Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2022, 11:08 AM   #1

Is hitch size correct????

After towing my 2022 Cherokee 28FK-L to Vermont and New Hampshire this past season, I noticed that my 2021 F150 was sagging in the rear which of course caused the front to be higher than normal. This is with me hanging 9 links in the chain which is the maximum number recommended with my Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch.
After doing some research with Blue Ox and the specs from Rockwood on the RV, I discovered that the hitch bars I have are rated for a maximum 1000 lbs hitch weight, however, the RV has a dry hitch weight of 1155 lbs. With a front kitchen, the tongue weight is certain to be more than 1155 lbs when the RV is loaded.
It appears to me that I should have the 1500 lb bars to bring my truck back to its recommended height both front and back, and allow me to hang fewer links of chain on the hitch. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Fayliss
2021 Ford f150 XLT, 5L, Garmin RV760MT
Travel Companions - Zoey and Zeus
fayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:18 PM   #2

Yes. Get new bars.
ppine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #3

Something else to consider. The truck may be rated for that much payload but it’s going to act like a big lever on the hitch rather than all loaded in the bed.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:51 PM   #4

I’d start by taking the truck and trailer to the scales to get some real numbers rather than guessing at the weights.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch racing View Post
I’d start by taking the truck and trailer to the scales to get some real numbers rather than guessing at the weights.
+1

BTW - What is the maximum PAYLOAD stated at the top of the yellow sticker in your truck's driver door jamb? Is your truck optioned with the 53C heavy duty trailer towing package?

When you go to the scales, load your Cherokee and your F-150 with the people, pets and cargo as you would when you go camping so the weights reflect actual traveling conditions. Forum member Ependydad has a terrific website with Cat Scale weighing information HERE.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:55 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch racing View Post
X3. If it sags as you say, it doesn't appear your transferring much of anything to the front. Yup, got to get some real numbers to determine where you are.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #7

Before buying a new WDH, check the hitch rating, specifically the Weight Distribution Hitch Rating of the hitch on the truck. The Blue Ox Pro does have bars rated to 1500 lbs.

Sounds as though the hitch and the angle may be incorrectly set for your trailer and your truck. The are several good UTube videos showing how to properly set up a WDH.

On a level surface, measure the truck fender well height, both front and back, with no trailer attached. Then connect the trailer and WDH as you normally tow. If the front and rear dimensions measured earlier go decrease by equal amounts, (+/- 1/4 inch) then the WDH is properly set.

The truck is much like a see-saw. One end goes down the other end goes up. With a WDH correctly adjusted, one end goes down just as much as the other end. Thus the weight is distributed equally front to rear or rear to front.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:31 PM   #8

I had to order new bars back in 2014 for our W&P toyhauler towed with a F250. A 900 lb advertised tongue weight on a 6,000 lb trailer was way off. New 1,500 bars made a great improvement and leveled the truck. Weighed the trailer soon after finding the trailer was just over 11,000 lbs with a 1,000 lb golf cart loaded. There is not 4,000 lbs of junk on board.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:15 PM   #9
KB1

Taking the truck and trailer to a scale will give you gthe GVW of either or both but will not give you the hitch weight. Google DIY hitch weight and you can build a hitch weight scale using a thrift shop bathroom scale.
KB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayliss View Post
After towing my 2022 Cherokee 28FK-L to Vermont and New Hampshire this past season, I noticed that my 2021 F150 was sagging in the rear which of course caused the front to be higher than normal. This is with me hanging 9 links in the chain which is the maximum number recommended with my Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch.
I'm curious as to why you are at 9 links, which is the maximum. That is providing bare minimum weight distribution.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
It appears to me that I should have the 1500 lb bars to bring my truck back to its recommended height both front and back, and allow me to hang fewer links of chain on the hitch. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Fayliss
I don't know about your specific rig, but I'll share what we found when we were towing a trailer behind our Toyota.

We didn't know anything was wrong until we parked in a spot which was completely level. (They are hard to find. Most lots slope.)
Then looking at the rig from the side, it was pretty obvious that the truck and trailer were not level and the rear of the truck and the front of the trailer were sagging toward the center.
So we adjusted the number of links until the truck and trailer formed a straight line when observed from the side. Towing got much easier.

We were towing a much lighter trailer though. I'm not sure new bars are going to solve your problem. That's a pretty heavy trailer and you need to check your weights as suggested above.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:57 PM   #12
KB1

Do it yourself hitch/tongue weight scale -->>.
KB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I'm curious as to why you are at 9 links, which is the maximum. That is providing bare minimum weight distribution.
I agree. With ours depending on the load, I use either the 5th or 6th link from the bar of the WDH. If I used 9 links the chains would be almost slack and thus the WDH does nothing except drag the trailer behind the truck.

See the uTube videos on setting up a WDH and also on how best to hook up and disconnect your trailer.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:56 PM   #14
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
Taking the truck and trailer to a scale will give you gthe GVW of either or both but will not give you the hitch weight. Google DIY hitch weight and you can build a hitch weight scale using a thrift shop bathroom scale.
No, one of the weights you get at the scales is your actual TW without the WDH. Relying on a bathroom scale is pure shade tree.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:04 PM   #15

As was mentioned previously, be sure to check the weight rating of the hitch receiver on your truck. I know they vary, but your tongue weight exceeds the rating of the receiver on my F-150, which is labeled 1,050 lbs. max, with WDH.
You may, or may not, be exceeding your hitch rating.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
No, one of the weights you get at the scales is your actual TW without the WDH. Relying on a bathroom scale is pure shade tree.
To get the actual tongue weight on a CAT scale you need to weigh twice:

1. Tow vehicle only.
2. Tow vehicle with trailer and NO weight distribution.

Take the steer and drive axle weights in #2 and subtract the steer and drive axle weights from #1 and the difference is the tongue weight of the trailer.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:58 PM   #17

Quote:
After doing some research with Blue Ox and the specs from Rockwood on the RV, I discovered that the hitch bars I have are rated for a maximum 1000 lbs hitch weight, however, the RV has a dry hitch weight of 1155 lbs. With a front kitchen, the tongue weight is certain to be more than 1155 lbs when the RV is loaded.

Fayliss
I have the Blue ox hitch’s s well. Works great. Based on what you’re saying I would go for the 2000lb bars instead of the 1500. This would ensure you’re getting enough strength needed without the fear of letting the rear end sag.
Crazyman819ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:09 PM   #18

Quote:
The correct way to do this is 8-9 from the loose end. Not the other way round. Make sure you’re doing it correctly. But your bars are too light. Go for 2000lb bars.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyman819ca View Post
The correct way to do this is 8-9 from the loose end. Not the other way round. Make sure you’re doing it correctly. But your bars are too light. Go for 2000lb bars.
8 to 9 links on the chains provides zero wight distribution unless the angle of the WDH head is pretty extreme. You do know about adjusting the angle of the WDH head, right?
Old 11-24-2022, 08:47 PM   #20

Quote:
8 to 9 links on the chains provides zero wight distribution unless the angle of the WDH head is pretty extreme. You do know about adjusting the angle of the WDH head, right?
Yes I am aware. But ensuring that the correct links are used from the correct end would be my first adjustment before pulling the entire system apart.

Tags
hitch, size