Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
AKC

Is there any danger in having more tongue weight?

Assuming the truck is capable of handling it, is there anything wrong with having tongue weight on the higher end of things? I know that having too much weight in the back can cause sway; assuming the truck can handle it is there a similar danger in having tongue weight at 15% or even a bit higher? I understand that too much tongue weight on a truck that can't handle it can cause squat.

My truck CAN handle it. It's a 2017 F-250 with towing package and heavy duty rear suspension. Payload is over 3k pounds, max tongue weight with WD hitch is 1250 pounds. Trailer has GVWR of 7k pounds but would probably never weigh more than 6500 pounds. It is a double-axle trailer.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #2

If one uses common sense there would be no problem. The other limiting factor is the tongue and coupler on the trailer, as long as it can safely handle the weight it should be fine.

Look at how much of the weight is on the hitch with a Semi Truck, it is 40% or more on them and they are just fine.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #3

I don't see an advantage in increasing tongue weight beyond say 15% I would be considering the frame on these light trailers and weight on the coupler and frame not carried by the axles. have enough tongue weight so it doesn't sway and doesn't weigh down the rear of your truck unloading the steer wheels.

I wouldn't compare what a 5th wheel setup can carry to a bumper pull two completely different setups. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC View Post
Assuming the truck is capable of handling it, is there anything wrong with having tongue weight on the higher end of things? I know that having too much weight in the back can cause sway; assuming the truck can handle it is there a similar danger in having tongue weight at 15% or even a bit higher? I understand that too much tongue weight on a truck that can't handle it can cause squat.

My truck CAN handle it. It's a 2017 F-250 with towing package and heavy duty rear suspension. Payload is over 3k pounds, max tongue weight with WD hitch is 1250 pounds. Trailer has GVWR of 7k pounds but would probably never weigh more than 6500 pounds. It is a double-axle trailer.
I would think with that lite a trailer and that much TW you will put to much weight on the front axle of the trailer . See no reason to have that much TW on a 6500 lbs trailer 15% of 6500 is 950 lbs
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:14 AM   #5

Is there any danger in having more tongue weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I would think with that lite a trailer and that much TW you will put to much weight on the front axle of the trailer . See no reason to have that much TW on a 6500 lbs trailer 15% of 6500 is 950 lbs

Single axel trailers have +/- 20% tongue weight so I personally see no issues with too much tongue weight as long as truck, coupler, hitch, etc is rated for it
dsjohns71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Single axel trailers have +/- 20% tongue weight so I personally see no issues with too much tongue weight as long as truck, coupler, hitch, etc is rated for it
OP says he has a double axle trailer not single !
Old 01-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Did you spot my rig? Those are the very numbers I'm running. Truck's odometer has logged over 10,000 miles towing with this setup. Cross winds, mountains, semi's passing, no issue so looks to be the proper setup.

Oh I have had issues with the rear axle of the trailer but nothing with the front.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Did you spot my rig? Those are the very numbers I'm running. Truck's odometer has logged over 10,000 miles towing with this setup. Cross winds, mountains, semi's passing, no issue so looks to be the proper setup.

Oh I have had issues with the rear axle of the trailer but nothing with the front.
And that makes it all ok ! works for you so everybody should do it . not overloading the front tires or axle. so excuse ME. OP you're good to go doesn't matter TW as long as it's over 10% go for it nothing to worry about .After all others do it and feel safe with no issues . forget the fact that you seem to be overloading payload with 1300 lbs TW with your measly 1903 payload . If you would please post your cat scale weights so we can All see
Old 01-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #9

Quote:
OP says he has a double axle trailer not single !
If the trailer is level, I have to ask what difference does it make? Let's say you have a 7000 lb dual axle tailer. If it is loaded with 700 lb tongue weight, or it is loaded with 1400 lb tongue weight, as long as the trailer remains level when connected to the tow vehicle, exactly how much difference it is going to make in the weight distribution between the front and rear axles of the trailer? I would venture a guess at not hardly any.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Yes, I'm at about 22% on the tongue of my single axle. Zero problems.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
And that makes it all ok ! works for you so everybody should do it . not overloading the front tires or axle. so excuse ME. OP you're good to go doesn't matter TW as long as it's over 10% go for it nothing to worry about .After all others do it and feel safe with no issues . forget the fact that you seem to be overloading payload with 1300 lbs TW with your measly 1903 payload . If you would please post your cat scale weights so we can All see
And this Ladies and gentleman is why you must be careful of internet know-it-alls
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAT scale.pdf (774.5 KB, 231 views)
Old 01-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #12
AKC

Well this is really interesting. I got the tongue weight scale out today and weighed it and got quite a surprise. I got the scale that goes up to 1000 and it maxed out. I emptied out the water tank (which sits in the front) and the scale now reads 900 pounds. So I do think it's fairly accurate. The trailer empty is 4k pounds and has maybe 200 - 400 pounds of stuff in it right now. I'm really scratching my head over this. I may start a new thread. I'm not sure the WD hitch is working correctly either, as my front tire squat isn't changing significantly using it vs just using the ball.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

It doesn't matter whether squat changes significantly. I just matters that it rides level after hitching up and the measurements of wheelwells are within specifications of WDH. Why in hell FR decided to put a fresh tank up front is a mystery to me.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Well this is really interesting. I got the tongue weight scale out today and weighed it and got quite a surprise. I got the scale that goes up to 1000 and it maxed out. I emptied out the water tank (which sits in the front) and the scale now reads 900 pounds. So I do think it's fairly accurate. The trailer empty is 4k pounds and has maybe 200 - 400 pounds of stuff in it right now. I'm really scratching my head over this. I may start a new thread. I'm not sure the WD hitch is working correctly either, as my front tire squat isn't changing significantly using it vs just using the ball.
Don't over think this, I made the same mistake at first.
Anyone on the internet tell you a 2017 F250 pulling a 12,000 trailer does NOT need a WDH per Ford engineers?
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...VTTowGuide.pdf

You have a really stiff suspension made for 15,000lb trailers and you're tossing a couple of pounds at it.
Having any issues with how it tows?
Old 01-16-2022, 01:29 PM   #15
AKC

@Mike134 No, I'm not having problems with how it tows, to be honest. It tows really nicely. I towed it out on the highway a little yesterday in 20-30 mph winds, empty, and it did great. Of course now that I know how front-heavy it is, I guess that's not really surprising.

I am just very new to trailering and very nervous about accidents and incidents. I am slowly driving the trailer around more and more, in preparation for an eventual trip from Texas to the PNW. I want to be sure everything is exactly correct and I'm comfortable with any eventualities before I go.

Plus, yes, I am an overthinker. But I don't want to get into trouble because I was too blithe about everything.

No, I know it has to have the WD hitch. I guess I'm wondering, if the weight doesn't seem to be distributed correctly, is the WD hitch even working? And if the WD hitch isn't working, then does it even count as a WD hitch when considering towing capacity?
Old 01-16-2022, 01:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
... Why in hell FR decided to put a fresh tank up front is a mystery to me.
To counterbalance full holding tanks?

chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

Did you measure difference it wheel well heights as defined in your hitch manual? Why do you believe it is not working? You never wrote anything to indicate it is not working.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:33 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
To counterbalance full holding tanks?
Perhaps. But normal condition towing is usually water in fresh tank, holding tanks near empty.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:35 PM   #19

Quote:
... No, I know it has to have the WD hitch. I guess I'm wondering, if the weight doesn't seem to be distributed correctly, is the WD hitch even working? And if the WD hitch isn't working, then does it even count as a WD hitch when considering towing capacity?
I believe the importance of the WD hitch is for keeping weight on the TV steer axle, as much as (or more than?) it is to get weight off the hitch and rear axle. If your steer axle is too light you won't have as much control over steering.

chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #20
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Did you measure difference it wheel well heights as defined in your hitch manual? Why do you believe it is not working? You never wrote anything to indicate it is not working.
I have the following measurements for well wheel height.

Where I had 1000 pounds of tongue weight:
FRONT NO TRAILER: 9
FRONT BALL PULL: 9.5 + (meaning a smidge)
FRONT WD HITCH: 9.5
REAR NO TRAILER: 11
REAR BALL PULL: 9.5
REAR WD HITCH: 9.5

Where I had 900 pounds of tongue weight:
FRONT NO TRAILER: 9
FRONT BALL PULL: 9.25
FRONT WD HITCH: 9.25
REAR NO TRAILER: 11
REAR BALL PULL: 10
REAR WD HITCH: 9.75

So they changed, but not by a lot, and in the second example, with the rear wheel wells, I don't think in the right direction?

Tags
tongue weight, weight