Sounds like the snapshot needs a trash can as well.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #7

Could imagine being charged a higher insurance rate because the snapshot device showed a lot of high throttle operation. It'd think you were accelerating fast (unsafe) but in reality were trying to get moving with a heavy trailer attached to you.

I'd ditch the snapshot and get a new insurance company.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #8

Had the snapshot for 6 months and never did have any problems.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Had the snapshot for 6 months and never did have any problems.
Did you use it on a Toyota Tundra?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

You can have those GPS tracking, how fast ya going, how heavy is your foot, how hard you braking devices. I will pay a little more for insurance just to keep big brother out of my life
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #11

+1 to the above comments. The Snapshot device, the questionnaires, etc--all are just data mining to try and find ways to charge you higher premiums. Don't ever use one--or better yet, have them send you one, smash it with a hammer, and tell them it was stolen. Maybe if enough of them disappear, they'll get the hint...

I despise that sneaky, big brother $hlt...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #12

I have one of those devices in my car and truck. I had to remove the one in the truck to be able to get the vehicle report sent to my email. Called Ford and that was the first question they asked and told me to remove it. They also report hard stops which are de-accelerating by 8mph or more in 1 sec. Mine has a bunch of them where I slowed or stopped for speed bumps and in B-to-B traffic in Atlanta. things like going from 10mph to 2 mph was a hard stop. I am sure that Allstate doesn't review the data, just the totals. Lost my discount on the truck and if I lose it on the car, I will change companies. I think these devices are a piece of crap and will be removing mine any day now.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #13

Google who owns Progressive and see if you want to have anything to do with that company. Big brother is NOT your friend!
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #14

My insurance don't care where i go, I would never put that POS on my car or truck. just saying
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #15

Follow up.

Seems the thread went in a different direction than intended, most are saying I used poor judgement in using the device in the first place which I understand the point. I personally drive a company vehicle with a DIM's system (Driver improvement monitor) and hated it when it was first installed, over several months I got used to it and it helped resolve bad driving habits I had. What I was trying to do is do the same for my wife and daughter, one drives too fast and the other tends to like conserving brake pads until the last possible moment at a stop light. The system was working for the intended purpose and they were starting to drive better. The wife was using all sorts of new dirty words but none the less she was driving better.

For those truly concerned about you privacy and who is watching where you go you may want to look into GM products with OnStar. I have one of those as well and they can track everything and now with lane assist I am not so sure they couldn't steer the vehicle..... just saying.....

I replaced the Toyota before I returned home and now I own a Ford Powerstroke which I couldn't be happier with and no I won't use the Snapshot on any of my vehicles again.
Lazyboy Recliner replaced Back two chairs.....
J-N-D Wtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-N-D Wtexas View Post
Seems the thread went in a different direction than intended, most are saying I used poor judgement in using the device in the first place which I understand the point. I personally drive a company vehicle with a DIM's system (Driver improvement monitor) and hated it when it was first installed, over several months I got used to it and it helped resolve bad driving habits I had. What I was trying to do is do the same for my wife and daughter, one drives too fast and the other tends to like conserving brake pads until the last possible moment at a stop light. The system was working for the intended purpose and they were starting to drive better. The wife was using all sorts of new dirty words but none the less she was driving better.

For those truly concerned about you privacy and who is watching where you go you may want to look into GM products with OnStar. I have one of those as well and they can track everything and now with lane assist I am not so sure they couldn't steer the vehicle..... just saying.....

I replaced the Toyota before I returned home and now I own a Ford Powerstroke which I couldn't be happier with and no I won't use the Snapshot on any of my vehicles again.
The OnStar version of this is optional. They need your permission to use it.

Bruce
Old 07-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #17

[QUOTE=J-N-D Wtexas;1267020]Seems the thread went in a different direction than intended, most are saying I used poor judgement in using the device in the first place which I understand the point.

/QUOTE]

If it appeared as though I did say that, I never meant to.

What I meant was, I would never knowingly allow someone to track my every movement, which is why I refuse to have one of those tracking devices installed in my vehicle, nor do I keep the GPS unit in my cell phone active all the time. Yes both can track your movements. As far as On-Star goes, Yes it can track you if you keep it turned on, but you have the ability to turn it off, although the vehicles collision sensors will indeed turn it back on for emergency purposes.

And Yes, your vehicles onboard computer tracks everything but fortunately that information needs to be downloaded via the OBD link if you have the satellite link shut down.

Murelene's 2015 Equinox has OnStar but we don't pay the subscription so it can only be used in emergency situations
My 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD never even heard of OnStar, I keep it because it is rust free and only has 61600 miles on it (I have been retired for almost 8 Years)
Neither motorcycle has any satellite link
nor does the Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis

And I plan on keeping it that way.

Face it, if your government had their way, we would all be micro chipped like we do to our pets.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance