Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #61

I would pass on the truck you're considering. I'm very curious about the specs on the "new" 7.3 V8.
Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #62

Please do a search about reliability issues with the Ford/Navistar 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engines. Many people have had good luck but a much larger ownership percentage have had serious (and expensive) repair issues. If you want a Ford, get one with the Ford 6.7. It's a much better engine. And I've owned my 2015 Ram 2500 CTD for over four years. I don't find the DEF and emissions systems any problem whatsoever. And I went from two previous Fords with the 7.3 diesel.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
Why not? I run a tuner because it improves fuel mileage and shifting. Firming up the shifting makes bands last longer and I get lock up in 3rd gear on my 2010 Ram. It makes my exhaust brake stay on longer too which saves my brakes. The H&S MiniMax is shown in the picture. Same tuner I run and they only delete if running custom downloaded tunes that are separate from the H&S tunes and you have to buy them separately. The delete tunes do not come with the tuner unless they were purchased separately from an independent tuner.
I thought about deleting my 2012 CTD when I had it. I'm too old to hot rod a diesel truck. Problem is there's a large majority of guys that would run level 4 or 5 too often.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I thought about deleting my 2012 CTD when I had it. I'm too old to hot rod a diesel truck. Problem is there's a large majority of guys that would run level 4 or 5 too often.
All level 4 or 5 does is increase the HP and parameters to actually use it. Very useful when you need it for going up hills with a load. I suppose you could use it for racing if you are of that age
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #65

Big George

Need help, we were told that our 2010 georgetown need a new motor, the coach has 16536 miles on it, does anyone have a name and a phone number for someone high up with ford, please need their information, the motor is going to cost $10.000, thank you
Big George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #66

If you are pulling 9k with an F150 you definitely need more truck if you are going to go any distance. A pre-owned, tinkered with, rig is a very iffy buy for the purpose.

The first question that comes to mind is: if the rig is in such good shape, why did the other guy get rid of it?
dlambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Need help, we were told that our 2010 georgetown need a new motor, the coach has 16536 miles on it, does anyone have a name and a phone number for someone high up with ford, please need their information, the motor is going to cost $10.000, thank you
I'd try the Ford dealership. It might be worth it to try somewhere that sold fleet trucks. They would probably know the most about if there is a chance Ford would cover it. Hopefully, with that low of miles they can make the case to do something for you.

Sorry to hear about this.

Which motor?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #68

Not trying to step on anybodies feet here. But there is so much misinformation in this thread. Eric had it mostly right that the tuner shown is a H&S Minimaxx. It could very well be a stock tuner with delete tunes. It would be the "off road" version which is no longer made. And hasn't been made in a number of years. The 6.4 is a good motor that has its share of issues just like any other engine. Most of the issues are emissions related which you don't have to worry about. The thing you should worry about with a tuned truck isn't the motor MOST of the time. Its the transmission. People talk about "bullet proofing" all the time, what you dont here about is building your trans to handle the additional power. If who ever had that truck drove it around on the "Hot" tune. (The highest tune on a minimax. +250 HP and about +400 Tq on a 6.4) The transmission is either toast, or will be soon. If it has an aftermarket trans like a Sun Coast or ATS then I would say your good to go for as long as you wanted to drive the truck. BUT.....the main issue I have with that truck is the fact its deleted with a Minimaxx. They are out dated and pretty much obsolete. There is zero support from H&S for a delete capable tuner. If something ever happened to that tuner, you would either have to go back to stock though a dealership which would cost a bunch, or "redelete" using a more up to date system like RaceMe custom tuning or EFI live to name a few.

To put it in perspective, I have a 2013 Ram with the 6.7. I have a bunch done to my truck. On my hottest tune, I have put down 530 hp and a 826 ft. lbs. That is to the wheels, not at the crank. I have had the truck since new and it has been deleted since it had about 2500 miles. It now has 113k miles on a completely stock engine with the exception of head studs. I did install a built trans because I knew the stocker would not last. But that's it. I have deleted every diesel I have ever owned because of one reason, the emissions technology wasn't there. Manufacturers rushed to meet gov't guidelines and that is where MOST of the problems came from on the 08 to 10 Fords. But more than likely, my next truck will remain stock until something happens out of warranty.

And also, deleted trucks are in fact illegal. Any diesel made for highway use after 07 must be emission compliant. Getting an inspection sticker (if your state requires one could be an issue) And while its never happened to me, I have heard stories of guys getting shut down by DOT officers for being deleted. Also, it is illegal for a dealership to sell a deleted truck. You can use this to your advantage. Dont let them tell you that its legal, its not. I recently went through this with a local VW dealership for a colleague. It took a while but once I proved the issue in black and white, he ended up with a heck of deal on 6.7 Ford.

All in all, don't be afraid of a deleted truck, just do your homework, take it to a professional diesel shop and have them look it over to see whats been done to it.

Again, just trying to clear this topic up a bit. I am not trying to debate stock vs delete. What works for one guy, may not work for the next. Buy what makes you happy and fits your needs. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #69

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
You ditched 2 truck based on what you read on the internet?

Funny how on the internet everyone says YOU MUST DELETE NOW, but DANGER DON'T BUY ONE THAT's DELETED.
That is but one of the many conundrums seen on Internet forums and social media in general... it applies to other stuff as well.

When considering the purchase of a vehicle or other similarly expensive item. it may be best to take the Internet stuff under advisement to a very small degree and buy what works best for the individual who has to live with it. Speak with (real, not just Fecesbook) friends and test drive several vehicles to obtain firsthand information. One observation of the Internet stuff is how problems, even major ones, are diminished online as being just "issues"... no, throwing a rod through the block is not an issue, it is a problem. Blowing a RV tire and damaging stuff adjacent to it is not an "issue", but is rather a problem. But I digress...

Buying a vehicle that has been modified (aka, "dorked over") could result in expensive problems down the line. Maybe that "deleted" Diesel engine is OK in most or all states now, but what will happen in a few years if and when emissions regulations become more strict? It is hoped that anybody who does such modifications is fully aware of this.

The basic guidelines and common sense related to buying a vehicle, especially a used one, should be applied.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #70

What NMWildcat said.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote