Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 84 View Post
Last summer we took a 5,000 mile trip and averaged 11.5 to 12 MPG. We were in no hurry and drove 55 MPH. This was through mountains and flat lands.
Me too. We took a 4,000 mile trip last year and averaged 11 for the whole trip. We pull a 5,500 lb RV trailer and cruise at about 60 mph.

Question to OP. Since you have "economy" gearing (3.31s), what gear are you towing in normally? Maybe you are towing in 4th? I have 3.73s and tow in 6th 95% of the time. Just wondering if you could get better mileage by figuring out a way to go up a gear; if it will hold it. Maybe try playing with tow speed. Generally the best mileage is at 55 to 60. Over that and it really drops.

I always get my worst mileage towing "out west". The wind can be ferocious and there is no hiding from it. I've found that cross-winds are the worst both for handling and for mileage.

The worst I ever got was 8.5 into a 30 mph headwind and traveling through some significant elevation changes. Best is 13 at 60 mph on flat with a tailwind.

The Ecoboost is powerful. If you really start dipping into the boost; the fuel really disappears. The best predictor of mileage I've found is how much boost I'm using. 2 to 3 pounds is about 11 mpg. 4 to 5 lbs is around 10 mpg. I read my boost with a ScanGauge.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
I see a lot of 8 to 10 miles per gallon on this site. Not to far out of range for the weight your pulling.

Based on other threads on this topic it seems towing 8-10 mpg for gas engines and 11-13 for diesels seem average. My gas engine was 8-9 and my diesel is around 12 pulling more weight.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
My advise to anyone pulling anything big with a 1/2 ton,

1. Get a tranny temp gauge.
2. Increase tranny cooling capacity with an extra forced air cooler and maybe a bigger pan, even if you have factory towing package.
3. Run a full synthetic tranny fliud such as Amsoil.

That's what I do. See sig pic.

And watch that tranny temp while backing into a difficult site. It can really climb up there!
The toe package comes with the tranny gauge- runs cool.

thanks
vintageparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I have a F150 ecoboost and pull a 30' TT, a little lighter than yours and typically get 8-10 mpg depending on travel conditions. Is you towing experience comfortable with your setup? I know my TT is behind me but I forget about it most of the time. It is an easy tow and does not fight me at all. If you experience the same thing then maybe your worrying about mileage ($1200 to AZ). Bigger truck will not make much difference in that cost plus bigger truck means bigger $ all the way around. Bigger truck members can chime in but I don't think in the long run that you will save many $ going from a 150 to a 250 after you factor cost difference of vehicles and gas mileage.

Pulling a 30' TT is not cheap but I don't know your family size but check the cost to fly, hotel, eat out, etc vs the TT cost. And then you would miss out on all the fun of camping with your family plus "You surprised to see us, Clark?"
No family, just my wife and I. Retired from the ministry last summer. No hotels, like to sleep in my own bed. We lived full time in a 5th wheel for about 8 yrs. enjoyed it. I guess I'll just save my pennies and pay for the fuel.
thanks
vintageparson is offline   Reply With Quote